VIEWS: 4 PAGES: 2 POSTED ON: 3/12/2010 Public Domain
PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE Help Jack save Lives
PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE 6th June 2008 Help Jack save Lives Jack Ormrod is like most other twelve-year-olds, he loves to spend time meeting up with friends and playing computer games But in real life Jack has a lot more to deal with than the average 12-year-old. He is suffering from Chronic Myeloid Leukaemia. There are approximately 500 new cases each year in the UK. It is characterised by the presence of large numbers of abnormal, mature granulocytes, circulating in the blood. At the moment Jack condition is being managed well with medication but there may be a time in the future that he will require a bone marrow transplant. Jack is very lucky as his brother has been found to be a perfect bone marrow match for him. Around 30 % of patients requiring a transplant will find one from a member of their family but the other 70% of patients have to ask the Anthony Nolan trust to find them a donor. Jack is aware of how lucky he is having a match within his family, so now he wants to help all the patients that are not so lucky. The sad reality is that for many patients searching for a Bone Marrow Donor, there is just no match available. The simple truth is that the more people who join the bone marrow regsiter, the better the chance of matching a donor for the 16,000 other patients who currently need a transplant. It’s a simple matter of numbers: more people on the register = more lives saved. Today Jack’s family and friends are calling on all local people to help them find matches for the 16,000 people currently searching for a bone marrow match. They are working with the Anthony Nolan Trust to set up a Bone Marrow Clinic to scour the region for people who can help. Tuesday 17th June Rooms F27 and F28. Education and Training Centre, Werneth House, Tameside General Hospital, Fountain St, Ashton Under Lyne. Lancashire. OL6 9RW. 10.30am – 1.30pm People are urged to attend the clinic during these hours and join the register. The Anthony Nolan Trust helps patients like Jack by holding a register of volunteers who are willing to donate their bone marrow to a complete stranger, should they share the exact same tissue type. In most cases this transplant offers the patient their only chance of survival. In order to recruit volunteers onto the register, we hold donor recruitment clinics where local people can attend to give a very small blood sample. This sample may be all that is ever required of you – but you never know, you may turn out to be a match and go on to save a life. Donating your bone marrow requires a minor medical procedure and your body replaces the bone marrow that has been taken within 21 days Rebecca Sedgwick, Donor Recruitment Manager for the North West for the Anthony Nolan Trust, said: “The clinic that we are holding in Tameside has been inspired by Jack. He wants people to step up and take on the challenge to save the lives of the 16,000 people who need bone marrow transplants across the UK. “We need people to go on our register as donors. We hope to find a suitable match for all the patients waiting for a transplant” To be able to register as a bone marrow donor, you must be aged between 18-40 years, be in good general health, weigh over 8 stone and be willing to help save the life of ANY patient you may match. For more information about becoming a bone marrow donor, please visit the Anthony Nolan website at www.anthonynolan.org.uk NOTES TO EDITORS: The criteria for joining the register is very important, please publish • New donors must be aged between 18- 40yrs old, and in good health, weigh over 8 stone, not be severely overweight and be willing to donate stem cells to ANY patient they may ever match. • Key target groups: male donors, young donors and donors from all ethnic minority backgrounds. More donors are sought due to shortages from these vital groups.
Pages to are hidden for
"PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE PRESS RELEASE Help Jack save Lives"Please download to view full document