A Guide for Students on Franchised Programmes by gabyion


									A Guide for Students on Franchised Programmes

Welcome from the Vice-Chancellor           2

About the University                       3

What is a Franchised Programme?            4

Student Administration                     6

      Registration
      Programme Choice Form
      Induction
      Assessment and Examinations
      Rules and Regulations
      Student Charter
      Complaints
      Appeals

Financial Arrangements                     8

Academic Support and Student Services      10

      Access to Facilities
      Library
      Students with Special Needs
      Computing
      Other Support

The University of Sussex Students’ Union   13

Useful contacts                            15
Welcome from the Vice-Chancellor
It is with great pleasure that I welcome you to the University of Sussex.

Although during your first year you will study at a local partner college, we very much
regard you as a Sussex student.

You are welcome to use all the student services available on the Sussex campus,
including the library, computing facilities and the sport centres.

Your registration at the University also automatically entitles you to membership of
the University of Sussex Students‟ Union.

We are proud of our reputation as a cosmopolitan community: our diverse student
population makes the Sussex campus an exciting and lively place. The atmosphere
is also informal and friendly, making it a great place to make new friends.

This guide introduces you to the University and provides useful information on our
franchised programmes. I am sure that you will find it to be helpful.

With all good wishes for your success.

Professor Michael Farthing



About the University
Setting the Scene

The University of Sussex was the first of the universities founded in the 1960s and
received its Royal Charter on 16 August 1961.

The University boasts one of the most beautiful and picturesque campuses in Britain.
Located in parkland near the village of Falmer, about 4 miles east of Brighton and on
the edge of the Sussex Downs, the campus combines award-winning modern
architecture and lush open spaces.

The campus is like a large, self-contained village, with lecture halls, seminar rooms,
laboratories, bars, restaurants, shops, libraries, accommodation and sports facilities
all within easy walking distance.

In 2006-07, 10,775 students were registered on degree programmes at the
University, while the total number of University employees was approximately 2,120

How the University Works

The main academic units of the University are the following five schools of studies:

      School of Humanities
      School of Life Sciences
      School of Science and Technology
      School of Social Sciences and Cultural Studies
      The Sussex Institute

Each programme of study is assigned to one of these schools and you will be
registered as a student in one of these schools depending on your programme (see
page 5).

Each school is headed by a Dean, assisted by a number of academic officers,
administrators and other support staff, and the whole school community is housed in
a particular group of adjacent buildings on the campus. The schools play a key role
in providing academic and personal support to help you achieve your full potential.

All the schools of the University regard the cultural diversity and age-mix of their
students as one of their most valued assets. The schools work hard to sustain the
diversity of the student experience.

What is a Franchised Programme?
The Background

The University‟s partnership arrangements derive from its regional role, defined in
the mission statement of the University Plan. A close involvement with the local
community has characterised the University since its foundation.

A franchised programme is a programme designed and owned by the University but
delivered by a partner college. The University remains responsible for the design,
content, mode of delivery and assessment of the programme.

How many students are there on franchised programmes?

There are, at present, about 35 students at two colleges.


Your programme is „owned‟ and managed by a University school of studies. That
same School also owns the whole degree programme of which your programme
forms a part. It is the School‟s responsibility to ensure that your programme is
monitored on an annual basis in accordance with the University‟s quality assurance
procedures. Examination question papers for your programme are checked by
school representatives at the University.

Programme Completion

Each programme has different rules for successful completion. You will find these
details in programme literature sent to you by your college.

                     List of Franchised Programmes

     College         UCAS     Franchised Programme               School

Chichester College   C120   BSc   Biological Sciences        Life Sciences
                                  (with a Foundation

Central Sussex       G402   BSc   Computing Sciences         Science &
College                           (with a Foundation Year)   Technology

Student Administration

How do I register?

Registration should be done online and details of how to access the online
registration system will be sent to you in late August/early September. Please
ensure you keep a record of your user name and password as this will give you
access to your IT services account including email. You will also attend the
University from Monday, 24 September 2007 to collect your ID card and sort out any
outstanding registration issues. Your college tutor will inform you of the
arrangements for that day.

Programme Choice Form

In April of your Foundation Year you will be required to complete a „Programme
Choice Form‟ to indicate the programme you intend to progress to. If you wish to
change the programme to which you were admitted to please speak to your college
tutor who will advise you how to apply for a change of programme.

Do I have an induction at the College or at the University?

Both. Your college will have several induction activities at the beginning of the
autumn term – these will be well publicised in your college welcome pack and on
college notice boards. When you come to the University to collect your ID card, you
will be introduced to some key people and shown around the campus.

Please remember that you are always welcome to visit the University and take
advantage of the academic and social facilities on offer.

Assessment and Examinations
What if the examinations clash with my holidays ?

