New York City HIV by trinidadc


									New York City HIV/AIDS Housing Resource Database - Types of Housing
§ Emergency shelter-Here people stay in the same building and may share sleeping space, bathrooms, kitchens and other areas. At most emergency shelters, a person can stay no more than 30-90 days. People cannot stay inside some emergency shelters during the day. This may be a problem for some people living with HIV/AIDS. § Transitional housing-A person can stay in this type of housing anywhere from 90 days to 2 years. Many people move to this type of housing when they have left an emergency shelter and are looking for a more long-term place to live. Some transitional housing is only for people with HIV/AIDS and some is for people with disabilities, like mental illness or substance abuse. § HIV/AIDS supportive single room occupancy (SRO) motel/hotel housing-These are apartments that are usually in buildings that used to be hotels or motels. People living in HIV/AIDS SROs often share bathrooms and kitchens. The length of stay varies depending on the SRO. Different SROs have different levels of support services. § Congregate housing-This is housing where a person lives with other people, either as neighbors or by sharing an apartment or house. Most of the time, there is no limit on the amount of time a person can live there. Depending on the program, there may be a lot of supportive services. Some congregate housing is just for people living with HIV/AIDS and some is for people with other disabilities. § Scattered site housing-These are apartments in buildings that are spread throughout the community. For instance, there may be one scattered site apartment in a building on one block and two of these apartments in a building 12 blocks away. There are different amounts of HIV/AIDS support services with this type of housing. Most congregate housing is permanent housing.

Bailey House Inc. 275 Seventh Avenue 12th Floor New York, NY 10001 T (212) 633-2500 F (212) 633-2932

To top