Waxhaw Elementary Site-based Management Meeting Agenda
August 27th, 2009
Site-Based Management Committee Members:
Cheryl Lawrence, Principal Jessica Blanchard, Assistant Principal
Jennifer Stanback, Site Based Chair Libby Smith, 1st grade Representative
Pat Snodgrass, Kindergarten Representative Marsha Strawn, 3rd grade Representative
April Heine, 2nd grade Representative Karen Hargrove, 5th grade Representative
Linda Klein, 4th grade Representative Kathey Crowell, Media Representative
Wanda McManus, Special Area Representative Jessica Santana, EC Representative
Kathryn Williams, Guidance Representative Rorie Burke, Parent Representative
Karen Hoerl, Teacher Assistant Representative Carolyn Standing, Parent Representative
I. Call to Order : 2:30 pm
All members above were present for the meeting as well as the following additional parent
II. Old Business:
• Check out sheet at bus lot—has been initiated for the 2009-2010 school year
• Study Skills in 5th grade—Ms. Williams will teach a unit to 5th grade this fall in regards to this
III. Approved New Business:
• Approval of Site Based Chair for the 2009-2010 school year-Jennifer Stanback
• Approval of Secretary for Site-Based for the 2009-2010 school year-Karen Hargrove
• Site-Based Meeting dates for 2009-2010 school year-All meetings will be the 3rd or 4th Thursday of the
month. Mrs. Lawrence will email exact dates to team members.
• School Improvement Plan-Several revisions were made to our School Improvement Plan during the
meeting and were agreed upon by site based team members. Mrs. Lawrence will post the revised plan on
Moodle. After viewed and approved by all staff members through a Moodle survey, the revised School
Improvement Plan will be posted on our school’s web page.
• Discussion about growth in ABC’s Performance Composite and AYP- The team shared the following as
items/events that they felt effected growth: grade level planning, CAMMP training and strategies,
intervention with tutors based on data, planning units of study for Reader’s Workshop, looking closely at
data to focus instruction in the classroom, in-house curriculum coordinators, increasing the use of
technology for instruction (Promethean Boards, document cameras, United Streaming videos, student i-
books), Word Study training and implementation, Math cluster meetings which provide strategies to move
students toward a higher level of thinking, as well as Curriculum Nights for parents.
• Census 2010-Census should be discussed with grade level and implemented in lesson plans (available
on the census website) during the fall 09’. Mrs. Lawrence stressed the need to make sure that our
students are educated about the census due to the fact of the many ways the census affects our daily
lives. Also, information that will go home to parents at a later date will be provided to teachers.
• Questioning Makes All the Difference Workshop follow-up- The team agreed that the following
components--Marzano’s question stems, brain breaks, celebrations, and school-wide silent signal will be
implemented on a daily basis in all classrooms throughout the 2009-2010 school year.
• Schools Supporting Our Soldiers-Students will write letters to two assigned soldiers for 11 weeks. The
first week is the week of August 31st, and the letters are due Friday. The rotation is as follows: 5th, 4th, 3rd,
2nd, Pre-K/K/1st, 5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, Pre-K/K. Teachers will provide personal hygiene items in a box that
will be located in front of the staff mailboxes. Administration will mail out the care packages based on the
Site Based Chair Jennifer Stanback made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 4:27; Karen Hargrove, seconded the
motion. Next meeting date will be relayed through email and posted on the school website.