Docstoc

mtg mins

Document Sample
mtg mins Powered By Docstoc
					                                    FOUNDATION FOR EXCELLENCE
                                  AT WOODLAND CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS
                                       Board of Directors Meeting

September 14, 2009
        Present
Dave Hargadon
Dan King
Lila Lemenager
Tucker Seiber
Jim Morrow
Debbie Simpson
Justin Smith
Doug Brown
Sue Kowes                   7:05 PM – 8:00 PM
      Not Present
 Jack Hamlin

  Start               End            Next Meeting      Next Time              Location ___________
7:05 PM             10:45 PM           09/28/09         7:00 PM              Matmor Conference Room

I. MEETING CALLED TO ORDER – 7:05 PM

II. DEVOTION FROM LUKE 18:18 – Dave

III. PRAYER – 7:10 PM

IV. RESOLVED ITEMS: The following Action Items were resolved at this meeting:
 Item No.      Action By    Due Date     Action Item
NONE

V. OLD BUSINESS: The following Action Items were brought up as old issues at this meeting:
 Item No.       Action By     Due        Action Item
                              Date
 04.30.05      Tucker         05/04/09   Processes - Bob will write up the administrative procedure manual for money
                                         handling, including but not limited to: receipts, cash disbursement, cash
                                         handling and check writing.
                                         6/4/09 Vic Bucher provided a sample policy draft.
                                         6/29/09 Tucker Seiber has agreed to review and create the financial
                                         policies.
                                         8/3/09 Tucker has a draft he will email to the administrative team for
                                         their review.
 7.27.03       Dan            8/3/09     Dan will call the family of who has recently withdrawn from WCS.
               Justin                    8/10/09 Justin will get the contact information to Dan.
                                         8/31/09 Dan will check to see if he received the contact info.
Foundation for Excellence at Woodland Christian Schools                                         Board Meeting
                                                                                                    09/14/09
                                                                                                          Page 2


 8.3.01        Dave/Debbie   8/17/09   Dave will put together a list of guidelines for the endowment committee.
                                       8/24/09 Dave submitted a draft copy of guidelines for review by the
                                       BOD. Decision to be made at the 9/1/09 meeting.
                                       8/31/09 Dave will work with Debbie to ensure the formatting is consistent
                                       with the policy manual being written and bring back for approval.
 8.3.02        Michelle      8/09      Michelle will give a report on credentialing.
 8.10.03       Admin Team    8/31/09   Admin team will check the phone system to ensure it is working properly and
               Justin                  report back to Jim.
               Lila                    8/17/09 Doug reported he worked on the phone system with Wave on
                                       Friday and it is still not working. It is supposed to be fixed tonight. He
                                       will check and report back.
                                       8/24/09 Matmor is good. The West Street campus still has issues related
                                       to a power outage which took out the PBX. LPC will make the repair.
                                       In the meantime Justin and Lila will email families to explain the phone
                                       issues, including offering an alternative way to contact the school.
                                       8/31/09 Lila and Justin reported the phone system is still not working
                                       properly at the West St campus. Lila and Jim will contact Doug Worley
                                       to work on resolving this issue.
                                       9/14/09 West Street is working. Teri is working with Doug on the
                                       message system. WaveCable had a glitch they are working on and it
                                       should be resolved by 9/15.
 8.17.01       Michelle      9/09      Michelle and Dave will check with DOJ on fingerprinting requirements and
               Dave                    report back to BOD.
                                       8/31/09 Dave reported he is still working on getting contact information
                                       to Michelle.

VI. NEW ITEMS: The following New Action Items were brought up at this meeting:
Item No.      Action By      Due        Action Item
                             Date
9.14.01       Doug           9/28/09    Doug, Justin and Lila need to procure cell phones and give their phone
              Justin                    numbers to the board. Any other employee receiving the cell phone
              Lila                      stipend must do the same and submit their number to the appropriate
                                        administrator to give to the board.
9.14.02       Doug           9/28/09    Doug will give a list of athletes participating in sports to Suzi so she can
                                        invoice the families for the participation fees.
9.14.03       Jim            9/21/09    Jim will submit his recommendations for sick leave/holiday/vacation
                                        policies.

VII. GENERAL DISCUSSION

    o The Board discussed the meeting minutes from 8/31/09.
Foundation for Excellence at Woodland Christian Schools                              Board Meeting
                                                                                         09/14/09
                                                                                              Page 3


   o   OLD BUSINESS
          CELL PHONES: Discussion included the need to procure phones and have their cell phone
            numbers available by the next meeting.

   o 7:15 PM Tucker arrived.

             TITLE II FUNDS FOR BTSA: We have applied for the funds and are waiting to hear from
              WJUSD.

   o NEW BUSINESS
        FUNDRAISING FOR WASHINGTON DC – SUE KOWES
             Discussion included whether or not monies earned during fundraisers would go to the
               individual or split evenly among the group.
                    Sue recommended each individual keep their own monies raised. APPROVED.
             Discussion included the bookkeeping needs for the fundraising: it is either done by the
               school or by the event chairperson.
             Discussion included whether or not a person may keep funds raised if they are unable to
               attend the trip. There are three options: 1) keep the money, 2) submit the money to the
               group to be shared among those going, or 3) have ACTS “bank” the money for a future
               trip.
             Sue reported those fundraising for the Washington DC trip may not use the school name,
               do not fundraise to the entire school with the exception of a flyer in the offices.
             Sue recommended one point of contact among the staff to coordinate all fundraiser in
               order to avoid conflicts.

