; Attendance
Documents
Resources
Learning Center
Upload
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

Attendance

VIEWS: 106 PAGES: 15

  • pg 1
									                          SENATE MINUTES 2/26/08

ATTENDANCE:

  Executive Board Members         Present     Not Present      Late
        Mike Zwolinski               √
       Georgina Cannan               √
        Hilary Emerson
         Taavi Raidma                √
        Matt Bresnahan               √
      Jonathan Wolinsky              √
        Victor Martinez                       √ (excused)
         Katie Stanley               √
     Corinna McFarland               √

          Senators                Present     Not Present      Late
         Gabe Amo                    √
        Ashley Arra                  √
        Amy Brown                    √
        Max Cohen                                  √
       Jessica Coons                 √
       James Culver                                         √ (excused)
        Tess Cunard                  √
       Emily Firment                 √
         Leo Gayne                   √
       Eric Ginsburg                 √
       Zach Ginsburg                 √
         Phil Kiley                  √
        Reid Lavoie                  √
         Ian Lyons                            √ (excused)
        Nate Mauer                   √
       Cassie Migani                 √
      Lindsey Nielsen                √
        Bethany Pine                 √
        Toby Rowe                    √
       Shannon Ryan                  √
     Genevieve Scoville              √
      Nicole Schmitz                                        √ (excused)
       Austin Simko                  √
       Holly Sjotren                 √
        Ben Spalter                  √
       Cara Strachan                 √
PUBLIC COMMENTARY:

None.


ANNOUCEMENTS:

Cassie:
Last day to order/pay for sweatshirts is Friday. You must pay by Friday or you don’t get
your sweatshirt

Eric:
This Monday the 3rd, two Holocaust survivors coming to speak. 3:30PM in the Austin
House. There will be fun catered Aramark food.

Nate:
Can I introduce myself?

Georgina:
I’d like to introduce Nate Maur, our new Senator.

Ashley:
I’m on the Dean of Students search committee. 6-7:30PM this Wednesday and Thursday
night. It’s open to all students. In Balfour 1962 Room.

Leo:
LRC forms due 3/3. If you’ve been nominated get your information to Katie Tessitore.
As soon as possible.


APPROVAL OF MINUTES:

Motion to Approve
Second
Discussion

Hilary:
You really didn’t find anything wrong?

Eric:
No Hilary, you’re perfect.

Vote:
Favor- 19
Opposed- 0
Abstained- 3
EXECUTIVE BOARD UPDATES:

Katie:
Spring weekend band agent will be getting back to us pretty soon.

Jonathan:
Ed. Council will be having our speaker on the Cambodian genocide. Hence how Victor is
just getting off his deathbed we will be waiting to ask him for money.

Corinna:
I’m on the agenda.

Matt:
The Honor Code Comission had a productive meeting on how students wholly own the
academic and social part of the honor code. Next month’s meeting will focus on the
academic social dichotomy. It went very well. Thanks to Ben Spalter and Cara who
would have come.

Taavi:
We had the 75% of the audits come in. We’ll work on torturing them until the clubs get
their stuff in. It’s important because we’ll use the audits in the allocation process.

Speaker fund has $4,408
Venture fund has $5,168

Hilary:
In CRC this week we met with one of the people in the Mars group and Toby joined us as
well. We revised the resolution.

We’ll be taking pictures for the bulletin board this week!

Georgina:
The mailboxes have moved. Pick up your constituents We’re doing committee
appointments today. Senate fund has $2,090 left.

Mike:
It’s quieter in here this week. I want to tell you congratulations on doing an exemplary
job last week. There was the possibility of things getting out of hand, but we did a great
job.

There was the Dean of Students Meeting. There was the Trustee Meeting.

The pictures will go on the website.

Professor Bloom is sick. We’ll be passing around a card.
CLASS OFFICERS UPDATES:

Cassie:
We drafted a proposal for Dean Sue for Disorientation. We’re probly going to do a 3 keg
for one of the non-existent dances Spring weekend.

Email Wheaton08photos@gmail. For pictures for the senior slideshow.
Rosecliff forms in your mailboxes.

Phil:
Later this week we’re going to be talking with the radio station to see if we can get a
kick-ass spring weekend.

Ashley A:
We’re doing something Spring Weekend. Our next event is the Big Moves event on
4/20. We’re having a 2010 Relay for Life team in April.

Tess:
We’re working on planning our event for Spring Weekend. We want to have a movie
night at the Loft to distribute class t-shirts.

Georgina:
This week is the week of your bi-weekly email. Make sure to send them out.
I made a mistake on my chart, I wanted to apologize to Max, his name should not be in
red on the list.


AGENDA ITEMS:

1. DEAN BELL

Georgina:
Thank you Dean Bell for coming.

