Romeo and Juliet Alternative Endings
Act: Act V Subject(s): Project Grade Duration: 3+
English Language Arts
Summary: After reading the play and viewing movie of Romeo and Juliet with the Claire Danes and
/Leonardo DiCaprio the students will form small discussion groups (two to three people in a group).
The groups will (use compare/contrast) discuss the difference between the play and the movie; then they
will choose either the play or movie and write an alternative ending. Once the students have completed
their ending they will create a digital story (using power point, photo story, or movie maker) of their
TEKS: 6A, 6G, 7D, 7E, 7f, 8C, 9B, 10C, 11E
1. Students will complete the reading of Shakespeare's play, Romeo and Juliet .
2. Students will be able to summarize the ending of the play, Romeo and Juliet.
3. Students will compare and contrast the original Romeo and Juliet play to that of the modern
4. movie version.
5. Students will work in groups, brainstorm/develop an alternative endings to Romeo and Juliet
either the play or movie.
6. Students will develop their technology skills by producing a digital story using the alternative
ending they developed in their group.
• Romeo and Juliet play
• Romeo and Juliet with Claire Danes and Leonardo DiCaprio movie
• Television/projector and DVD/VCR
• Paper and pencils/pens
• Computer access
• Power Point, Photo Story, and/or Movie Maker application(s)
1. Class will read the play (or at least Act V) and view the same part of the movie
2. The students will form (or teacher will assign) small discussion groups of two to three people in
3. The groups will use a Venn Diagram to (compare/contrast) discuss the difference between the
play and the movie; then they will choose either the play or movie and write an alternative
4. The students will create a digital story (using power point, photo story, or movie maker) of their
5. Students will present their digital stories.
• Sample Excel Rubric