WARNING SIGNS WHICH
INDICATE THE PERSON AND/OR
COMPANY IS NOT CERTIFIED…
• Newspaper/flyer ads, which do not
include the individuals or
company’s contractor certification
number, C xxx or U xxx prefix.
• Business Tax Receipt
(Occupational License) is a tax
paid to the county allowing an YOU…CAN HELP YOURSELF!!
entity to work within county
perimeters, this is not a license. Simply by making three (3) telephone
Each year the staff of the • A large down payment requested calls, you can greatly reduce your risk
Construction Industry Licensing before work begins. of loss to an uncertified contractor.
Board of Palm Beach County • Statements such as “It will be
cheaper if you obtain your own 1st …call to obtain a second bid for the
assists the public in recovering permit.” work to be done.
several hundred thousands of • Oral contract only.
dollars in would-be losses. • The contractor prefers to work on 2nd…call to obtain a third bid for the
weekends or after hours. work to be done.
YOU…can be your best defense • Someone other than the
against losses by not dealing person/company you contracted 3rd…call Palm Beach County
with obtains a building permit. Contractors Certification Division at
with uncertified contractors….
• Unable to provide a copy of their 233-5530 to confirm that your bids are
certificate of insurance from certified contractors or go to our
Using a qualified, licensed web site at
contractors is not just a good IT’S YOUR MONEY, PROTECT IT www.pbcgov.com/pzb/contractors .
idea…IT’S THE LAW.
The Construction Industry Licensing Board of Palm
Beach County and Contractors Certification Division
were established to protect the citizens of Palm Help us help you…verify the A GUIDE TO
Beach County, through a certification system of 48 certification of competency of a
construction trades. contractor before you enter into a
Some of the trades affecting homeowners include:
WARNING CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTORS
• Acoustical/Suspended Acoustical Ceiling Hiring an unlicensed contractor, while
• Air Conditioning CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY LICENSING
• Aluminum Specialties
possibly saving a little money, could result
• Building Contractor in one or more of the following: BOARD OF PALM BEACH COUNTY
• Burglar Alarm
• Paying for the work twice.
• Communication & Sound Systems • Insurance coverage problems.
• Concrete Forming and Placing • Poor workmanship and or
• Decorative Metal construction that do not meet
• Fabric Awnings building code standards, resulting
• Fence in the work being torn out and re-
• Garage Door done.
Glass & Glazing
• Possible code enforcement actions
• Hurricane Shutter/Awning with daily fines to the property
• Insulation owner.
• Irrigation Sprinkler • Loss of eligibility to the State of
• Lightening Protection System
• Masonry Construction Recovery Fund.
• Painting • Delays with title insurance when
• Paver Brick
selling the property.
• Paving Contractors Certification Division
• Residential Contractor So before hiring an unlicensed Dept. of Planning, Zoning & Building
• Roofing contractor, ask yourself this question: (561) 233-5525
• Septic Tank Fax (561) 233-5554
• Swimming Pool Maintenance & Repair Is it worth the risk? or go to our web site at
• Swimming Pool Construction www.pbcgov.com/pzb/contractors
• Tennis Courts CONTRACTORS CERTIFICATION DIVISION
• Tile & Marble 2300 N. Jog Road, Ste. 2W-61
PALM BEACH COUNTY
• TV Antenna & Satellite Dish West Palm Beach, FL. 33411-2741
• Window & Door BOARD OF COUNTY COMMISSIONERS
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday
Rev. 06/06 (Except holidays)
(561) 233-5525 - Fax (561) 233-5554