Key Chronological Dates in the History of Lock Haven University

Document Sample
Key Chronological Dates in the History of Lock Haven University Powered By Docstoc
					Key Chronological Dates in the History of Lock Haven University

        1870   Lock Haven University was founded by Albert N. Raub as the
               Central State Normal School.

        1873   Cornerstone of the Central State Normal School laid.

        1877   First building completed, first students and classes. Two year
               elementary and four-year science course offered.

        1878   First graduating class includes 3 women and 18 men.

        1888   Price Hall burns, cornerstone for new building (Sullivan Hall)
               laid.

        1895   Three year regular normal course and five year advanced
               normal course added.

        1911   Four year normal course instituted.

        1914   State of Pennsylvania purchases institution.

        1920   Two year curricula adopted in Kindergarten-Primary,
               Intermediate Grades, Junior High School, and Rural School.

        1927   Name changed to State Teachers College at Lock Haven.
               Authority granted to confer baccalaureate degrees in
               elementary/secondary education & health/physical education.

        1935   Four year Health and Physical Education program added.

        1949   Institution accredited by Middle States Association of
               Colleges and Universities.

        1960   Name changed to Lock Haven State College.

        1962   School of Arts and Science started. Liberal arts B.A. degree
               offered in Humanities, Social Science, and Natural Sciences.

        1965   First degrees in Arts and Science awarded.

        1967   Social Work degree program initiated.

        1969   Fine Arts degree program initiated.

        1973   Biology/Chemistry degree programs initiated.

        1976   General Studies, cooperative engineering programs initiated.
1977   Journalism, Math-Computer Science, and International Studies
       programs initiated.

1982   Craig Dean Willis inaugurated as President; Economics degree
       program offered.

1983   Name changed to Lock Haven University as a result of the
       creation of the State System of Higher Education; Music
       program offered.

1986   Health Sciences and Recreation programs offered.

1987   Masters of Liberal Arts degree program implemented; first
       student enrollments at Williamsport Center.

1988   Management of Technology program offered.

1989   Library Science program offered; Clearfield Campus
       established; Middle States reaccreditation affirmed.

1990   Associate degree program in Nursing offered.

1991   First strategic plan completed.

1992   CARS student information system and voice response
       registration implemented. Library card catalog automated.
       Small Business Development Center opened. Continuous
       improvement begun.

1994   $2.5 million Capital Campaign announced, goal achieved in
       1996.

1995   Middle States reaccreditation affirmed.

1996   Accounting and Geology majors approved; Master of
       Education, Master of Health Science/Physician Assistant in
       Rural Primary Care approved.

1997   Approved associate degree in Applied Science and
       Management; second strategic plan completed 1996-2001;
       accredited by the Commission on the Accreditation of Allied
       Health Education Programs.

1998   The pedestrian mall was named Ivy Lane The Recreation
       Center referendum passed. The facility is projected to open in
       the year 2001. The System adopted the Academic Passport to
       allow students to transfer credits from one System University
       to another.
         2000   Associate degree in radiologic technology was approved.

         2001   Associate degrees in criminal justice, allied health, and
                management information systems were approved; a bachelors
                degree in criminal justice is approved. The Student
                Recreation Center opened as well as the new building that
                houses the Clearfield Branch campus.

         2002   Associate degree in electronic engineering technology was
                approved; bachelor degrees in paralegal studies and sport
                administration studies were approved, as well as a bachelor of
                fine arts in fine/studio art. A masters degree in alternative
                education was also approved.

         2005   Dr. Keith T. Miller inaugurated as President; Nanotechnology
                degree program offered.

In addition to the events listed above, during President Craig Dean Willis’ tenure, the
following were initiated: an Industrialist-in-Residence program featuring a three-day
series of classroom meetings, public lecture and symposia; an Honors Program; a joint
Lock Haven University-Mansfield University Graduate Consortium in Special Education;
a Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree offered in conjunction with Clarion University;
and a Teaching-Learning Center was established. International Exchange Programs were
developed with twenty one nations through university cooperation and an English as a
second Language Program began. The schools of Education and Health and Physical
Education were combined into a single College of Education and Human Services. Since
1989, the College of Arts and Science has designed 13 new minors, two tracks, and two
concentrations. The College of Education and Human Services has added seven minors,
one track and five options.

Assistance to students was broadened through Management internships with local
industry and a Presidential Scholarship program was developed. Work study and campus
employment opportunities were expanded. The Lock Haven University Foundation
increased its assets to over $5 million.

Capital improvement projects under Dr. Willis’ tenure include renovations of Akeley
Hall, Price Auditorium, Bentley Hall, and Rogers Gymnasium, expansion of the Parsons
Union Building, Jack Stadium, and North Ulmer Hall, steam line renovation, current
construction of Clearfield Campus, and the purchase and renovation of the Courthouse
Annex. An international house was established, and additional houses purchased and
renovated to house ROTC, Recreation, and the Honors Program. Community relations
have been fostered through participation in the Ben Franklin Partnership Agreement;
continuing education programs; Life Long Learning Program; and liaison between
Keystone Central School District, the Small Business Development Center, and the
University. Since 1994, enrollments have increased over 33 percent, compared to 10.1
percent for the State System of Higher Education (Figure 2).
Dr. C. Willis has returned from a sabbatical during which he studied comparative
international education throughout the System.

Personal computers, which were non-existent before the mid-1980’s, now exceed 700.
The campus is networked through a fiber optics network (LHUPnet) that connects most
buildings on campus. LHUPnet connects to the SSHEnet system connecting all sister
universities and the Dixon Center. Internet service is provided by Voicenet at the West
Chester location. There are five main computer labs on campus managed by the
Computing Center. In addition, all seven residence halls have computer labs.
Departmental computer labs include Art/Music in Sloan, the Science Lab in Ulmer, the
Psychology Lab in Robinson and the new Linux Lab for Computer Science in Akeley.
This brings the total number of student accessibility to computers to almost 300. The
University has a custom distance education classroom in Raub that holds 30 students and
a Vtel unit at the Clearfield campus designed to accommodate 16. Classes are being
delivered between the two locations daily. Another Vtel System is located in Stevenson
in the Teaching Learning Center and is used for Faculty Professional Development. A
fourth, small Vtel System is located in the Computing Center Conference Room.

U.S. News and World Report recently recognized Lock Haven University of
Pennsylvania as one of the top Public Liberal Arts Colleges in the North.

More recently the Associate degree in Early Childhood Education and Radiological
Technology were approved. The new general education curriculum was approved and
implemented. The curriculum includes overlay requirements for writing emphasis,
information literacy, multicultural instruction and external experience. The Recreation
Center is in the design phase and projected to open in January, 2002. The Campus
Village has been purchased. Jazzman’s Café and Jazzman’s Express were added to the
first floors of Bentley and Raub. A minor in Alternative Education was approved in the
College of Education and Health Science. Groundbreaking has taken place for the new
Clearfield Campus. The University held a 125 year International Program celebration,
entered into a collaborative agreement with the West Branch technology Center, and the
Tomlinson Locker room was dedicated. A separate department for the Physician
Assistant Studies program was added. Collaboration was undertaken with four other
System universities to deliver programs throughout the northern tier of Pennsylvania. The
Carnegie Classification was changed from a Baccalaureate (liberal arts) College II to a
Master’s (comprehensive) University and College II. The Strategic Planning process was
changed and preparations made with a self study for the visit from Middle States.