COUNTY OF ALBEMARLE
Department of Fire Rescue
– Fire Rescue Advisory Board –
401 McIntire Road, Suite 222 z Charlottesville, Virginia 22902-4579
Voice: 434.296.5833 z FAX: 434.972.4123
AGENDA TITLE: AGENDA DATE:
Animal Rescues 28 July 2004
SUBJECT/PROPOSAL/REQUEST: FIRST READING SECOND READING
Countywide standard for processing non-domestic
animal rescue calls.
CONTACTS: CONSENT AGENDA:
1. Dan Eggleston INFORMATION ACTION
2. John Oprandy
REVIEWED BY: J. Nauman
• The protocol for animal rescues approved by the Advisory Board does not address non-domestic
animals. The ECC dispatchers need direction (in the form of a protocol) to process these requests
• Calls for pest control frequently come in to the ECC.
• Animal control officers do not handle these calls.
• Not all stations will respond to handle pest control issues.
• It would be better for customers (citizens), emergency service personnel, and the ECC if these
calls were handled consistently throughout the County. Do to the number of calls the ECC call
takers must handle on a regular basis it is not practical to expect call takers to try to determine,
while still on the phone with a caller, whether or not the station in their area will respond to help.
• There are businesses in the County that handle these types of calls. Arguably, it is a better use of
time and resources to refer 911 callers with pest control issues to those who handle these calls on
a regular basis.
• Stations will not respond to non-domestic animal rescue calls. ECC personnel shall refer any after
hour's callers to an appropriate resource (yellow pages) for assistance in handling pest control
We will provide the highest quality services to protect and preserve the
lives, property, and environment of our community.