             JR./SR. 6 DAY TOUR OF BOSTON/PLYMOUTH/NEW YORK CITY.
                  Discussion included the need for Jill Chandon to have a substitute on the Monday.
                  Sue Kowes would need to leave the Washington DC trip one day early to begin this trip.
                          Sue reported ACTS is ultimately in charge of the trip.
                  The proposal is for Jr./Sr. this year, Soph./Jr. next year and then every other year
                     thereafter.
                  The costs associated with the trip are based upon 35 people attending.
                  Discussion included the number of chaperones needed for the trip.

             Sue Kowes left the meeting.

             8:00 PM CANSTRUCTION CANNED FOOD DRIVE – JUSTIN
                   Justin reported on the upcoming canned food drive.
Foundation for Excellence at Woodland Christian Schools                                Board Meeting
                                                                                          09/14/09
                                                                                                Page 4

   o ADMINISTRATION TEAM REPORTS
        JUSTIN SMITH REPORTED ON K-8.
             Approximately 80 students are participating in early release day activities. Eight high
               school students were helping last Wednesday. It is getting to the point where Justin may
               be able to participate in the teacher inservice now that the activities are covered and
               running smoothly.
             Robyn McBurney has completed testing all K-5 students. She will begin working with
               students next week (9/21)
             Justin reported he is working on a possibility of offering advanced computing either
               before or after school.
             Enrollment at the middle school has stayed consistent.
             Enrollment K-5 is up, bringing the number of students K-8 at 193.
             Justin reported on the upcoming 7th/8th grade retreat to Camp Alta.
             Justin reported on the need for gates to be unlocked and cones to be set up prior to the
               afternoon carpool.

             DOUG BROWN REPORTED ON THE HIGH SCHOOL.
                 Enrollment is now at 100 – praise God!
                 WCHS will host a Christian College Fair on Wednesday at 1:00 PM.
                 Doug reported on the retreat to Mount Hermon. Eight students either committed or re-
                   committed their lives to Christ at this retreat. Alan Taylor was the speaker and has
                   followed up with those students, giving each a Bible this last week at chapel. Three of
                   our students had to leave early due to illness.
                 The new scoreboard for the gym has arrived.
                 John Rodegerdts will be maintaining the fields at the Matmor campus.
                 Jeff Kowes is spraying. We have a big problem with gophers, so Jeff will be coming
                   every other week. He will receive a receipt for his donation.

             LILA LEMENAGER REPORTED ON THE PRESCHOOL
                  Enrollment is at 95 children.
                  Karen Paulsen resigned due to her father’s illness and the need to care for him. Lila
                    reported Karen’s first day of employment was 9/1/1987.
                  Lila reported on the verse the preschool has chosen to focus on in light of the
                    construction theme: Philippians 1:6 “being confident of this, that He who began a good
                    work in (me) will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”

   o SPORTS
        The board discussed the need to follow up on those who still owe participation fees.
        The board discussed the past policy regarding driving athletes to sports events.

   o ENDOWMENT
        Dave reported the first Endowment meeting will be Thursday, 9/17, at 7:00 PM.
        Vic Bucher and Alan Reiff have accepted. Discussion included having Chris Bucher participate
         on this committee as well.
Foundation for Excellence at Woodland Christian Schools                                Board Meeting
                                                                                          09/14/09
                                                                                                Page 5


   o 8:30 PM COMMUNICATION
          Dave expressed the BOD’s desire to have all forms of communication coming from the school
            consistent in their format and styling.

   o CHANNELS OF COMMUNICATION
        Dave reminded everyone of the channels of communication and the need to maintain and
          promote them.
   o USE OF WEBSITES
        Dave expressed the BOD’s desire to have administrative oversight in the use of websites,
          including Facebook and individual class websites.
               Any new announcements should be generated by the administrative team first to school
                 families.

   o POLICY FOR SICK LEAVE/HOLIDAY/VACATION
        Jim reported he is close to finishing his recommendations.

   o TREASURER’S REPORT
        Tucker reported on the budget performance for August. He submitted reports to Doug, Justin
         and Lila for their record-keeping and to be able to assess the budget items they are responsible
         for.
        The Finance committee met. Chris Bucher is stepping down in order to get involved with the
         Endowment Committee. Tucker reported on the need for a replacement.

   o 8:20 PM CLOSED SESSION

   o 10:20 PM MEETING ON 9/28 AGENDA
          Doug Brown will give an update on the accreditation process.
          Any agenda items need to be submitted by 9/21/09.
          Dan and Tucker will be out of town from 9/20 to 9/27.
          Next Tuesday night is Parent Information Night.
          Picture Day is Tuesday, 9/22.
          The Spaghetti Dinner is next Thursday 9/24.

   o 10:25 PM PRAYER REQUESTS AND PRAISES SHARED
   o 10:30 PM PRAYER
   o 10:45 PM ADJOURN
Foundation for Excellence at Woodland Christian Schools                                Board Meeting
                                                                                          09/14/09
                                                                                                 Page 6

VIII. MOTIONS
 Motion
 No.                                    Motion           First    Second   Aye   No    Abstain    Unanimous
9.14.01  A motion was made to approve the 8/31/09       Dan      Jim                                 X
         minutes.
9.14.02  A motion was made to appoint Chris Bucher to   Dan      Jim                                 X
         the Endowment Committee

IX. FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
    o Tuition Insurance JANUARY                          o Credentialing – AUGUST
    o Volunteer Database AUGUST 17th
    o Job descriptions AUGUST 24th




___________________________________________________

These minutes were prepared by Debbie Simpson, Secretary. These notes reflect the
understanding of the author from the discussions at the meeting. If there are any errors or
omissions within these minutes, please notify the author within 3 days of receipt otherwise, these
minutes shall become a binding and historical document.
                                      END OF MINUTES

				
DOCUMENT INFO