Prevention and Protection
Harrison County District Attorney
Crime Victim Services
Harrison County Courthouse
200 West Houston Suite 206, 2" d Floor
Marshall, Texas 75670
- Texas law also allows you to request that a
"Security Freeze" be placed on your consumer Attorney Genera of Texas:
- Ask for information protection policy
file, which requires the credit reporting agency 214-969-5310
statements from each business that has your
personal information, including your doctors. to notify you of material changes to your
consumer file and prevent access to your Internet Fraud Complaint Center
consumer file by some entities. You may WWW. IFCCFBI.GOV
- You may want to contact the Public Utility
Commission of Texas and place yourself on the request a freeze by sending a letter via certified
mail to the credit reporting agency including Major Credit Reporting Agencies
"Texas No Call List." Cost is $4.80.
identification, and either a valid police report, 1-888-.10PT-OUT (1-888-567-8688
- Do not exchange personal information for investigative report, or complaint of'an Identity
Theft crime. CS CREDIT SERVICES (Equifax)
prizes. They should be free...no strings
P.O. Box 674402
attached, if it sounds too good to be true..:it is
- Contact the Federal Trade Commission, Houston, TX 77267-4402
which keeps a database of identity thefts. 888-766-0008
What should I do if my information has been
^ - If you do have to clean up fraudulent Request Credit Report 800-759-5979
accounts on your credit, make sure all
communication is done in writing and sent by EXPERIAN
- Get and keep a copy of the police report. You
certified mail, return receipt requested. Keep a P.O. Box 2104
will need it for proof of the crime.
record of out of pocket expenses incurred. Allen, TX 75013-2104
888-397-3742 or 900-659-7000
- If your purse, wallet, checks or drivers license
- Lastly, keep a detailed log of all your www.experian.com
are stolen, notify DPS, the Social Security
contacts with authorities and financial Request Credit Report 888-397-3742
Administration, local law enforcement agency,
credit card companies and your bank.
Here is a list of contact information and P.O. Box 390
- Far any credit card information that has been
resources you may wish to use. Springfield, PA 19064
stolen, contact the fraud/ security department of
the creditor or financial institution and close www.tuc . com
that account. If it is not feasable to close your Social Security Administration :
Fraud Report: 800-259-0271 Request Credit Report 800-888-4213
bank account, you can have it flagged by the
Order Statement: 800-772-1213
three major credit bureaus.
www. ssa. gov
- Contact all three credit reporting agencies
Federal Trade Commission: Joe Black
and place a security alert on your credit.
You should do this by telephone as soon as
Oversees the credit bureaus and maintains a Harrison County District Attorney
database of identity thefts. You may also
possible and then follow up in writing. You
obtain a copy of the Fair Credit Reporting Act. 903-935-8408
may wish to send them an ID theft affidavit and
877-382-4357 903-938-9312 FAX
copies of the police report. Make sure written
communication is sent certified mail. www. ftc. gov
-Always shred your cedit card recess and Your information may allowacriminaUa;
discarded credit card applications, ATM
receipts and unretained bills. -open unauthorized charge accounts
- order goods and services
- Never give personal information to someone -access your personal or business accounts for
over the telephone. Always ask for a physical withdrawals or purchases.
location and get the full name of anyone you -secure loans
deal with. -hide illegal funds
- gain employment to circumvent criminal
- Check all your billing statements and bank background checks
statements for unauthorized charges or
withdrawals. If you do not receive a regular What personal information do they want?
statement on time, contact your credit card
company or bank immediately. -social security number
- date of birth
- Always instruct your credit card issuers and drivers' license number
anyone else you purchase goods or services mothers' maiden name
from that you do not wish to share or sell your - bank account or credit/ debit card numbers
information with/ to others. - PIN numbers
- log-on names / ID
- Remove your name from marketing lists, -passwords
No one is completely safe from identity theft.
- Install a locked mailbox with a slot. Never The following are steps that can be taken to
place your mail in an unsecured/ open help secure your personal information and
container. Take it to the post office or prevent identity theft.
- Create a log of all credit and personal
- Always check the reputation of any company information, including credit card numbers,
you do business with on-line. Also look fora customer service telephone numbers and credit
contact address located within the continental reporting agency contact information.
United States. It is much more difficult to
retrieve funds or information transferred out of - Review your credit report at least once a year.
the country. Be cautious of any business that
only has a P.O. Box for an address. - Do not pre-print your drivers' licence
number, social security number or phone
- Check Social Security statements for number on your checks.