Carr-Bridge School Parent Council
Minutes for Meeting held on
Monday 9th November 2009 from 6.30pm
In Attendance: David Whyte Alison Hepburn Jennifer Smith
Gillian Gordon Carol Ritchie Rory Baikie
Ann Mackintosh Lara Campbell Jillian Kean
Mary Grant Becky Badger
Apologies recorded for Catriona Reid, Stuart Black, Clare Lake, Pam Page, Carol Bradley, Janey Hastings
& Jeremy Roberts.
2. Minutes of Previous Meeting & Matters Arising
Porridge Tea Tent – Net income was £202.10. Although maybe not as much as we would have hoped for,
taking into account the fact that we were not the only providers of tea/coffee and homebaking not a bad
result. We had agreed a provisional £20 donation at our last meeting depending on how much we made, in
the event it was decided £10 (5% of our takings) would be a fair amount.
Halloween – Went very well. The children (& adults) thoroughly enjoyed it. Outlay was approx £30.
The minutes of the previous meeting were proposed correct by Carol Richie and seconded by Gillian
3. Outstanding Items –Update/Action
House Names – The Pupil Council have been given the task of co-ordinating this process. Jillian confirmed
they have until the next ‘Head Teacher’s’ assembly to report back with the results.
Wood Carving – Jillian reported that the janitor is happy to dig a hole and erect the carving next time he is
at the school (16 Nov). Jen agreed to do a phone around on the day for any available men to help him. If
the ground is too hard Carol will see Robbie re help with digging the hole.
Painting of Playground etc – Agreed to leave until the spring.
Goalposts – Tom Burns has offered to put up wooden goalposts. Jen to co-ordinate. JS
Basketball/Goalpost nets & Rounders Set – It was agreed the Parent Council would buy these items.
Alison to co-ordinate and speak to Dawn Horsburgh re possible match funding. AH
4. The Role of the Parent Council
It was agreed to ask Moira McCarrel back to the school to refresh everyone on the role of the Parent
Council. It was decided to make this an extraordinary meeting offering cheese & wine with an invitation to
all parents/carers. Jen to contact Moira for a Jan – April date. JS
5. Cycle Shelter Update
Becky reported that they have not heard back from Karen Derrick yet. The Nethybridge shelter which is the
design that is being looked at for Carr-Bridge cost approx £5,000 for the shed (concrete was donated).
Victor Sandilands has offered to do it for us for £2,868 (unsure as yet if that includes VAT) It is believed
that Highland Council paid for Deshar’s shelter. Jillian agreed to look into Highland Council funding for our
6. Climbing Wall
Approx cost £3,800. Alison reported to the group that after emailing Caroline at ‘The wall’ to let her know
that due to other funding commitments we were postponing plans for a climbing wall for the time being, she
had received a response explaining that materials had already been purchased (despite not having
received any confirmation or deposit) and would be kept on hold for us. They also made a proposal to go
ahead with the job either with or without a deposit on a credit basis. Although the offer was much
appreciated there was strong feeling that the parent council was not happy about going down the route of
being in debt without any guarantees of future income/funding. Alison to respond. There is currently £1,100
ring fenced for the wall. It was suggested there might be possible funding for this project. Alison to contact
Dawn Horsburgh. AH
7. Update on Appointment of Permanent Head Teacher
Mary referred to an earlier email she had sent re the disappointing response for Head Teacher’s post.
Since then the position has been re-advertised with the new closing date being 20 Nov. It was agreed to
keep the three Parent Council members already chosen on for this new process. It is still hoped to have
the new head appointed by Christmas.
8. Christmas Fayre
Mary reported that the following stalls were coming so far:
Knock on Wood
Virgin Vie At Home
Relishes & Chutneys
Mothers & Toddlers
Home Baking – Parent Council
Landmark – tbc
Water to Wine – Helen to be asked
Something Different - Jillian to ask
Harrowers Pet shop – Mary to ask – No fee if they donate a tree
Yo – Norma to be asked to see them
The Gooseberry – Ann to ask if Yo can’t come
David offered the use of church tables. Those available to get together at 9am on the 23 Nov to finalise
9. School Concert
Tuesday15 December at 6.30pm. Jillian explained that it had been decided not to go ahead with a panto
this year with the uncertainty surrounding the position of Head Teacher but instead a concert would be
held as a festive alternative. Parent Council to serve mince pies and mulled wine. A short piece from
parents to surprise the children would be fun. Anyone with ideas to see Jillian.
10. Christmas Party
Friday 18 December, 10am – 12pm. It was agreed to try one party for all pupils for a change. A grotto for
Santa to be set up in a cupboard or corner. Pupils to be taken through by class. Sub group meeting to
follow - Mary & Lara. Carol agreed to help as new organisers will be needed over the next couple of years.
LC, MG & CR
11. Treasurers Report
See attached. Gillian explained that she is not setting a new budget until a permanent Head is appointed.
The BSSSA cheque has been cancelled. School trips to go on the agenda for the January meeting.
12. Head Teacher Update
Jillian reported that Dawn Horsburgh would like to do a ‘Play Leader’ (?) course with the P6/7’s. Cost is £5
per child so total would be approx £100 (pupils will not be forced to take part so could be less). It was
agreed the Parent Council would pay for half with the rest coming out of the school funds.
Jillian explained that she had compiled the feedback from the Parental Questionnaire for the QA Report
into percentages. There were a few areas she would like to address where the percentages were not as
high as she would have liked. Jillian wondered if the Parent Council could help her to find out from parents
how they felt these areas could realistically be improved. It was decided to put out a Parent Council
Newsletter with a tear off slip for ideas to be put in a suggestion box. – Lara LC
Carol mentioned Kingussie had had a visit to the recycling plant and suggested this as a possible trip for
T-Towels – ‘All My Own Work’ cost to us £2.11 per towel minimum order 100. Agreed to order 150 to sell
at the Christmas Fayre initially. Decided to date the towels 2009/10 and sell for £5 each.
Notelets – In hand.
Shelter - Alison mentioned kids have been cycling in the outdoor shelter out of school hours. Jillian
confirmed she is very happy for the village children to make use of the school grounds when not in use
although obviously it was not acceptable for them to cycle in the shelter. Agreed to monitor the situation –
anyone passing by to occasionally pop in. All
CNPA – Gillian reported that we would be able to access park funding if projects concerned promoted the
park (through use of the brand) and were sustainable helping the community. Small grant scheme is 90%
funding up to max project cost of £5,000.
Gillian also had info regarding a biodiversity grant – to be passed on to Clare.
French – Carol pointed out the difficulty for parents who know little or no French in helping their children
with homework. She suggested having the correct pronunciation on MP3 on the school website. This was
thought to be a very good idea. Ann confirmed she was happy to do this. Clare to be asked if she can help.
AM & CL
Virgin Vie Fundraiser – Wednesday 25 November from 7.30pm at Jen’s house. Agreed money not being
raised for any particular project, just to go in the pot.
14. Date of Next Meeting
Monday 18 January at 6.30pm in the staff room.