The examinations timetable will be issued early enough for you to fit any domestic
arrangements around them; your college cannot arrange examinations to fit your
personal needs. This also applies to resit examinations, which are usually held in
early September. Please do not make commitments for that time if you think you
may have to take resits.

Does the same apply to religious festivals?

If there are particular days that you must avoid for religious reasons, it is imperative
that you inform your college tutor by January so that your college can try to timetable
your examinations around them. If this proves not to be possible, your college will
make arrangements with your tutor for a special sitting.

Who can help with any special arrangements for examination I have?

It is very important to let your college tutor know (or make an early appointment at
University of Sussex Student Support) as far in advance of the examinations as
possible, whether you have any additional requirements e.g. wheelchair user access
to examination rooms so that arrangements can be made to accommodate them.

Do I have to pay for examinations?

No. The cost of examinations is included in the tuition fee that you pay at the
beginning of the programme.

Rules and Regulations

Am I bound by the regulations of the college or of the University?

Both. Any regulations relating to your link with the University (e.g. appeals,
misconduct) are those of the University. However, if you do anything that affects only
your college (e.g. conduct), you are bound by your college‟s regulations for those

Is there a student charter covering my programme?

The University sets out its obligations to its students, and vice versa, in the
Handbook for Undergraduate Students, which you will be given to you. The
Department for Education and Employment issues a national „Charter for Higher
Education‟. Your college may have its own charter that you can consult.


If you have a complaint about any aspect of your degree programme or life at your
college including:

   – the way in which your programme is taught or assessed,
   – the learning support available,

you should take the matter up with your college tutor. Informal discussions can
usually resolve problems.

If it is not possible to solve a problem informally, you may invoke the University‟s
complaints procedures. The Handbook for Undergraduate Students contains details
on the procedures for different complaints.


There is no right of appeal against the academic judgement of the examiners, but
you have the right to appeal on the grounds of any alleged impropriety in the conduct
of the assessment. You can also appeal if you are found guilty of misconduct in

assessment exercises (full details are available in the Handbook for Undergraduate

Financial Arrangements
How much do I have to pay towards my tuition?

UK students. Tuition fees for 2006/07 are £3070. Fees are payable for each year of
the programme and increase on an annual basis. You can apply for a tuition fee
loan to cover the tuition fee cost.
UK students can apply for a loan or fee support on line. For more information visit

If you do not have access to a PC please contact your Local Education Authority
who will send you a paper copy of the application form to complete and return to

EU students. Tuition fees for 2007/08 are £3070. Fees are payable for each year of
the programme and increase on an annual basis. You can apply for a tuition fee
loan to cover the tuition fee cost.
EU students, can download an application form for a tuition fee loan on-line. For
more information visit www.direct.gov.uk

However if you are applying through UCAS you will automatically be sent an
application form to apply for fee support which you should complete and return to the
DfES. If you do not apply through UCAS, you will be able to obtain an application
form either on-line www.direct.gov.uk, by emailing EUTeam@slc.co.uk or
telephoning (+44) (0) 141 243 3570

Overseas Students assessed as liable to the “overseas” level of fee (generally non-
UK and non-EU students) are required to pay full tuition fees, and you must provide
evidence of your ability to pay the fees and support yourself financially before
registering as a student. The annual fees include registration, tuition and
examination fees.

How do I pay my fees?

On line via Sussex Direct: www.sussex.ac.uk/direct, details of how and when to
access Sussex Direct will be sent to you later in the year. Your Sussex Direct
account will give you all of the payment options available and will allow you to pay in
full by debit or credit card. It will also allow you to set up termly instalments by debit
or credit card or by direct debit on a UK bank account, or set up a monthly instalment
plan by direct debit on a UK bank account. There are 8 instalments on the monthly
payment plan. If the direct debit is to be paid by the bank account of someone other
than the student a direct debit mandate form will need to be completed by the
account holder and sent to Student Accounts. Alternatively, the fees can be paid in
full by bank transfer. Should you need assistance Student Accounts can be

contacted on +44(0)1273 673276. All students are required, as a condition of
registration, to pay all fees due from them to the University.

If I leave the programme during the year, am I entitled to a refund of my
tuition fee?

The University‟s policy is that tuition fees are not normally refundable. Any requests
for refunds must be submitted in writing to the Head of Financial Services at the
University of Sussex, accompanied by supporting paperwork.

See Academic Support & Student Services section (page 11) for information
on student loans.

Academic Support and Student Services
Access to Facilities

What access do I have to the facilities of the University while I am at the

You are welcome to use all student services at the University. However, you should
find that you have everything you need at your college.


Can I use the University Library?

You can make full use of the Library's facilities. The Library has an entry
management system so you will need to bring your Joint Library/Registration card
with you each time you visit the Library. This card is scanned at the entry turnstile.