Dean Bell:
I met with Austin and we talked about the café renovations. I’d like you all to meet
Rebecca Pye. She convenes the Balfour Advisory Committee. We need to get your two
groups together so you can talk to the President together. There’s a price tag, but we can
make some changes that make people feel good, without necessarily spending a ton of
money.

Holly:
What would the budget be?
Dean Bell:
It depends. If there are computers available There was some talk about building a bar
along one side. That is a matter of how much it would cost.

Holly:
Would there be a few thousand dollars to get couches and chairs?

Dean Bell:
I don’t know. That’s not in my budget. There are few social spaces at Wheaton. Trying to
make the café a place to hang is certainly a priority for all of us.

I had a discussion with Gabe about financial issues. There are two tracks. We spoke
about Freshmen, Sophomores and Juniors understanding what taking out loans mean.
The other level is Seniors understanding how to live after graduation financially,
transition-out issues. Beyond the Bubble starts soon. We’ll continue to work with Gabe
and his subcommittee.

As far as housing goes, the President sent an email out recently. He mentioned in the
email that students in triples may become privileged. I wanted to make sure there wasn’t
a misunderstanding. There is no way that will happen this year. We have to find a way to
privilege half the class (who were in triples). There needs to be a substantive
conversation about how we do that. We’re open to do that conversation.

We’re finding a new faculty member for the Beard/Keefe/Gebbie quad. That job will
change a little bit. We want to make them be more visible, more accessible. Keefe and
Gebbie were modeled after a village in Mexico. Los Socones. There was a fluffy idea
about community, but we haven’t been able to work it out in ways we’d like to. We’re
going to find out how it is living in Learning Communities.

Georgina:
Could you talk about the housing crunch and how Student Life is working to address this.

Dean Bell:
It’s important to say we hate the housing crunch even more than you. We have so few
options to move you, we just absolutely hate the whole thing. I had a conversation with
Dean Sue today, do I have to put it in sign language, do I have to put it in hieroglyphics,
what language do I have to put it in to get through.

The solution is often, we’ll give you another house. That only helps with 13 seniors, not
freshmen. We have a gender imbalance, more an more women are coming to Wheaton.
We’ll probably use lounges in the next 2-3 years. You could sleep at the science center I
suppose. The overcrowding will unfortunately probably continue. We weren’t able to do
50% of the room changes. The unfortunate thing is people see empty spaces, but the
reality is that not every space suits every person. There may be spaces in a house, but
freshmen shouldn’t be put in houses not knowing the theme.
Jon:
Regarding the café renovation, to see the café be turned to student use, do you think there
still can be a balance? Could the space be shared by faculty still?

Dean Bell:
I do see it as shared space. When I first got here I thought what an odd building. It
doesn’t facilitate hanging. At many colleges there are big lounges with tvs. I would
know Leo would be hanging out with his SGA pals at 3:00. The café is a first step.

Getting the café hours extended is a challenge for Aramark, because Chase is open until
midnight. I don’t know how we negotiate that, but we have to keep talking to Aramark.
I’m open to all kinds of ideas, but I’d like to see

Genevieve:
How many beds do we need to solve the housing crunch?

Dean Bell:
120 beds.

Genevieve:
Is that enough?

Dean Bell:
At our current enrollment yes, but if the Administration says look, we have 120 extra
beds, let’s admit 40 more students, we’re right back where we started. A decision has to
be made for how many students we have. I say we should get 120 new beds and keep
admission at the same level.

Jess:
We have a committee looking at compensation or some way to ease the burden for
students who are in forced triples. We’re having a hard time coming up with options that
don’t cost anything. Do you have any insight on this?

Dean Bell:
No, but I’ll put it out to my staff.

Leo:
Dean Bell, thanks for coming tonight. I have a feeling I know the answer to this question,
but Guest House has no laundry facilities.

Dean Bell:
We can’t figure out where to put the laundry facilities.

Leo:
Right next to the kitchen, there’s room in the lounge.
Dean Bell:
I can ask.

Leo:
It would be really nice to look into it in the future.

Dean Bell:
I’ll find out if we can get stackable laundry machines. I’ll look into it, I promise.

Cara:
I wanted to go back to Keefe and Gebbie. We came up for a great theme, but there was
no accountability for it. The AC has to make sure everyone falls through for what their
plans are.

Dean Bell:
We want to see if we can do something imaginable. Small communities are hard. How
do we do this so we have buy in from everyone but it’s manageable for everyone. Many
come up with great themes but don’t have the experience to make them work. The ACs
can’t keep track of all of this.

Sometimes people feel isolated in their suites. People were meant to be interacting, not
staying behind the doors in their suites. You’re right there’s no accountability. We’re
looking at how do we make this viable and a memorable experience for folks. How do
we get academics more involved in this?

