When The Vikings lived:
• The Vikings lived from the 8th Century
until the 12th Century A.D. ( about 700-
Where the Vikings lived:
• The Vikings lived in Scandinavia:
Sweden, Norway, and Denmark.
• They also explored and conquered
new lands in order to increase their
agricultural land to feed the growing
number of Vikings.
- Ex. Iceland and Greenland
They were the first Europeans to reach
• Baffin Island and Newfoundland
What they did:
• The Vikings raided, attacked, stole,
burned, and hurt or killed many.
• They conquered and took possession of
the land for themselves.
• They explored many places. They were
the best sailors and navigators of their
What the Vikings used:
• The Vikings used weapons: swords, battle
axes, spears, bow and arrows, helmets,
shields for battle.
• Tools: farming tools made from wood, metal,
• Jewelry, coins, pins, keys, combs, charms,
• Longboats: strong ships made of wood. Used for
traveling. They were very fast.
• Knarrs: shorter, used for trading, transport, and
• The Ship-heads: used to scare the enemy, they were
taken off on shore because it was bad luck to keep
them on. They made them look like sea monsters
because they believed the ocean was full of them.
How they lived:
• They farmed on their fertile lands.
• Longhouse: A wide open area for many families that
was made of wood and covered with turf (earth and
grass). There was a hole in the roof to allow the
smoke that was used for heat and cooking to escape.
• Language- Norse, writing- Rune alphabet
• After they conquered land, they took people as
What they believed in:
• They believed in the Kings and Norse
gods. Thor- god of thunder, Odin- chief
god, Frey- fertility god.
• Sea Monsters
• Sagas, legends, myths, and stories they
told their young.
• Afterlife- hall in Assgard (Valhalla)
Erik The Red
• His father was banished from Norway and he
took his son Erik to Iceland to escape.
• He always wanted to explore. He had red
• In 982, Erik was banished from Iceland by the
elders because he killed his neighbours.
• He discovered Greenland and called it that to
make it attractive to people for settlement.
• Son of Erik the Red
• In the year 1000, he became Leif Eriksson
the first European to reach
the coast of North America.
• He discovered Helluland,
(rocky); now believed to be
• He reached Markland
(forest); now called
• He reached Vinland (vines,
green); now called
• They abandoned the small
colony in fear of native
What happened to them
• They stopped their raids and The
English finally conquered them to
extinction in the 12th Century.