Cover Letter Checklist
A quick checklist for you to review before sending out your next cover letter. Go
ahead and ask yourself the following 10 questions to make sure you haven't
forgotten anything important.
• Have I proofread my letter at least twice for grammar, spelling and
• Is the letter addressed to a specific person? Did I include their correct title
and have I spelled the person's name correctly?
• Have I signed the letter in blue or black ink?
• Is my letter confined to one page and no more than three to five short
• Have I highlighted my strengths in the second or third paragraph using bullet
• Does the cover letter focus on the needs of the employer and not on my own
requirements, such as money or flexible hours?
• Do I have a copy of the cover letter for my own records?
• If salary information was specifically asked for, have I included it? (No need
to mention salary if it was not requested.)
• Did I include my resume? Have I placed it behind the cover letter without
staples and folded it neatly in thirds to fit into a standard size envelope?
• And because it's the number one thing people forget to do: Have I signed my
name using blue or black ink?