SAMPLE CONTRACT FOR AN ARTIST RESIDENCY - #2
Agreement made this day, (date) , by and between (Artist or Organization Name)
(hereafter referred to as Artist) and (hereafter referred to as Sponsor)
THE PARTIES HERETO AGREE:
1. Sponsor engages Artist, and the Artist accepts such engagement to present:
A one week dance residency by _____________________.
To take place:
For a total fee of :
Additional Information: .
Artist’s expected arrival time:
Artist’s expected time of departure
2. Sponsor agrees to abide by all guidelines presented in the attached document, Artist Name or
Organization GUIDELINES FOR A COMPANY RESIDENCY.
3. If a performance is a part of the residency, the Sponsor agrees to furnish at Sponsor’s
expense a suitable, well-lighted playing area for the engagement mentioned above and will
comply in all respects with the following:
a. A performance area 30’ wide by 24’ deep with 10’ ceiling clearance minimum.
(Please call if this is a problem).
b. The performance area will be cleared, cleaned and damp-mopped before the Artist’s
c. The performance area will be a splinter-free, preferably wood, floor.
d. There must be two dressing areas, clean and properly heated, close to the performance
area and separate from the general public.
e. Toilet facilities with hot running water shall be provided near dressing areas, and shall
be clean and in good working order.
f. All the aforementioned areas shall be for the Artist’s exclusive use from 1 ½ hours
prior to the start of the performance, until ½ hour following the conclusion of said performance.
g. Person/s familiar with all existing stage equipment, electrical service, and general
building operation are to be on hand at arrival time until production operation is set up.
4. Sponsor agrees to pay Artist on or before the date of the residency as set forth in this contract
unless special arrangement is made. Artist EIN is.
5. Upon request, Artist will furnish Sponsor with a news release and a black and white publicity
photo for each performance or residency activity selected by Sponsor.
6. Sponsor agrees that no radio or television apparatus or transmitting or recording devices, or
photographic equipment of any kind will be used during the performance in any manner or form
in the building in which the performance shall be given, and no recordings shall be made without
the written consent of the Artist.
7. In the event that payments are not made as herein provided or Sponsor fails to provide any of
the items herein before stated, Artist shall have the right to refuse to perform this contract and
Sponsor shall be liable for the agree fees herein set forth.
8. Artist shall not be responsible for failure to perform if such failure is due to physical
disability of the Artist, or acts or regulations of public authorities, labor difficulties, strikes, riots,
interruptions or delays of transportation services, acts of God or any other cause beyond the
control of the Artist.
9. This agreement cannot be assigned or transferred without written consent of Artist and
Sponsor. It contains the complete understanding of the parties hereto.
10. Sponsor agrees only performers and technical help are allowed backstage during
performances. No maintenance or publicity personnel without the consent of the performers.
11. Sponsor agrees to provide housing for Artist with a private bed and bedding for individual
beds for all performers.
Number of beds needed for male dancers__
Number of beds needed for female dancers__
For the evenings of __
A total of ___nights housing.
12. If Artist has arrived at performance locale and Sponsor cancels performance/residency due
to weather, Sponsor is liable for entire fee. If Sponsor can reschedule at Artist’s convenience,
Sponsor is only liable for mileage and any additional housing that might be needed.
13. All notices to be given to the Artist in connection with this contract shall be in writing
XXXX, Booking Agent
Artist Name or Organization
14. All publicity, programs, posters and verbal announcements must include the following lines:
A: “(Artist or Organization Name) is based in Ames, Iowa and is in residency at Iowa
B: “(Artist or Organization Name) receives funding support from Ames Commission on the
Arts and the Iowa Arts Council.”
And, if applicable, the same must include:
C: “This Artist Residency is sponsored in part by a grant from the Iowa Arts Council.”
IN WITNESS WHEREOF WE HAVE SIGNED THIS AGREEMENT:
For the Sponsors For the Artist
Please sign and return both copies of this contract to:
XXXX, Booking Agent
Your Name or Organization
A copy signed by the representative of Artist will be returned to you.