ITE1: Introduction to the Personal Computer
Online Study Questions
Curr Question Answer
1.1 Explain IT industry certifications
1.1.1 1. What are the two certifications that the
IT Essentials course focuses on?
1.1.2 2. Which A+ exam must all candidates
3. In order to be A+ certified, candidates
must pass another test besides the
one above. What are the three
1.1.3 4. What test covers standards
prescribed by the Council of
European Professional Informatics
1.2 Describe a Computer System
1.2 5. What instructs the computer to
1.3 Identify the names, purposes, of cases and power supplies
6. What type of current comes from the
7. What type of current is used by the
computer? (it is a lower voltage)
1.3.1 8. What is the size and layout of a case
9. What are the two types of cases?
10. What determines the type of case you
11. What must you match when
purchasing a power supply?
1.3.2 12. How are keyed connectors designed
to be inserted?
13. Cables, connectors and components TRUE FALSE
are designed to fit together snugly,
therefore, you should force it to fit.
IT-01: Intro to the PC Online Study Questions 1-4
1.4 Identify the names, purposes, and characteristics of internal
1.4.1 14. What allows data to travel
among the various components
15. What is composed of various
integrated circuits attached to the
motherboard that control how system
hardware interacts with the CPU and
16. What determines the type of CPU that
can be installed?
17. What controls access to the RAM, Northbridge Southbridge
video card, and the speeds at which
the CPU can communicate with
18. What allows the CPU to Northbridge Southbridge
communicate with the hard drives,
sound card, USB ports, and other I/O
1.4.2 19. What is considered the brain of the
20. What is the architecture used in
most CPU sockets and processors
21. What refers to the amount of force
needed to install a CPU into the
motherboard socket or slot.?
22. What type of data bus do current
23. What is a technique used to make a
processor work at a faster speed than
its original specification?
1.4.3 24. Why would a technician install a
1.4.4 25. What type of memory contains
instructions directly used by the
IT-01: Intro to the PC Online Study Questions 2-4
26. What type of memory is erased
when the computer is powered off?
27. What type of RAM is 2x as fast as
28. What memory does not check for
errors in memory?
29. What type of memory modules
includes 168-pin, 184-pin and 240-
1.4.5 30. What must the adapter card
31. What connects computer to a
network using radio frequencies?
1.4.6 32. What is the data storage capacity of a
33. What is the data storage capacity of a
34. What interface can connect up to 15
drives and uses a 50-pin, 68-pin, or
35. What drive uses a type of memory
that requires no power to maintain the
1.4.7 36. What does a colored strip on a cable
1.5 37. What type of ports transmit one bit of
data at a time?
38. What has a 24-pin female connector
or a 29-pin female connector and
provides a compressed digital output
to a monitor?
IT-01: Intro to the PC Online Study Questions 3-4
39. What two devices are hot-swappable?
40. How many devices can a single USB
port in a computer support using
multiple USB hubs ?
41. What is the maximum speed of high
speed USB 2.0?
42. How many devices can a single
FireWire port in a computer support?
43. What is the IEEE FireWire standard
1394 also known as?
44. What speed can the iEEE 1394b
45. What is another name for a network
port, that connects a computer to a
1.6 Identify the names, purposes, and characteristics of input devices
46. What are the two most common input
1.7 Identify the names, purposes, and characteristics of output devices
47. What display is commonly used in
laptops and some projectors?
1.8 Explain system resources and their purpose (IRQ, I/O Address, and
48. How a re most IRQ numbers assigned
49. How many I/O ports in a computer?
50. What type of number is used to
reference I/O ports?
IT-01: Intro to the PC Online Study Questions 4-4