You will be issued with Joint Library/Registration cards at University registration.

What resources are available in the Library?

The Library holds about 750,000 volumes, and 2,000 prints and over 20,000 online
journals from all over the world. Its collection of online resources, the Electronic
Library (www.sussex.ac.uk/library) includes many full text journals and
newspapers, as well as references to thousands of journal articles and links to useful

How can I make best use of the resources?

InfoSuss is a set of online tutorials you can work through at your own pace. You can
learn how to search the catalogue effectively, interpret your reading list, identify
relevant information, use the Electronic Library, reference your sources correctly and
avoid plagiarism. www.sussex.ac.uk/library/infosuss

What other services are available?

      Group workrooms – eight workrooms are available for group study
      Audiovisual listening and viewing facilities – both for individuals and groups
      PCs and printers
      Photocopying and binding
      The microform collection with readers and microform scanners
      Archives, manuscripts and the Rare Books collections see

Disability Support

A range of Library services is available for users with mobility/sensory impairment or
specific learning needs, including dyslexia.

The Library contact is the Lending Services Manager
(see page 16 for contact details).
Full information about stock and services can be found on the Library‟s website:

Can I use the computing facilities at the University?

Yes. In order to register, simply take your University registration card to the ITS
enquiry desk in the Eng 1 Building at the University.

Other Support
What do I do if I get into personal difficulties and I need support or

The first person to talk to is your college tutor. It is always helpful for a member of
academic staff to know of any difficulties you have that may affect your ability to
study. Any information you divulge will be treated confidentially. If the problem is
more private, you should see your college‟s welfare adviser. You may also contact a
Student Advisor in your school of studies at the University.

Is there support for students with disabilities and learning support needs?

The University has a Student Support Unit where the Disability Co-ordinators and
Learning Support Co-ordinator are based. The unit offers advice and assistance to
prospective and current students with disabilities and learning support needs.

What do I do if I want to leave the programme?

As soon as you think you have a problem you must speak to your college tutor. You
may find that a solution to the problem can be found without you having to leave the
programme. If you do have to withdraw temporarily from, or leave the programme,
you must notify your programme co-ordinator and write to the Director of Student
Support of your University school (see page 16 for contact details).

Where do I go to get my student loan?

Student loans are available to full-time UK students who are following Higher
Education (HE) programmes. To apply for your loan you must first have submitted an
award assessment form, available from your LEA. Once your LEA has assessed
your application, a Student Support Notification (SSN) will be sent to you. On the
reverse of the SSN is the student loan application form for you to complete and
return to the Student Loans Company. If you have applied, your loan cheque will be
paid directly into the bank account you have nominated, on your student loan
application form.

If I get into financial difficulties, or have particular financial needs, where can I
get help?

If you are a UK student, you may apply to the University for monies from the Access
to Learning Fund allocated to Sussex by the Government. Application forms are
available from the Student Advisor of your school or the Student Advice Centre in
Falmer House on the University campus (see page 16 for contact details). Please
note that the Access to Learning Fund has limited resources and there is no
guarantee that an application will be successful.

Who do I speak to regarding housing?

If you need housing whilst at college, you should contact the welfare officer there.

The University will send you a Housing Application Form in April in preparation for
your entry here in October. A place in University-managed housing is not
guaranteed but those entering year 1 are given priority, subject to the Housing Office
receiving your housing application by 1 August. Make sure you get your form in on

If you have any queries regarding housing, please contact Catherine Bancroft-
Rimmer, Housing Services Manager. See page 16 for contact details.

Where can I get advice about careers?

Your tutors will be able to give you initial advice relating to your particular
programme. If you require more detailed advice, the Career Development and
Employment Centre at the University can provide you with information about job
opportunities and career planning.
Visit www.sussex.ac.uk/cdec for details

The University of Sussex Students’ Union
What can the University of Sussex Students’ Union offer me?

Your registration at the University automatically entitles you to membership of the
University of Sussex Students‟ Union (USSU) and the National Union of Students
(NUS). The Students‟ Union is the focus of many student activities at Sussex. The
Union stages a varied programme of entertainment for students, with events taking
place both on and off campus. The Activities Centre supports and helps fund a wide
range of student societies. These range from sports and social clubs through to
performing arts and special interest organisations. The Centre also helps many
Union members become active in local voluntary work, particularly through its
Project V Volunteer Bureau. The Union also produces a weekly newspaper, a glossy
magazine and a radio station as well as running several websites.

The Students‟ Union Advice Centre provides confidential, independent and impartial
advice on a whole range of academic and non-academic issues including money,
benefits, housing, academic appeals and employment.

Does the Union have any representational role?

The Union has an important role to play both within the University and in providing a
voice for your opinions locally and nationally. The Union is a democratic body; this
allows every student the chance to have a say in important decisions that are made
within the Union.

