Accuracy of numerical simulation for transoceanic tsunami
- in case of 2006 Kuril Island earthquake tsunami
SOI Asia Special Symposium
Kingo Munemoto, MC 1st
• JMA issuing the Tsunami warning for far-fields as well as
• Characteristic of 2006 Kuril Island earthquake tsunami
• Numerical analysis with CG Animation
• Accuracy of numerical simulation
• Necessary to improve the accuracy of warning system
Characteristics of 2006 Kuril Island earthquake Tsunami
5min Tsunami warning issued • Far- field Tsunami
• 5 min. Tsunami warning issued
Tsunami advisory canceled • First wave is not so big
• Damage was small
6hours (a few fishing boats turn-overed
Maximum Tsunami height and no human damage reported)
observed • Maximum Tsunami heights were
9hours observed after Tsunami advisory
Fishing boat damaged and canceled
• Computational domain of JMA’s tsunami warning system was
not large enough.
• Difficulty of reconstructing following wave of tsunami by 2
About my research
2006 Kuril Island Earth
quake Tsunami indicate
Kuril Trench We have to consider
the scattering wave
generated on the
Emperor Seamount Chain Chain.
• Where is the most dangerous area of the wave origin in
view of the effect of scattering wave?
• How long does the Tsunami continue if it occurs on Japan
Trench or Kuril Trench?
• To make clear the conditions which makes scattering wave
or edge wave bigger.
Accuracy of numerical simulation for continuous wave
• We can reconstruct the first
wave of tsunami.
• The behaviour of continuous
wave is sometimes too complex
• To improve the accuracy of
numerical simulation, we have to
use finer bathymetry data ,
however it takes a lot of time.
To make tsunami warning
system more credible,and to let
everyone believe the tsunami
warning system, we still have a
DCRC lot of things remained. 5
Thank you for your kind attention