Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

Ombudsman Victoria What can we do for you


Ombudsman Victoria What can we do for you

More Info
									     Independent        Impartial      Free Service         Independent       Impartial      Free Service            Independent   Impartial   Free Service

What the Ombudsman Cannot Do
The Ombudsman does not give legal advice.

Generally, the Ombudsman does not investigate
complaints that are more than 12 months old.

The Ombudsman has no power to investigate
complaints about:

  private organisations, such as banks and shops;
  private individuals;
  Commonwealth government departments
  and agencies (such as CentreLink);
  decisions by government ministers; and
  courts and tribunals.

                                                                                                                  Ombudsman Victoria
                                                                                                                  What can we do for you?
                                                      Ombudsman Victoria                                          Transport Accident and WorkCover Complaints
                                                      Level 3 South Tower 459 Collins Street Melbourne VIC 3000

                                                      Telephone (03) 9613 6222 or 1800 806 314 (toll free)
                                                      Facsimile (03) 9614 0246
                       Independent                                                     Impartial                                                 Free Service

Who is the Ombudsman?                                        Who Can Complain?                                           How to Make a Complaint
The Ombudsman is an independent statutory officer            Any member of the public who thinks they may                If you would like to make a complaint, you can write to us
who investigates complaints made by citizens about           have been treated unfairly may make a complaint.            with all relevant facts and copies of relevant documentation.
the administrative actions of:                                                                                           Alternatively, you can telephone or come to our office and
                                                                                                                         speak with a Complaints Officer. You may be asked to
  Victorian government departments;                          What Does it Cost?                                          put your complaint in writing.
  Victorian statutory authorities; and
                                                             All services provided by the Ombudsman are free.
  local councils                                                                                                         If you are having trouble writing your complaint down, our
                                                                                                                         staff may be able to assist you. The Ombudsman also offers
                                                                                                                         a free translation and interpreting service.
TAC/WorkCover                                                Things to Consider Before
The Ombudsman now has an enhanced jurisdiction over:
                                                             Making a Complaint                                          You can also submit your complaint online, by visiting our
                                                                                                                         website at
                                                             Before complaining to the Ombudsman, you should
  The Transport Accident Commission (TAC)                    first try to resolve your problem direct with the
  The Victorian WorkCover Authority (VWA)                    organisation concerned.
  Authorised WorkCover Agents
                                                                                                                         What Happens Next?
  Certain VWA delegates                                      Need more information?                                      Your complaint will be received by the Transport Accident
  Self Insured organisations                                                                                             and WorkCover Unit.
                                                             Consult our website,,
The Ombudsman can also examine the processes and             or call to speak to a Complaints Officer, (03) 9613 6222.   Upon receiving your complaint, the Ombudsman will take
procedures used by agencies and bodies in handling                                                                       steps to have the matter resolved. This may involve us
complaints. The Ombudsman cannot renew the merit of a                                                                    telephoning or writing to the organisation, or in some
specific claims decision but can review the administrative                                                               cases, interviewing people.
actions taken to make that decision.
                                                                                                                         You will be kept informed about the progress and outcome
Our aim is to investigate complaints and to achieve                                                                      of the Ombudsman's enquiries.
improvement in internal complaints management
throughout the industry.

To top