MORLEY COLLEGE (1993) LIMITED by izs21215


									                         ASSISTANCE FOR STUDENTS
                            A Guide to the Hardship Fund
Are you having money problems that are preventing you enrolling on a course?
Help from the Hardship Fund can be given for one course per term.
The College has different ways to help you:
       a) Concessionary Fees - If you are low-waged, under 19 years of age or receiving an
          income-based benefit, you can pay a concessionary fee or receive fee remission.
       b) Staged Payments - If you are unable to pay your course fees in full before the first
          meeting of your course, you can apply to the Student Support Assistant -Hardship &
          Childcare Fund to pay in three instalments. The course fees must be more than
          £100 (with the exception of access students).
       c) Childcare Fund – If you do not have the money to pay for childcare, you can apply
          for help from this fund, subject to the fund criteria.
       d) Hardship Fund

This guide tells you about the Hardship Fund. This resource is allocated to the
College by the Learning and Skills Council to help those who are financially
disadvantaged and wish to gain educational qualification or improve their career

  1. Which students does the Hardship Fund support?                   P.2

    2. Which students cannot be supported?                            P.2

    3. What are the different levels of support?                      P.2

    4. What kinds of support are available                            p.2

    5. When must I complete the application form?                     P.3

    6. How to complete the application form                           p.3

    7. How the decision is made                                       p.4

    8. When will I get a decision?                                    P.4

    9. Appeals                                                        p.4

    10. Your contract with us                                         p.4

    11. Further advice                                                p.5

F:\pdf\68c6d7cc-953e-4d38-b21f-7d53bc13d1ee.doc                                              1
1.          Which students does the Hardship Fund support?

You must be:
     a) “Ordinarily resident” in the United Kingdom (UK) or European Union (EU) for the
        three years before the course starts.
     b) Experiencing financial hardship.

2.      Which students cannot be supported?
        a) Refugees and asylum-seekers who have not been "ordinarily resident" in the UK or
           EU for the three years before the course starts.
        b) Asylum-seekers in receipt of a means-tested benefit or young, unaccompanied
           asylum-seekers aged 16 - 18 in the care of social services.
        c) Overseas students, from outside the EU, holding a student visa

3.    What kinds of support are available?
The help you get from us may take different forms including support for course costs, travel,
materials and exam fees.

a)      Course Costs

Students receiving means tested benefits will contribute 15% of the full course fee. If the
course costs over £150 then they will pay 30% of the full fee.

Students who have a low income (household income less than £15,050 p.a.), and can give
evidence of financial hardship, will pay 50% of the full fee.

NOTE. Support for a course will normally be available for the standard length of the course
e.g. one year for an access course.

b)     Travel

Students who meet the eligibility criteria in (1) above, who are attending an access or skills for
life course and who are in receipt of means tested benefits may claim a travel grant towards
the costs incurred in travelling to and from the College. The College will issue a grant of £2.00
for every day that you attend which will be paid by cheque once a term conditional on your
attendance being 75% or over

c)      Other

Books, equipment and major items of learning materials may be bought by the College and
provided to you on extended loan. All such materials and equipment remain the property of the
College and should be returned at the end of your course. Only one payment of this kind will
be given for each course, and this will be agreed with Curriculum Area Managers.

4.     When must I complete the application form?
Applications for help with course fees must normally be made before you enrol for a course.
However, you may apply for the travel grant or other support after the course has started.
Please note, no refunds will be given after enrolment. Support from the Hardship
Fund can only be agreed after an interview with the Hardship Fund staff.

F:\pdf\68c6d7cc-953e-4d38-b21f-7d53bc13d1ee.doc                                                  2
5.    How to complete the application form
Section A Name and Address
Please give your full name and current address and contact number.

Section B Courses you wish to take
Please give details of the course you hope to enrol for. You will find the information in the
Course Guide. You can only get help for a Morley College course. If the Course Guide says
that you need the signature of the lecturer before enrolling on a course, you must
obtain this before completing the application form.

Section C Travel Grant
Please fill in this section if you are on an access or skills for life course and you are in receipt
of means tested benefits and meet the eligibility criteria.

Section D Support Requested
Please list any additional help you are asking for. If you do not know how much the exact costs
are, please give your best estimate. You do not have to be exact. Please also tell us how
completing the course will help you and tick the criteria you meet in order to be supported.

You can ask for help with:
       Examination fees.
       Textbooks and learning materials that your tutor says you must have to complete
         the course.
       Fees for one course or one course programme.

Section E: Details of Income
Support will be given for one course each term.

Please note that you must give details of all the money that you receive each month and list all
the things you spend it on. It will help if you can provide copies of documents to support what
you are saying. Documents may include rental agreements, letters from Employment
Services, wage slips, loans and HP commitments, public utilities bills, bank statements,etc.

All original documents will be returned to you.

Finally, sign the application form and return it, together with your documents and completed
Enrolment Form, to Pearl Flanders, Hardship Fund Administrator, in Room B19

6.    How the decision is made
Here are some of the things that we will take into account when considering your application:
   a) Other money that you may be getting, such as mandatory or discretionary student
      awards, social security benefits or other payments through Career Development Loans,
      Educational Maintenance Allowance, New Deal for Lone Parents, Learning for Work
      and similar schemes, and any support from the LEA.
   b) Why you cannot reduce the amount of money you spend each month and use the
      savings to pay for your study at Morley.
   c) What help may be available from other people such as friends, family and partner.
   d) Your commitment to taking the course, to attending regularly and to doing all that is
      required of you to complete the course successfully.
   e) Your agreement to complying with College rules and regulations.

F:\pdf\68c6d7cc-953e-4d38-b21f-7d53bc13d1ee.doc                                                        3
   f) In addition to hardship you have met the criteria as outlined in section 1.
Please Note: Students who have received funds in previous years will be expected to have
had good attendance records. If your attendance was below75%on a previous year then
support may be refused
7.     When will I get a decision?
Normally on the day of your interview. You will need to sign an agreement accepting support
and promising to return all College equipment and materials at the end of your course.

8.      Appeals
If your application is not granted, you can appeal against this decision to the Student Services
Manager who will consider your case. You must submit an appeal, in writing, within seven
days of written notification of the outcome of your application.

9.      Your contract with us
Successful applicants must sign an undertaking to repay part or all course and exam fees if
any of the following conditions apply:
        a) You subsequently abandon or do not complete the course paid for.
        b) You fail to attend assessment/examination, where appropriate.
        c) Your attendance is less than 75% of the attendances required by the course.
        d) Your conduct or behaviour is in breach of College rules & regulations.
Please note, your attendance will be monitored and funding may be withdrawn if it is
less than 75%.
You should also note that if you are given help as outlined above, you may find that your
entitlement to social security benefits, particularly income support, housing benefit and
working tax credit payments may be affected.

Funding is limited and the College regrets it may not be possible to fund all students who meet
the criteria. Submitting a claim for financial support to which you are not entitled is a criminal
offence, and could result in a prosecution for fraud.

10.     Further Advice
If you are in any doubt about the above, or require further advice and information, please
arrange to see the Student Support Assistant - Hardship & Childcare Fund, Pearl Flanders.
She can be contacted on 020 7450 1855 or by e-mail:

F:\pdf\68c6d7cc-953e-4d38-b21f-7d53bc13d1ee.doc                                                    4

To top