SMYTH COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS
TUESDAY, JUNE 12,2001, 12:00 NOON
12:00 Call meeting to order .
12:02 Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance,
12:04 Approve minutes of the May 8th and May 29th, 2001 meetings,
12:15 CITIZENS TIME
1. Jesse Sage -reference Hutton Branch Water Project.
2. Frank Chandler -Regional Director of V ACO and Bland County
Board Member .
Department of Social Services $300,000.00
School Textbook Fund 2,500.00
Capital Outlay & School Debt 521,738.00
** General County appropriations and warrant listing will be presented at
the continued Board Meeting on June 14th
12:40 BOARD MATTERS
1. Request the Board adopt the following resolution concerning revising
Virginia EMS Regulations. (Attachment)
2. Matter of Animal Committee recommendation of $500 payment to
Ronnie Blevins in the loss of his dog.
3. Nancy Bise appeared before the Water/Sewer Committee for relief
of the penalties on her past due account, if she paid the original balance of
$720. She advised the committee no connection to the water had been
made and she was under the impression that her ex-husband was paying
this account. The Committee recommends the Board waive judgment
against Ms. Bise, if she pays the outstanding balance of $720 and the
penalties be waived.
4. Water/Sewer Committee recommends the Board approve the attached
agreement with the Town of Chilhowie for water purchase on the Pioneer
Road Water Project.
5. Water/Sewer Committee recommends awarding the pump stations
contract to Jack Owens Plumbing & Heating, Inc., the lowest bidder for the
amount of $29,775.00 and to amend the budget according for the Watson
6. Water/Sewer Committee recommends the Board continue it's meeting
to meet with a Rural Development representative on funding of the Hutton
Branch Water Project.
7. Request the Board approve the FY 2002 Fire Programs Fund
Disbursement Agreement. (Attachment)
8. Request the Board approve payment of end of fiscal year salaries on
June 20, 2001, so checks can clear the Bank prior to June 30, 2001.
Continued Board Matters:
1. Matter of collection of delinquent real estate taxes.
2. Agreement with Comcast for TV Cable Franchise in Smyth County.
3. Petition for sewer service from J. W. Cumbow and other businesses in
the Atkins Area. (Water/Sewer Committee)
4. Matter of adoption a resolution concerning Statewide Mutual Aid for
5. Matter of installation of a 6" water line on Rocky Hollow Road.
6. Insurance/Budget Committee recommendations concerning a Wellness
Program. (County Attorney)
7. Matter of request for fiscal year 2002 funding for the Lincoln Theatre.
8. Matter of request from Monnie Richardson, Parent and Member of the
Sugar Grove Combined School and Community Playground Committee for
assistance toward the cost of a planned walking/hiking track. (Budget
Committee) , ,
Youth Services Advisory Board
Royal Oak -Kelly Owens
Park -Nina Crabtree
Northfork- Chris Snider
Member At Large -Scott Plummer
Wytheville Community College (Expires 6-30-01) Charles Overbay
Rye Valley Water Authority (Expires 6-30-01) Carl Parsons, Jr.
Industrial Development Authority (Expires 6-30-01) Clarence F. Smith
Southwest VA Farmers Market Advisory Board (Expires 9-30-01) Roger
National Disability organization Community Representative (Expires 7-30-
Henry C. Everhart
Community Policy Management Team (Expires 6-30-01)
Sue Clear (Parent Representative)
Penny Dixon (Private Provider Representative)
Southwest Virginia Community Corrections (Expires 10-31-01) Roy F.
Marion Downtown Revitalization Association, Inc. J. S. Staley, Jr.
10. Matter of request from M. Richard Walker, Commissioner of the
Revenue, for a computer at the cost of$4,800 to have access to Clerk's
Office deeds. No maintenance agreement would be requested. (Budget
11. Matter concerning additional pay consideration for the Department of
Social Services Board Members for meetings. (Budget Committee)
12. Resolution providing for the implementation of the Comprehensive
Community Correction Act (CCA) and the Pretrial Service Act (PSA)
establishment of the Southwest Virginia Community Criminal Justice
Board, and provision for Joint Exercise of Powers. (County Attorney)
(Copy of amended resolution attached)
1:00 HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT
1:30 Request the Board enter into executive session concerning values for
easements on water project and recommendation from the Water/Sewer
2:00 Work session with Board Members and adoption of Smyth County
School Board budgets for fiscal year 2001 -2001.
4:00 Public Hearing on Adelphia Cable franchise for Smyth County .
1. Building Inspection Department -May 2001.
2. Animal Control Reports, Incident Reports, Pound Reports
3. Water/Sewer Committee minutes.
4. Department of Social Services minutes.
5. Smyth Wythe Joint Airport Commission minutes
6. Two bids were received for a hen sold by the Animal Shelter. Clifford
Stamper bid $5.00 and David N. Smith bid $2.00. The bid from Mr.
Stamper was accepted.