Milledgeville Oconee River
• Phase 1 from Bridge to Fishing Creek
• Extension of Greene Street to Boat Ramp
• Parking Lots for Cars and Trailers
• Trails Along River and Through Woods
• Boardwalks over Wetlands and to Island
• Playground Area and Landscaped Park
• From National
• Class 1 Code
Greenway Location April 17, 2003
Greenway Location March 20, 2003
Flooding of Greenway
• On March 8, 2003 the River Reached a
Flood Stage of 29 Feet. The River Leaves
it’s Banks at Approximately 20 Feet. The
Greenway Would be 9 Feet Under Water.
River Leaves Banks
The Oconee River leaves it’s banks at approximately 20,000
ft3/Sec of flow. It has done this 94 times since 1954 or 2.0
times per year. The Greenway design must be flood tolerant.
Impact of Lake Sinclair Dam
• The River was Dammed in 1953.
• Since then Water flow has Generally Decreased