The official journal of RESNA
CHECKLIST FOR PREPARATION OF MANUSCRIPTS AND ILLUSTRATIONS
(CHECK ITEMS AND SUBMIT WITH MANUSCRIPT)
I. General Instructions
• Manuscript must be original and in English. Nonnative speakers are strongly
encouraged to have their submissions thoroughly reviewed by a native English speaker
• Type manuscripts on 8½" × 11" paper (use letter-quality printer). DOUBLE-
SPACE THROUGHOUT, including tables, figure legends and references. Leave at least
a 1" margin on all sides. Use a 12 pt. serif font.
• Do not use italic type Instead, underline words to be italicized.
• Do not italicize common Latin words or phrases (e.g., et al, i.e., sensu, etc.)
• Refer to clients/subjects by number or letter codes unrelated to their names.
• Cite each figure and table in the text. Organize text, as far as possible, so that
items are cited in numerical order.
• Use "Figure" outside parentheses; otherwise "Fig." if singular, "Figs." if plural
(e.g., Fig. 6; Figs. 5, 6; Figs. 4-7b
• Spell out hour, minute, second, year, month, week, day; designate temperature as
• Write out abbreviations the first time used in text; abbreviate thereafter;
"functional electrical stimulation (FES) was used...".
• Numbers: Write out numbers one to ten unless used with a unit of measure or
time (e.g., four clients, 3 mm, 35 sites, 6 years). Use 1,000; 0.13 instead of .13; % instead
• All measurements in the journal should be indicated in both the U.S. measurement
system and metric. If you use metric weights and lengths, add U.S. equivalents in
parentheses. If you use U.S. measurements, add metric equivalents in parentheses.
• Each reference cited in text must be listed in the Reference section and vice versa.
Double-check for spelling and details of publication.
• Assemble manuscript into one electronic file in this order: 1) Title page, 2)
Footnote page, 3) Abstract page, 4) Text, 5) References, 6) Figure legends, 7) Tables, 8)
II. Title Page
• Place running head 2 inches from top of page, in all capital letters. Include a short
title (total characters must not exceed 50).
• Place title near middle of page, centered, in all capital letters.
• Below title, include author(s) name(s), degree(s), affiliation(s), and unabbreviated
complete address(es). Include superscript number(s) following author(s) name(s) to
designate if author(s) is(are) currently at
another location. In multi-authored works, include another footnote
superscript number to indicate the author responsible for correspondence and reprint
requests Include telephone and FAX number of corresponding author.
III. Footnote Page
• Brief acknowledgments, if appropriate, are part of this page as a separate,
• Type footnotes with information that matches footnote numbers on title page and
IV. Abstract Page
• Abstract must be one paragraph.
• Do not use abbreviations in the abstract.
• Be concise (not more than 290 words), but include brief statements about the
paper's intent, materials and methods, results, and
significance of findings,
• Include up to six key words or terms for referencing purposes.
• Follow the instructions in Section I.
• The following are typical main headings: INTRODUCTION, BACKGROUND,
MATERIALS or METHODS, RESULTS, and DISCUSSION.
• Main headings are boldface and all caps.
• Second level headings are boldface with significant words capitalized.
• Third level headings are italic with significant words capitalized.
Style for references is as follows:
Kohn, J. G., Le Blanc, M., & Mortola, P, (1994). Measuring quality and performance of
technology: Results of a prospective monitoring program. Assistive Technology, 6, 120
Fraser, B. A., Hensinger, R. N, & Phelps, J. A. (1990), Physical management of multiple
handicaps (2nd ed.). Baltimore, MD: Paul H. Brookes
Proceedings or Chapter in a Book:
Brooks, N. A., & Hoyer, E. A. (1989) Consumer evaluation of assistive devices. In
Proceedings of the Twelfth Annual RESNA Conference (pp. 358-359). Washington, DC:
• In-text references should be cited using the author's surname and year of
publication. If two or more works are cited, list in alphabetical order and separate with
• Type reference section DOUBLE-SPACED following the text.
• Verify all entries against original sources, especially journal titles, diacritical
marks, and spelling in languages other than English.
• "In press" citations must have been accepted for publication and the name of the
journal or publisher included.
• If a citation cannot be completed at bottom of page, move the entire citation to the
• Figures, table and illustrations must be black and white
• Begin figure legends on a separate page.
• Double-space legends and group them according to figure arrangements if
VI. Submission Complete
A complete submission includes the following. Incomplete submissions will not be
• Cover letter
• Author release form
• Manuscript (with title page, manuscript, figures, illustrations, references as one
• Includes completed checklist.