General Quiz : 2.5.2001
Qns by : G.Sreekanth
1. What in tennis is " Compression Technology " ?
ans) The technology involved in the special shirt worn by Martina Hingis
with one sleeve longer than the other . The longer tight sleeve is
designed to compress it to slow down muscle fatigue .
2. What unit of measurement literally means " To embrace " and is defined
by an act of the British Parliament as " the length of a swain's
arms around the object of his affections " ?
3. Namita was dressed in a resplendent Orissa silk saree . Her husband
Ranjan too was accompanying her. Namita's foster father was
insured for a sum of Rs. 177/- The gifts they were carrying for their
hosts included laser discs of Pakeezah , Mughal-e-Azam . What is
being described here ?
ans) The Lahore bus journey. Namita is Shri Atal Behari Vajpayee's foster
4. What was Winston Churchill referring to when he said " It was an
ineffectual attempt to direct an uncontrollable sphere into an
inaccessible hole with instruments ill-adapted for the purpose " ?
ans) The game of golf.
5. Nirmala along with Kamdev and then Sindhu along with Kalidasa lands at
Ujjain and rents a bicycle to go to the India coffee house to meet
poets Mir , Daag and Muktibodh and also Tansen. What is being
described here ?
ans) The movie Gajagamini.
6. " This day relenting God; Hath placed within my hand; A wondrous thing
and God be praised
At his command seeking his secret deeds with tears and toiling
breath ; I find thy cunning seeds O million murdering death; I know
this little thing , A myriad men will save ; O death where is thy
sting , Thy victory O grave " . Identify the poet.
ans) Sir Ronald Ross . He wrote this poem after discovering the malarial
7. Leap of the Hare , Tree Climber , Spinning Top , Chasing the Sparrow
are all described in detail in which book ?
8. He was born on April 19th 1987 . Almost 14 years have passed , but he
is still 10 years of age .He is an expert ballet dancer . He once
sold his soul for $ 5. When he drives in what is touted as Hitler's
car he screams " It's Fuhrer - ific " ! . Who ?
ans) Bart Simpson .
9. Which Indian film-maker has a production company named " Stability is
a Curse " ?
ans) Nagesh Kukunoor.
10. Doryphores , Gobbledygooks , Filibusters , Patagonians , Zapotecs ,
Pockmarks , Earthworms ,
Coconuts , Sea-gherkins , Goose caps , Fuzzy wuzzy , Toffee noses ,
................. the list goes on. What are these ?
ans) All are curses by Captain Haddock in Tintin comics .