Docstoc

BRITISH ORCHID COUNCIL - DOC 7

Document Sample
BRITISH ORCHID COUNCIL - DOC 7 Powered By Docstoc
					                                            BRITISH ORCHID COUNCIL
                                                    Registered Charity Nº 1002945
                                            Web Site - http://www.british-orchid-council.info
                                                                    st
     Minutes of Ordinary Meeting held on Sunday, 1 June 2008, at Strawberry Bank Hotel, Meriden
1         Attendance and apologies
                  Officers/specific roles                                  In attendance                            Apologies received
President                                                                                                   Joyce Stewart
Vice Presidents                                                                                             Tony Braund, Max Hopkinson,
                                                                                                            Cedric Maunder, Sue Lane
Chairman                                                  John Spires
Vice Chairman / Chair Communications Subcommittee                                                           Ian Parsons
Chair Conservation Subcommittee                           John Spires
Hon Secretary                                             Richard Baxter
Hon Treasurer                                             Iain Wright
Minutes Secretary                                         Celia Wright
Chairs Judging Subcommittee                                                                                 Johan & Clare Hermans
Slide/CD Librarian
Website Manager
Lecturers List Manager                                                                                      Betty Barber
                Organisation represented
Birmingham & Midlands Orchid Society                                                                        Allan Luckman, Steve Penzer
Bournemouth Orchid Society
Bristol & West of England Orchid Society                                                                    Ian Parsons
British Orchid Growers' Association                       Peter White
British Paphiopedilum Society                             Brian Walker
Cambridge Orchid Society
Central Orchid Society                                    John Spires                                       Mike Bull
Cheltenham & District Orchid Society                                                                        Rod Wells, Tom Price
Cheshire & North Wales Orchid Society                     Iain Wright, Denys Morten
Chester Zoo
Chiltern Orchid Society                                                                                     Betty Barber
Cotswold Orchid Society                                                                                     Janet Newson
Cumbria Orchid Society                                                                                      Allan Rowntree, Mr A G Britton
Darlington & District Orchid Society                      Chris Barker                                      Jean Barker
Devon Orchid Society                                                                                        Sue Lane
East Midlands Orchid Society                                                                                Max & Celia Hopkinson
Eric Young Orchid Foundation                                                                                Chris Purver
Glasgow Botanic Garden
Hardy Orchid Society                                      Celia and Iain Wright
Harrogate Orchid Society
Hinckley & District Orchid Society
Lea Valley Orchid Society                                 Michael Potter, Neville Dunn
Mid-Sussex Orchid Society
Mid-Wales Orchid Society
North Bucks Orchid Society
North East of England Orchid Society                                                                        Jean Barker
North Hampshire Orchid Society
North of England Orchid Society                           Ken Russell
Orchid Society of Great Britain                                                                             Betty Barber
Pleurothallid Alliance – UK
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
Royal Horticultural Society                                                                                 Johan and Clare Hermans
Scottish Orchid Society                                   Chris Barker
Sheffield & District Orchid Society                       Richard Baxter                                    Cedric & Silvia Maunder
Solihull & District Orchid Society                        Bill Bond, Anthony Johnston
Somerset, Wiltshire & Dorset Orchid Society
South East Orchid Society                                 David Thurtle
South Wales Orchid Society                                                                                  Alan Gregg
South West Orchid Society                                                                                   Ian Parsons
Southern Counties Orchid Society
Suffolk Orchid Society
Sussex Orchid Group
Thames Valley Orchid Society
Wessex Orchid Society                                                                                       Jonathan Watson
West Cornwall Orchid Society                                                                                Ron and Kit Lindsay
Worcestershire Orchid Society

Changes of Delegates: Rod Wells has replaced Leon Hapgood as representative of Cheltenham Orchid Society

Standing Note from Minutes Secretary -
The names of those recorded as being present are taken from an Attendance List circulated during the Meeting. Apologies are also
taken from the Attendance List or can be emailed in advance to the Minutes Secretary celia.wright@tiscali.co.uk


                                                                   st
                                                  BOC Minutes 1 June 2008                                                             1
2.      Minutes of Ordinary Meeting held on 9th March 2008
Celia apologised for a number of errors, all of which have been corrected on the file copy of the Minutes:
 Misspellings of names – Johan Hermans, Allan Long
 Johan and Clare Hermans represent RHS, not RHS Kew
  The attendance list for the March Ordinary meeting is the attendance list for the preceding AGM as well. It
    has been altered to reflect changed roles both before and after the AGM.