We’re starting to ask the questions and look for the answers.

Matt:
Dean Bell, I’ve lived in Special Interest Housing for 3/4 years here. I can’t remember my
theme. Is there a discussion for removing the Special Interest for part of Gebbie or
Keefe?

Dean Bell:
No we’re not going to remove them from the learning community.

Most of the houses do their themes.

Reid:
Is there any work being done coordinating between Student Life and Admissions about
the number of students admitted?

Dean Bell:
The Trustees decide how many students are admitted. We are really the last stop on the
train if you will.

Ashley:
I’m wondering I’m the Hanson-Beard Scholar. He is upset that people are living in the
study rooms. Is that the last resort?

Dean Bell:
That is the last resort. Any community space is the last resort.

Amy:
As far as the forced triple compensation, are half of the freshmen in triples at the
beginning of the year?

Dean Bell:
Yes. The numbers throughout the year fluctuate.

Mike:
Dean Bell is the SGA advisor, for those of you who don’t know.

2. MARS

Georgina:
CRC worked on the MARS and let’s take 5 minutes to read it.

Motion to Approve Resolution
Second
Discussion

Zach:
Before the motion was called can we make friendly amendments?

Zach:
Motion to add the s.

Second
Discussion

Vote:
Favor- 21
Opposed- 1
Abstained- 0

Mike:
Headline in the Wire Senate votes to pluralize

Georgina:
Let’s combine all new friendly amendments into one motion.

Jonathan:
Make punctuation after Whereas consistent- comas

Hilary:
I want to publicly thank Toby for doing an amazing job. He came to the meeting
incredibly prepared and had drafted a version of the resolution that is almost exactly what
we ended up using.

Toby:
Make the f in Mars family lowercase, E in affect, change Africa to African

Motion to approve all friendly amendments previously stated
Second
Discussion

Vote:
Favor-23
Opposed-0
Abstained-0

Discussion on whether to pass the resolution

Vote on Resolution:
Favor- 23
Opposed- 0
Abstained- 0


3. TRUSTEES

Corinna:
Trustees were interested in student issues.

We had a dorm walk through, they saw 3 forced triples. I want to talk about the email
from President Crutcher. It eludes to the fact that the administration will be taking on the
lottery and student housing issues. We brought this up with the Trustees as something we
were just thinking about. President Crutcher portrayed this as something they’re taking
on. What the Trustees did with the information, we do not know, but we did not say go
do this. It was not the main focus of our meeting.

We talked about housing and wanting a new dorm. We did the dorm walk through.

We talked about the café renovations, compensation issues. All 5 of our SGA goals came
up in the meeting.

That’s a broad overview.
Cara:
President Crutcher may have addressed lottery issue because the Trustees said we can’t
promise you a new dorm. They jumped on an alterative idea.

Mike:
We did focus on the housing issue. The Trustees were surprised at how difficult building
a new dorm was.

Corinna:
Next we talked about a lack of support for students to go onto grad school The Trustees
were really shocked and interested in the fact that students want to get into grad school.

In terms of financial planning, it’s hard to create programming to inform students about
debt. They had ideas to bring some alums back to give some guidance to current students
about what to do when they graduate. This topic was more abstract.

Gabe:
With this one, the reaction we got was one positive- Wheaton students want to do all
these great things and be great people, and one on the negative- that things weren’t being
done. The Trustees aren’t troops on the ground, but this is one where they saw no excuse
for not having a better program. They thought the administration had a responsibility to
make the grad school and financial support better. I was pleasantly surprised by their
forthcomingness.

Mike:
It’s always good to show them the big pictures, of Wheaton 10, 20 years down the road. I
think we did a good job on that.

Corinna:
The third topic was very strange. We usually only bring top level issues. We talked
about the Club Sports Field and how the students are affected by this. We talked about
how we need a new filed, and what we can do to improve it in the mean time. They were
surprised about how many students were affected.

Cara:
Two of the recent alums said there weren’t many club sports teams, but in the last 10
years 1/2 the student body has become involved. They wanted to see the numbers. They
were really perceptive over all

Nate:
There’s a reason the sports team call it the swamp. It floods all the time. Are you
thinking of drainage at all?

Cara:
The reason we’re considering a sprinkler system is because there is no grass. We would
ideally re-surface the field.
Nate:
We’re talking about the women’s soccer field right?

Cara:
No, the club and intramural sports field.

Corinna:
I was happy we had this random category of student concerns. We talked about the
Science Center. President Crutcher mentioned again we can have that same level of
greening without the certification and that seems to be the plan. We also talked about
handicapped accessibility.

