NORTH ANDOVER, 1646-1855 NORTH ANDOVER, as the most advanced in years, though by no means decrepit, of the Merrimack Valley trio, Andover, North Andover, and Methuen, demands our first considera- tion; its very stones have a strictly colonial air, while the stately mansions of this North Parish of Andover promise a marvellous store of history and tradition. Just beyond the village is Lake Cochichawick, Andover's Indian name before it was sold by the unwary Cutsamaehe for a '' Coat and six pounds sterling, provided yl ye Indian called Roger may have liberty to take alewives in Cochichawick River, but if they either spoyle or steale any corne or other fruite to any considerable value of ye inhabitants then this liberty of taking fish shall forever cease." 1 On the way thither, amid the green nestles a homestead of the Osgood 2 family, influential in civil and military affairs from the first settlement. The hill beyond displays the modern mansion of the Hon. Moses T. Stevens, and other beautiful residences occupying the homestead grants of first settlers. The house of General Eben Sutton stands nigh to the ancient "house lot, kort-yard and dwelling house" of Richard Sutton, with its " forty and eight acres of upland lying on the farr side of Shawshin river," sold to him by Mr. Simon Bradstreet and Ann, his wife. Hard by were the log huts of George Abbot senr. on the north and George Abbot jr. on the south, also of Mr. Bradstreet, who took up his last 1 The early township of Andover included land lying between the Merrimack River, Rowley, Salem, Woburn, and Cambridge. 2 Samuel Osgood was a member of the Provincial Congress and Post- master-General. Dr. Joseph Osgood and Dr. George Osgood were emi- nent physicians. 186 North Andover 187 sitting at Andover, a place well fitted for the husbandman's hand but of great inconvenience to the planters in carrying their corn to market.1 You will find the second and NORTH ANDOVER more commodious house of the LANDMARKS: Public Library in worshipful Simon Bradstreet on Odd Fellows' Building. The First Church, Phillips Sq.; organized 1645. the highway to the Old North Kittredge mansion (1784). Home of Dr. Thomas Kittredge of Revolu- Church, the home of our first wo- tionary fame. " Old North Burying- man poet, Anne Bradstreet.2 The Ground," Phillips Manse (1752), Osgood St. Bradstreet house (1667). house, with buttressed chimney Samuel Osgood house First Post- master-General. Timothy Johnson like a fortress to the roof, is most Homestead (169-), Stevens St.; here attractive in its present-day quaint- Penelope Johnson was killed by the Indians; residence, Miss Kate John- ness; to every rafter hangs a tale son. John Osgood house; home of Colonel Osgood of the French and and a certain chamber confesses a Indian War. Osgood mansion, ghost. When the Indians fell on home of Hon. Gayton P. Osgood; (owned by Mrs. J. H. Davis). Man- Andover to take revenge on '' Pem- sion house of Mr. Moody Bridges of aquid Chubb,"3 forty savages, led the First Provincial Congress; birth- place of Major-General Isaac Stevens, by the implacable Assacumbuit, killed at Chantilly, 1862; now the residence of Oliver Stevens, Esq., dragged Colonel Bradstreet and his corner Essex and Depot Sts. Adams family over the snowy road by the House; home of Major John Adams; now the Charlotte Home. light of burning farms, then, as Frye house; home of Chaplain 1 Historical Sketches of Andover, by Sarah Loring Bailey. 2 In the Bradstreet lineage are Oliver Wendell Holmes, William Ellery Channing, Wendell Phillips, Richard H. Dana. Later dwellers in the homestead were the Rev. William Symmes, the Hon. John Norris, associate founder of the Theological Seminary (many were the hospitable " tea-drinkings" at Mrs. Norris's); also Mrs. Elizabeth Parks, the Rev. Bailey Loring, and Master Simeon Putnam, the pedagogue whose idle boys, wearing the dunce-cap, seated by the roadside, quite wore out the grass in doing penance for their misdemeanors. 3 "Pascoe Chubb late Commander of his Majesty's ffort William Henry at Pemaquid is released from jail in Boston on account of his indigent family." He was committed for the cowardly giving up of the fort to the French and Indians, who threatened him with torture on account of an unpardonable act of treachery, he having supplied with liquor Penob- scot Indians who were in conference with him about exchange of prisoners, and then ordered a massacre. 