FAQs by maclaren1


									                                                         FACULTAD DE CIENCIAS POLITICAS Y SOCIOLOGIA
                                                           International Relations Office - GRANADA (SPAIN)
                                                    Tel. + 34 958 246322 - Fax: + 34 958 242030 – e-mail. oriccps@ugr.es



 Which are the application procedures as an exchange student?
First step: your University should send an e-mail to oriccps@ugr.es informing that you are an Erasmus
student, officially nominated, and providing us with your full name, e-mail contact, subject area code under
you are coming and period of your stay.
Second step: we will send you by e-mail the “Erasmus Application Form 2009-2010” (2_Application form)
and other files with information in order to prepare your stay.
Third step: you should return the Application form by ordinary post or e-mail (scanned with photo and
signature) to our International Relations Office (details included in the form) before June 30th, 2009 or
November 30th, 2009 in case you are arriving in February for the second term.
As you will see, a proposal of study programme must be included in the form, although that will not
necessarily mean that you have been accepted and enrolled in the listed course/s. Registration will be done
upon your arrival in Granada.

   What should I do on arrival?

We advice you to come to the INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS OFFICE at the Faculty of Political Sciences and
Sociology (first floor). Open from Monday to Friday, from 10:00 to 14:00 in order to get the lattest
An introductory meeting will take place at the Main International Office (Centro Administrativo Triunfo)
where you should present a statement from your home institution informing about your Erasmus/Exchange
status, a photocopy of your ID/passport and 2 passport pictures. You will then receive the Student
Identity Card which will be necessary to make use of the university facilities (canteens, libraries, sport
facilities, etc...) and to sign up for the Spanish language course.

 Where and when will I register for courses?
You will have to register at the International Relations Office at the Faculty after making the final selection
of courses. Before registering you will have several days to attend classes in order to decide the most
suitable choice according to your timetable and the academic/learning programme agreed with your home
institution. As an Erasmus/Exchange student you will entitled to follow any course from any programme
offered at this Faculty of Political Sciences and Sociology (see document 5_Listado asignaturas) included in
our two degrees:

            Licenciatura en Ciencias Políticas y de la Administración (Erasmus Code 112)
            Licenciatura en Sociología (Erasmus Code 114)

In case you wish to attend any course offered at other Faculty within the UGR, please notice that you will
be allowed to follow only those ones appearing in the “Libre configuración” (free choice) catalogue,
available at the Porter’s Lodge (Conserjería), always provided there are vacant places, that is, we can only
guarantee a place for you in those courses taught at our Faculty. As for the ones taught in other Faculties,
we will do our best to find a place for you.
Information on timetables and rooms will be included in the Student Guide 2009/2010 (Guía del alumno)
available in early September 2009 at the photocopy service (Faculty’s entrance floor) and the Faculty’s
website: http://www.ugr.es/~ccpolsoc/
Political Science
Sociology: http://www.ugr.es/ugr/index.php?page=estudios/titulaciones/fichas/sociologia
Libre Configuración (Free elective courses at other Faculties) Academic year 2009/10:
Not published yet, we will send you the information about the updated link.

 Where and how can I find accommodation?
Accommodation will NOT be provided by the International Relations Office at the Faculty. The University of
Granada Accommodation Service collects all the information available about various types of lodgings
facilities in the city and puts it at the disposal of all university students.
The address of the Accommodation Service is:
Vicerrectorado de Estudiantes de la Universidad de Granada
C/ Severo Ochoa s/n, Campus Fuentenueva, 18071 Granada
Tel: +34 958 244 072; Fax: +34 958 243 134
We recommend you to arrive the week before the official inauguration of the semester and stay at a cheap
hostel until you can find the most suitable accommodation (generally, shared flats with other Spanish or
foreign students). The most popular option is to contact other students looking for a room-mate through
the numerous advertisements you will find all around the campus and town. This will be the best way to
integrate and improve your language skills.

   What about the Spanish Language Course? (only for Erasmus/Exchange students)

As Erasmus/Exchange student you will have the right to attend one of the free Spanish-language courses
organised by the university each year, provided you meet the requirements established. Normally, students
at a beginner or an advanced level will not be allowed onto these courses. You must arrive in Granada at
least 5 days before the level test is due to take place; you will be automatically registered when you hand
in at the central International Relations Office the documents needed to issue the Erasmus student card
(during the introduction meeting). The last day for registration will be the Monday prior to the day of the
level test. Free-mover students or Visitors WILL NOT have the right to follow this course.
Course information: 60 hours (6 ECTS credits): 2 hours/day (Monday/Wednesday/Friday) during 30 days or
3 hours/day (Tuesday/Thursday) during 20 days.

   Will I get credits for the Spanish Language Course?

You can obtain 6 ECTS credits, always provided the exams at the end of the language course have been
passed and the diploma from the Centro de Lenguas Modernas (CLM) has been awarded. This Diploma
costs around 30 euros. This result will not be included in the “transcript of records” that will be sent to your
home university at the end of the exchange but credits can be obtained by showing the mentioned diploma
from the CLM.

   Will I be allowed to use the University facilities?

As an Erasmus/Exchange student you will be able to borrow books from the Faculty’s library and make use
of the computer room. You should not forget to hand in your exchange student card when to make use of
any facilities at the Faculty.
The sports card, which guarantees access to sport facilities, must be obtained at the Campus de
Fuentenueva, Avda. Severo Ochoa s/n, (Sports Service, opening hours: Mo.-Fr. 9-14h.). Your exchange
student card and your ID/passport must be handed it. Further information at: http://www.ugr.es/~sdugr.

   What should I do if I get ill?

If you are a student from the EU who has the right to public health care in your home country, you should
bring with you the European Health Insurance Card (replacing the E128 or E111 form) which will entitle you
to visit a doctor by handing in the mentioned card at the Health Centre nearest to your home in Granada
together with the form “Solicitud de elección de médico” that, for this purpose, is available at the Health
Centre next to your appartment. Thus you will receive the same level of health care that Spanish nationals
are entitled to.
Non-EU students on an exchange programme will need to have their own international medical insurance,
except in those cases when the University of Granada has agreed to provide such a coverage.

   Will the UGR organise extracurricular activities (sport competitions, trips, etc...)?

The UGR organises through the students association ASEE ( Asociación de Servicios al Estudiante
Extranjero) a wide range of extracurricular activities such as sport competitions, trips, flamenco courses,
cultural visits to the city, etc... In case you are interested in joining the association you should contact them
directly at their headquarters (C/ Severo Ochoa, Edificio Comedores Universitarios) or send them and e-mail
to: asee@ugr.es, they will help you with accomodation by putting you in contact with students offering to
share rooms.

To top