; Application for Singapore Permanent Residency
Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out
Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Application for Singapore Permanent Residency


  • pg 1

How to Apply for Singapore Permanent Residency
After you have obtained your employment and dependent passes, you may wish
to apply for Singapore Permanent Residence (SPR).

In Singapore the process is relatively straightforward. It’s unlikely you will require
the services of an immigration consultant or lawyer. So long as you hold a
Singapore P, Q or S work pass, you may submit your application at any time.
There is no mandatory qualifying period.

Non-Singaporeans can become Singapore Permanent Residents (SPRs) by
obtaining an Entry Permit. An application for an Entry Permit is jointly an
application for Singapore Permanent Residence.

The following categories of foreigners are eligible to submit applications:

      Spouse and unmarried children (below 21 years old) of a Singapore Citizen
       (SC)/Permanent Resident (SPR);
      Aged parents of a Singapore Citizen;
      P, Q or S work pass holders;
      Investors/Entrepreneurs;
      Hong Kong residents who satisfy certain guidelines can apply for permanent residence
       by submitting applications through SMC Management Consultants Pte Ltd in Singapore.

For SMU’s faculty who are work pass holders, you need to:

   1. Fill in Form 4A (Application for Permanent Residence for
      Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers). The form can be
      downloaded from Singapore’s Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA)
      website: www.ica.gov.sg – look under Permanent Resident Services.

   2. Ask SMU’s Office of Faculty Administration (OFA) to complete Annex A of
      Form 4A.

   3. Submit two sets of completed Form 4A (one original and one photocopy)
      with Annex A and all supporting documents personally to:

       Permanent Resident Services Centre
       5th Storey, ICA Building
       10 Kallang Road (next to Lavender MRT station)
       Singapore 208718

Property of Office of Faculty Administration, Singapore Management University
After Approval in Principle

After approval in principle is granted by the ICA (which may take up to three
months from the date of application, but can be shorter), you should then do the
following as instructed by the ICA in order to complete your conversion to PR:

   1. Register for a Singapore Identity Card (NRIC)
   2. Apply for Singapore Entry Permit and multiple re-entry visa
       (N.B.: The fee for an Entry Permit is S$100 and the fee for a Re-Entry Permit is S$10 per year. For
       foreigners requiring a visa, the visa fee is S$20 per issue.)
   3. Go for a medical examination, if instructed by ICA
   4. Enrol in Singapore’s Central Provident Fund (CPF)

After Completing the PR Process
You will need to provide SMU’s OFA with:

      A photocopy of your new NRIC (blue card, both sides). Your NRIC
       contains the identity number which a PR receives in Singapore. It will be
       different from your Foreign Identity Number (FIN) on your employment or
       dependent’s pass.

      A photocopy of stamped passport and Form 5 which indicates your “re-
       entry status” in Singapore.

Upon receiving your new NRIC number, you should also follow up with SMU’s
administration regarding:

      A new SMU ID card (from OFA)
      A new Aviva insurance card (from SMU’s OHR), where applicable

Some Impacts of Converting to PR Status

CPF: Once you are granted PR status, you will need to contribute to your CPF
(Central Provident Fund). Both you and SMU would ordinarily pay a graduated
rate for the first two years of PR status and full rates thereafter. You may,
however, opt to scale up to full rates right from the start. You would have the
option to elect one of the following:

      SMU immediately scales up to full employer contribution rates, while you remain at the
       graduated rate for employee over the 2-year phasing in period, or

      Both you and SMU immediately scale up to full contribution rates.

You can read more about CPF and the PR graduated rates at www.cpf.gov.sg.
Or ask OFA or OHR should you require any additional clarification about this.

Property of Office of Faculty Administration, Singapore Management University
SMU Gratuity: Once you begin your CPF contributions, your SMU service
gratuity will stop accumulating. The accumulated amount, including the tax
gross-up, will be paid to you as “cash earnings” at the next available payroll date.
Thereafter, your appointment will no longer carry with it a service gratuity

School Fees for Dependent Children: All things being equal, the financial
assistance, once extended in respect of your dependent child, as part of your
current employment contract, will not be withdrawn when you take up
Singaporean PR during the contractual period. However, SMU’s management
reserves the right to review the eligibility of the faculty member for this provision
when the contract is being renewed.

Singapore National Service: Under the Enlistment Act, all male Singapore
Citizens and Permanent Residents (PRs) are liable to register for National
Service (NS) upon reaching 16 1/2 years old. They are required to serve 2 years
of full-time NS at 18 years old, followed by 40 days of Operationally Ready
National Service per year till the age of 50 years (for officers) or 40 years (for
other ranks).

Main applicants who are granted PR status under the first generation
Professionals/Technical Personnel and Skilled Workers (PTS) Scheme or the
Investor Scheme are exempted from NS. Male children who are granted PR
status under their parents' sponsorship are liable for NS upon reaching 16 1/2
years old. Refer to www.ns.sg for more information.

Further Information and FAQs

You may also refer to this link in the ICA web site for a comprehensive list of
FAQs about the application process.

In addition, the ICA has set up a special on-line service called the RED, AMBER,
GREEN Eligibility Tool where you can do a self assessment on your eligibility for
PR and Singapore Naturalization. Take a look at the following link:


If you have a life time membership to the RELO CENTER, you may also find it
helpful to refer to the Center.

If you have further questions about how the PR status will affect your
employment relationship with SMU, please feel free to contract OFA, or directly
contact OHR with respect to payroll, CPF matters, or the administration of SMU’s
Flex-Ben Program.
                                                                            Date: March 2007

Property of Office of Faculty Administration, Singapore Management University

To top