188 Old Paths and Legends of New England Jonathan Frye, Chestnut St., res. Mrs. Sarah P. Grozlier. Abraham suddenly released them at the plea Poor Estate or old " Priest Abbot" of an Indian,—who, when a hunted (author of the History of Andover) place on the Shawshine. Mills boy, was fed and sheltered by (Prospect) Hill. St. Paul's Church. Colonel Bradstreet's mother,—then Peabody house, now owned by Nathaniel Gage. Russell Farm. returned with escort to Saco. A Lake Cochichawick. Foster home- similar act of gratitude was the stead on J. M. Hubbard Estate; birthplace Hon. Jedediah Foster. bringing home of the half-starved Hubbard Elm, near Boxford line; oldest tree in Essex County, 270 captive boy Timothy Abbot by a years. Ancient Fishery on bank of the Merrimack, near mouth of poor, affectionate squaw, who took Shawshine River. pity on his mother. The Governor Bradstreet House, North Andover. Home of Mistress Anne Bradstreet. " The tenth muse sprung up in America." "/ am obnoxious to each carping tongue Who says my hand a needle better fits, A poet's pen all scorn I should thus wrong, For such despite they cast on female wits." North Andover 189 Across the road is the old Phillips Manse,1 the ancestral home of Phillips Brooks. There is his beloved corn-barn, under whose shadow he longed " to sit and talk it all over," his European letter tells us. The Kittredge Homestead (1784), North Andover. Residence of Miss Sarah Kittredge. Lying close by, with only a pasture between, is the old burying ground, and a step farther is the Kittredge mansion, the home of six generations of physicians and of as many sweet singers. Doubtless some one of these was accom- 1 The Phillips homestead was built by Samuel Phillips about 1734. He married Elizabeth Barnard, daughter of the Rev. John Barnard, "who came as a bride with a considerable fortune." Their son, the celebrated Judge Phillips, was a great-grandfather of Phillips Brooks. Mary Ann Phillips, daughter of the Hon. John Phillips, was married here to William Gray Brooks, in 1833. They set up housekeeping near their uncle Peter Chardon Brooks, on High Street, Boston, where Phillips Brooks was born.—Life and Letters of Phillips Brooks, by Alexander V. G. Allen. 190 Old Paths and Legends of New England panied by the ancient bassoon at the North Church, and learned the "art of singing and rules of psalmody" from a music-book of old melodies, America, Wells, Oxford, arranged without staves and with Sanskrit-like notes, lying on the Clement piano of Madame Kittredge. A flax wheel spun lavendered linen for the high canopied bed from flax raised in Andover, and a baby's wrought cap speaks of hours of loving toil by the weary housemother, seated primly in high- back chair close to the flickering light in the quaint candle- stick brought over by Governor Endicott. The Indian war-whoop was far less fearful at Andover's peaceful firesides than the witchcraft frenzy caught one sad day from Salem Village. Women of high standing were forced into confession of dark dealings with the "Black Man," afterward retracted, while courageous Martha Carrier, who unflinchingly denied being a witch-wife, languished in Salem jail. If a "seasonable spanking" had been ad- ministered to those deluded children of Old Danvers, the plague need not have infected the aforetime staid com- munity, and it would not have been necessary to summon, the eminent Cotton Mather to disperse the witch-revel. The North Church prospered greatly under the Rev. John Barnard, ordained in 1719 with elaborate ceremonies. Church records reveal much public admonishing of mem- bers in good standing. "Voted, that Lawrence shall make a Public confession for the Idle lazy life he has led for these many years. Voted that B make her confession for scandals. That Timothy jr. make a public con- fession for his false and uncharitable reflexion upon me (Mr. Barnard)." The latter offence against the minister was such a grave matter that three ministers were called in from neighboring churches, in consultation. Andover, North and South, played a courageous part in the wars, early and late; two companies under Captain Thomas Poor and Captain Benjamin Ames, in Colonel North Andover 191 James Frye's regiment, appear in the Lexington Alarm Rolls; also companies under Captain Henry Abbot, Captain Nathaniel Lovejoy, Lieutenant John Adams, and Captain Joshua Holt.1 Many of these were at Bunker Hill. "Shot fell like rain on Charlestown Necx And brave the deeds oft told, Of Bailey, Farnum, Frye and Poor And stout John Barker bold." 2 News of the battle reached Andover on Sunday morning, and the patriot parson—Jonathan French—stayed not for scruples of Sabbath travel, but was soon on the field, with musket and surgeon's case. Parson French's fair daughter Abigail became the beauty and toast of the town; and when he presented her with a side-saddle 3 she forthwith proceeded to ride over the hearts of all theologians, staid and otherwise, who came to read with her good father. The saddle finally bore her off on her wedding journey to Bed- ford town, leaving a score of suitors lamenting. 1 In Captain Joshua Holt's Company were Deacon John Dane, Thomas Blanchard, and other aged men, unable to bear arms, who rode to Cam- bridge on the day of the alarm " t o carry provisions for those who stood in need.'' 2 Poem by Annie Sawyer Downs on the occasion of the celebration of the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of Andover. 3 Abigail French married the Rev. Samuel Stearns, of Bedford. Her saddle is now in the possession of the Bedford Historical Society.
Pages to are hidden for
"Old Paths And Legends Of New England"Please download to view full document