DuPage Public Safety Communications
600 Wall Street
Glendale Heights, IL 60139
(630) 260-7500 Administration
(630) 924-9280 Facsimile
Executive Secretary Summary
Reports To: Executive Director The Executive Secretary performs
FLSA Status: Exempt administrative support to the Executive
Updated: May 27, 2009 Director of DU-COMM.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
The following statements are illustrative of the essential functions of the job and do not include other nonessential or
peripheral duties that may be required. The organization retains the right to modify or change the duties or essential
function of the job at any time.
• The Executive Secretary performs administrative support to the Executive Director of DU-COMM.
• Provides for the efficient operation of the administrative office of the Executive Director by screening
telephone calls, visitors, and mail, answering or referring inquiries and complaints to the appropriate staff,
arranging and canceling appointments and meetings, and processing confidential matters.
• Performs clerical, receptionist, and project based work for the Executive Director and Department Heads.
• Prepares and distributes meeting agendas, packets, and minutes.
• Attends agency meetings as the agency scribe and transcribes notes on all proceedings.
• Receives and screens visitors, telephone calls and correspondences and provides keycard access to
visitors as needed.
• May exercise administrative supervision over staff by coordinating work assignments, agency wide
calendar, and facility room use by staff and/or DU-COMM member agencies.
• Prepares agency meeting rooms for functions including meetings and training.
• Researches, prices, and purchases routine office supplies and facility services within budget and
• Performs purchasing for agency personnel by contacting vendors, preparing purchase requisitions, and
creating purchase orders.
• May review, record and deposit checks and other payments received by DU-COMM.
• Assists in performing personnel tasks that include maintaining personnel files, payroll records, paid time off
accruals and scheduling.
• Occasional travel in personal vehicle will be required to conduct agency business.
• Provides support to administrative staff as directed. Such tasks may include but are not limited to:
photocopy projects, presentations, CD duplications, ICF/FOIA processing, letter or email correspondences,
filing and daily mail delivery.
• Responsible for maintaining hardcopy and electronic agency files.
• As directed by the Finance/HR Manager, organize and manage a retention system for all DU-COMM files.
This includes arranging the destruction of files when appropriate.
• Communicate effectively, both orally, in writing, and via various forms of electronic media, with all levels of
management and technical/non-technical staff.
• Maintains confidentiality regarding personnel and sensitive matters.
• Complies with the orders, policies, procedures, rules and regulations of DU-COMM.
• Follows written and verbal instructions.
• Performs any other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or designee.
• May direct employees by coordinating work assignments, but has limited supervisory responsibilities.
Page 1 of 2
DU-COMM JOB DESCRIPTION – EXECUTIVE SECRETARY
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
• Must be of strong moral and ethical character.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Must be willing to be “on-call” at all times.
• Typing speed of 35 words per minute.
• Two (2) years of experience in office management, executive secretarial duties.
• Strong analytical and logical problem solving skills.
• Proficient in the English language including the proper usage, spelling, punctuation and grammar.
• Interpersonal skills to include; one-on-one, and public speaking.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
Must be able to successfully pass a thorough background investigation, psychological exam, medical exam and
A strong candidate will also have experience in the following areas:
• Post secondary degree in business, finance or related field.
• Two (2) years of experience as an Executive Secretary with some finance responsibilities.
• Previous experience in a municipal or public safety environment.
• Finance software and advanced spreadsheet skills.
• Public meetings (including the Illinois Open Meetings Act and Roberts Rules of Order).
• Foreign language skills in Spanish or other desired languages.
• The employee regularly works in an indoor or office environment and while performing the duties of this job
is regularly required to sit and use repetitive hand motion.
• The employee is frequently required to talk, hear, stand and walk.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Must have the ability to read and discern visual images on a variety of media with 20/20 corrected vision.
• Must hear speech out of both ears in the normal range of 30 DB at 500 to 2000 Hz range.
• Must be able to speak and communicate clearly over telephones and radios.
• Must be able to work under stressful situations, have good cognitive skills and awareness of work accuracy
as well as be able to concentrate on more than one task at a time.
• Must be in sound physical health as determined by a certified licensed physician with no evidence of the
use of controlled substances.
• Must be articulate and comfortable speaking in front of others
The preceding statements are illustrative of the functions of the job and DU-COMM retains the right to modify or
change the duties or essential functions of the job at any time.
Page 2 of 2