support for carers

Document Sample
support for carers Powered By Docstoc
					Support for
carers of adults
with learning

               for people with learning disabilities

Some people with                        Sometimes carers need some time off – this         Carers’ assessment
learning disabilities                   could be an hour, a day or a week. If people
live with their families                do not have a break, they will become very         It is important that carers have a Carers’ Assessment.
or close friends.                       tired or even unwell particularly if they do not   This is an opportunity to talk about:
                                        get a full night’s sleep on a regular basis.       ■      the effect of caring for a person with learning disabilities.
                                                                                           ■      whether the carer wishes to or is able to continue caring.
This booklet provides
                                                                                           ■      the services needed.
information about the types
of support that might be                                                                                                             A carers’ assessment is different to the assessment
available for the people                                                                                                             the person with a learning disability has. That
                                                                                                                                     assessment looks at the needs and wishes of the
who care for someone
                                                                                                                                     person with a learning disability.
with a learning disability.
The term "carer" does not                                                                                                            You can ask for a carers’ assessment by contacting
apply to paid care staff.                                                                                                            your local Learning Disability Partnership Team.

                                        This booklet tells you about the different
Any person or member
                                        services that can give carers a break, either
of a family who cares for
                                        regularly or from time to time.                    There are different services and activities available to people with learning disabilities
a person with a learning
                                                                                           that also give the carer a break. A Care Manager can tell you about these.
disability could be a carer.            After reading this booklet, if you want help
                                        you should contact your local Learning
                                                                                                                                     If you do not know their address or
                                        Disability Partnership Team to talk about
                                                                                                                                     number, telephone the County Council
                                        what help you might like.
                                                                                                                                     Freephone number on 0800 243916.

                                                                                                                                     The type and amount of support available will
                                                                                                                                     be assessed. Generally the maximum is 22 over
                                                                                                                                     night stays a year.

for people with learning disabilities

Daytime support for people with learning                                                     Residential breaks
disabilities                                                                                                                           These are breaks where the person with a learning
                                                                                                                                       disability goes to stay at a small unit often called
                                                                                                                                       short breaks or Respite Unit. This could be just
                                                                                                                                       overnight, for a weekend or for a week or more,
                                                                                                                                       depending on needs.
                                         Most day services
                                         are open between                                                                              These are helpful if the carer would like the house
                                         9am and 4pm.                                                                                  to themselves, or they are going away and can’t
                                                                                                                                       leave the person with learning disabilities at home.

Local services are run for people to meet and take part in community activities. Support
is provided to help people with learning disabilities access their local community and
                                                                                             Home-based Breaks
develop their independence.                                                                                                            These are short breaks, such as for a couple
                                                                                                                                       of hours, to give the carer an opportunity
■    Some services provide training in independence skills or craft work.
                                                                                                                                       to go shopping or go out and see friends.
■    Some services offer work skills.
                                                                                                                                       This works by someone coming to the home
■    Services provide special equipment and help with personal care for those who need it.
                                                                                                                                       to be with the person with a learning disability
■    There may be a charge.
                                                                                                                                       whilst the carer has a break.
■    Visits to day centres can be arranged through your Care Manager.

                                                                                             Crossroads is one of the organisations that provides this support to carers at home.
                                                                                             They mostly do regular planned visits and stay with the person with a learning disability
                                                                                             or take them out.

Adult Placement Scheme                                                                             Carers’ Support Workers
This is a scheme where the person with learning disabilities is "linked" with a family.                                                      Carers’ support workers provide support and
The person with learning disabilities is then able to stay with another family or individual                                                 information for all carers. They run support groups,
for a few hours to a week or a fortnight. All Adult Placement carers are recruited very                                                      provide information packs, and arrange training and
carefully, and are given training and support. They are given a small allowance to cover                                                     social events. A Carers Support Booklet and regular
expenses. People are matched so that their interests are similar.                                                                            Carers newsletters are available from the support
There is a leaflet about this scheme.                                                                                                        workers – please let them have your contact details
                                                                                                                                             if you want to receive a copy.
Befriending Scheme
                                                                                                   Cambridge City, South                     01223 712055
                                          This is similar to the Adult Placement scheme but        East Cambridgeshire                       01353 652205
                                          the "befriender" spends time with the person with        Huntingdonshire                           01480 420617
                                          a learning disability either going out to a social       Fenland                                   01354 754350
                                          activity or playing a game at home.
                                                                                                   Carers UK (previously The Carers National Association)
                                                                                                   ■     Carers UK free phone 08088087777
                                                                                                   ■     Burwell group (01638) 742739 or 01638 442739
Direct Payments                                                                                    ■     Ely and Cambridge group (01353) 663928
                                                                                                   ■     Huntingdon group (01480) 415173

                                          Sometimes it may be possible to have a cash
                                          payment to provide the support the carer needs           Helplines and Information services
                                          to have a break. A Care Manager can explain
                                          if this might be an option.                              Local contacts:
                                                                                                   Directions Plus – advice service specifically for disability related issues (Handbook available)
                                          Some people use direct payments to pay for a             Cambridge                                                                01223 569600
                                          holiday style break. There are organisations who         Ely                                                                      01353 669431
                                          provide these for the person with learning disability.   Fenland                                                                  01354 659179
                                                                                                   Disability Information Service, Huntingdonshire (DISH)                   01480 830833
                                                                                                   (Handbook available)

Cambridge City                                                                                  01223 415600
South and East Cambridgeshire                                                                   01353 652054
Fenland                                                                                         01945 463952
Huntingdonshire                                                                                  01480 415154

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)                                                       (advice line) 08701 264010
                                                                                    (textphone) 01223 506278
National contacts:
Carers National Association – Carers Line                                    0345 573369 (Monday – Friday)
                                                                        10.00am-12.00pm & 2.00pm-4.00pm
Carers UK                                                                                  0808 808 7777
Mencap Helpline and Information Service                                                    0207 696 6979

Holiday Care Services                                                                           01293 774535
E mail
Provides information on accessible accommodation and opportunities.
Winged Fellowship                                                                               020 7833 2594
John Grooms                                                                                     020 7452 2000
Calvert Trust                                                                         (Exmoor) 01598 763221
                                                                                      (Keswick) 01768 772254
                                                                                       (Kielder) 01434 250232
more information
Further information is available on our website CambridgeshireLearningDisabilityPartnership
or by contacting the Contact Centre on 0845 045 5202.

If you have any questions about this booklet please contact:
Cambridgeshire Learning Disability Partnership, SS1415, Park House, Shire Hall,
Cambridge CB3 0AP Phone: 01223 717473

This leaflet is available on request in large print, Braille, Urdu, Bengali,                Acknowledgements
Vietnamese or any other language and on tape, CD/DVD.                                  Pictures by Change Bank

Produced by:
Cambridgeshire County Council, Communications Team,
SS1003, Castle Court, Shire Hall, Cambridge CB3 0AP                             Information
Phone: 01223 717309 Fax: 01223 717308                                      for people with learning disabilities

Shared By:
Tags: support, carers
Description: support for carers