They were really impressed at all the information we brought to them. Thank you to all
of you too. It was a really good meeting and hugely well received by them.

Emily:
Our table touched on January admits. It was nice to communicate by them the lack of
level of involvement.

Mike:
There are a whole host of issues that go with being a January student. They relate to
getting a new dorm.

Eric:
In terms of the little things, are the Trustees going to push the administration on them?

Corinna:
The point of this committee is to tell them what’s happening on campus. We can keep
making contact with them, but it’s not to push them to do things and yell at President
Crutcher.

Mike:
It’s all about where the money comes from in the end.

Corinna:
They asked us about the Presidential election. They wanted to know if students in the
meeting were representative of all campus.

Cara:
Our Trustees asked about the Honor Code, especially the social side of it and how we
dealt with that. Josh talked about the alcohol policy a little bit. Dean Sue was at our table.
Everything we said she could back us up on, it wasn’t like we were just complaining.

Mike:
In the fall we had talked about how the alcohol policy was affecting the student body.
Corinna:
That’s pretty much it. I think there will be a Wire article coming out about it. Thank you
all for all your work.

4. COMMITTEE APPOINTMENTS

Constitutional Reform Committee

Motion to approve Toby and Phil
Second
Discussion

Vote:
Favor- 22
Opposed- 0
Abstained- 2

SENATE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE

Motion to approve Nate to Senate Appropriations Committee
Second
Discussion

Vote:
Favor- 23
Opposed- 0
Abstained- 1

FOOD ADVISORY COMMITTEE

Motion to approve Shannon, Emily and Ben to the Food Advisory Committee
Second
Discussion

Vote:
Favor- 21
Opposed- 0
Abstained- 3

Senate Housing Action Committee

Motion to approve Shannon and Leo to SHAC
Second
Discussion
Vote:
Favor- 22
Opposed- 0
Abstained- 2

VISIONS COMMITEE

Georgina:
Reid you’re already on it you can’t get re-appointed

Motion to approve Nate and James to the Senate Visions Committee
Second
Discussion

Vote:
Favor- 22
Opposed- 0
Abstained- 2

WEBSITE ADVISORY COMMITTEE

5. SENATE FUND APPLICATIONS

Motion to approve both
Second
Discussion

Zach:
I just thought I should mention that T-O-double-dogg was incredibly against LRC.
And if you disrespect the voice of T-O-double-dogg, you will be crushed by Todd.

Vote:
Favor- 15
Opposed- 0
Abstained- 10


NEW BUSINESS

Amy:
I wanted to bring up an issue with the Wheaton facebook group against the lawsuit.

Cara:
If we’re deciding not to take a stance, we shouldn’t be a member of either group.

Zach:
I do not see a problem with taking a stand personally in a group. We’re all entitled to our
personal opinions. We just need to make sure that we distinguish our views as
individuals and as Senators.

Amy:
I’ve seen some personal attacks against her.

Phil:
I yield to Nate.

Nate:
I think it’s imperative we have this group and I’m definitely not going to take it down.
It’s not meant to attack her.

Amy:
As Senators, we should think about how we represent constituencies.

Reid:
People need to perceive this lawsuit in a lighter light. It has nothing to do with study
abroad, but with billing issues. We have to make sure we realize that what we put into
public has a larger effect on the community. We must remember we carry ourselves
throughout campus all the time.

Matt:
I must echo Zach’s sentiments. Senate as a body is different than individuals. What
Senate votes to do is different than the individual members vote to do. The
responsibilities are not the same.

Jon:
I agree with Reid, and Matt. While you may have your own opinions, the integrity of this
body is only that which we make it. If we’re in a sticky issue, think. If we voted to take
a stand that we’re not going to get involved with this, act in a way that represents who
you are. You’re the same person here that you do out there.

Hilary:

Here’s the minutes quiz. I’m going to read it out loud this week:
“Are we pocketing money or is there a private bank account somewhere and you and
Crutcher are sitting around and counting it at night?”

We’re going to be taking pictures after Senate tonight. If your name is called, you need to
get your picture taken!

Georgina,
Taavi,
Victor,
Jonathan,

Gabe,
Amy
Max
James
Emily
Eric
Zach
Phil
Nate
Toby
Shannon
Austin
Holly

Georgina:
Can we appoint Holly to FAC?

Motion to approve Holly to the FAC
Second
Discussion

Vote: Passed

Katie:
Tell your constituents if they’re part of a club and want to do something for Spring
weekend tell them to email me.

Reid:
Send pictures to the yearbook. And I like Mike Zwolinski’s new haircut, and Corinna’s
new hairstyle is FABULOUS

Ben:
I’m being forced to make a motion to commotion.


Motion to Adjourn.

Ay!

ADJOURNED

								
To top
;