See page 16 for contact details. Further information is available on the Students’
Union website: www.ussu.info

Student Advice Centre
What we offer:

   Free, independent and confidential information, advice and support on a
    comprehensive range of academic and non-academic issues including:

       Finance and funding
       Disability issues
       Employment rights
       Appeals and disciplinary hearings
       Immigration
       Temporary withdrawal, transferring course and repeating elements of your
       Housing
       Welfare benefits
       Childcare
       Consumer problems
       Legal matters

   An Information Area with:

          Information fact sheets and leaflets to take away and read;
          A free phone for LA and Student Loans Company enquiries;
          A PC for you to use with useful websites bookmarked and the Funderfinder
           database of educational trusts and charities (to which you may be eligible to
           apply for additional funding).

   Online advice is available on money, housing, immigration and many other
    issues at www.ussu.info/advice. We regularly review the information on the
    site, most Student Advice Centre publications are available to download and
    there are extensive links to useful external sites.

In addition Unisex, a confidential sexual health and drugs/alcohol information and
support service is located in the Advice Centre. Unisex offers low-cost pregnancy
testing, Chlamydia screening, condoms and lubricants and there are also

opportunities for voluntary work within the service. For drop in times and further
information please visit www.unisex.org.uk

The Student Advice Centre has a team of professional advisers as well as two
elected Union Officers specialising in Education and Welfare. The service is
completely confidential (all SAC policies, including our confidentiality policy, are
available on our website), non-judgemental and independent from the University.

No issue is too big or small for us to deal with. Remember, if you feel like there
could be a problem brewing, don’t ignore it – seek advice!

Contact Details:
Tel: 01273 877038
Fax: 01273 873501
Email: advice@ussu.sussex.ac.uk
Web: www.ussu.info/advice

Useful Contacts

If you have any problems, your first point of contact should always be your college.
However, the people listed in this section will be happy to deal with any queries you
may have. Unless your query requires immediate action, it is always better to e-mail
or send a letter than to phone – many of the contacts are very busy and contacting
them by phone may be difficult.

The University‟s full postal address is:

The University of Sussex

The main switchboard telephone number is +44 (0)1273 606755

College Contacts

Chichester College        Dr Sue Danks      01243 786321       Sue.Danks@chichester.ac.uk
                                            ext 2326/2039

Central Sussex College    Alison Moore      01293 442225       a.moore@centralsussex.ac.uk

School Administrator (Curriculum) – University of Sussex

LIFESCI              Annabel Blake          01273 678134       A.C.Blake@sussex.ac.uk

SCITECH              Magdalena Portmann     01273 678894       mariap@sussex.ac.uk
                     Samantha Bromfield                        s.bromfield@sussex.ac.uk

Directors of Student Support – University of Sussex

SCITECH           Dr Justine Johnstone          01273 872872    J.Johnstone@sussex.ac.uk

LIFESCI           Dr Karen Long                 01273 877073    K.M.Long@sussex.ac.uk


LIFESCI – Life Sciences
SCITECH – Science and Technology

              Useful Telephone Numbers and E-Mail Addresses
For queries about progression to the                  Pip Carter
University                             01273 678851   P.Carter@sussex.ac.uk
                                                      UG Progress
For help with accommodation                           Catherine Bancorft-Rimmer
                                       01273 878223   c.a.l.bancorft-rimmer@sussex.ac.uk

For queries about student loans and                   Emily Fell
tuition fees                           01273 678204   E.R.Fell@sussex.ac.uk
                                                      Student Accounts

Counselling Services                   01273 678156   counselling@sussex.ac.uk

                                                      Shirley Sheppard
For information on the Access to       01273 873759   s.a.sheppard@sussex.ac.uk
Learning Fund

Student Support Unit                   01273 877465   studentsupport@admin.sussex.ac.uk

For Library enquiries/help desk        01273 678440   library.enquiries@sussex.ac.uk

                                                      Grainne Macdermott
For Library users with additional      01273 873512   g.e.macdermott@sussex.ac.uk

For IT Services Enquiries Desk         01273 678090   enquiries@its.sussex.ac.uk

Partnership Office
-For comments about this handbook      01273 872775   Sara Parker – Head of Partnership office

Students‟ Union

   President                           01273 873350       Daniel Vockins

   Finance & Commercial                01273 873353       Polly Jackson
    Services Officer                                       finance@ussu.sussex.ac.uk

   Communications Officer              01273 873347       Koos Couvée

   Sports & Activities Officer         01273 878155       Michael Alexander

   Education Officer                   01273 873324       Saul Reid

   Welfare Officer                     01273 873354       Timmy Konar

   Student Advice Centre               01273 877038       advice@ussu.sussex.ac.uk

                          And finally…We hope you enjoy your studies.
                We look forward to seeing you at the University next academic year


To top