The Minutes were agreed without further amendments and signed by John Spires


3.      Matters Arising not elsewhere on the Agenda

Possible new venue for Council meetings at Great Barr Hotel
John explained that Great Barr is an independently run typical conference hotel. Meeting rooms take 60 people
easily. It will be a 15 minute longer journey for those coming up the M1/M6/M40, probably unchanged for those
coming up the M5 and 15 minutes less for those coming from the north. Travelling time is about 5 minutes from
Junction 7 of the M6. The cost will be £95 for room and £1-95/head for tea/coffee. The current venue and
refreshments are more expensive. John Spires proposed that we should move to Great Barr with provisional
bookings for one year. This was agreed by Council.

Dates of meetings for next year were discussed at this point. It was agreed that meetings will reduce to
three/year starting from now. One Ordinary Meeting will coincide with the AGM in March. There will be
Ordinary Meetings in July and November. This arrangement will start with the next meeting.

Action agreed: John will change the hotel bookings accordingly

New Lecturers Panel Manager
Betty Barber (Chiltern Orchid Society) has agreed to take on this role. Council welcomed her to the team.
Council recorded their thanks to Anne Rutter for all her previous past work on the Lecturers List.

Membership of the Judging Subcommittee
Johan Hermans has written to John Spires and Richard Baxter explaining that David Ridgeway can be elected
to the Judging Subcommittee in October once he has an official assignment.


4.   Correspondence and Secretary’s Report
     Contact – Richard Baxter E-mail - richardandsueb@tiscali.co.uk

Richard Baxter reported receiving the following correspondence -

Steve Manning has raised the issue of whether BOC should make a record of the relatively recent past in
orchid growing in the UK (since the 1950s). At present, important people in the orchid world such as Eric
Young are still remembered. This information could easily be lost as those with the memories become older
and die. He suggested that the Oral Historic Society could be approached to advise BOC about collecting
orchid history verbally.

Discussion and questions followed, though Steve was not present to answer specific points.
      Would this duplicate RHS activity? It was thought that they probably had a different perspective.
      Would anyone want to organise this for BOC? Steve had not volunteered and no-one in the room
       wanted to take on this task.
      What would we do with the output? It was agreed that any output could be disseminated via the BOC
       website, possibly as text plus sound clips

Agreed Actions:
Richard will write to Steve asking if he wishes to take this project forward.
Celia will ask through the minutes for any interested delegates to contact the Secretary, Richard Baxter.


5.     Treasurer's Report
     Contact – Iain Wright       E-mail - iaincwright@tiscali.co.uk


Iain Wright reported –

“Since the last meeting, I have made the following payments –
                                                          st
                                          BOC Minutes 1 June 2008                                           2
                   £6                                        Treasurer’s expenses
                 £142.20                  Web site expenses (including 5 year domain name payment)
                 £188.25                                Venue hire for the March meeting
                 £718.75                            Catering at EYOF Symposium in March
                 £121.44               General expenses at EYOF in March, these last two cheques nearly
                                            covered by the total of £803 received from participants.
                  £50.69                         April postage charges for the Judging Scheme

I have also attempted to pay three years of subscription to EOC at a rate of Euro 35 per year. As I have not yet
had the May bank account I cannot confirm that this payment has been made nor say what the exact cost is but
I have not had any indication of difficulty from our bank. I estimate that this will cost £100.

I have been able to close the Lloyds TSB account though it took two attempts. I can therefore report that we
now have one current account containing £2,523.25 (probably less the EOC’s £100), and one deposit account
containing £24,529.22, a total sum of £27,052.47.

As to future expenses, the only cheque I expect to sign today is for the venue for this meeting, which will be
very similar to the March figure. I also note that the Treasurer and Minutes Secretary have unclaimed
expenses of approximately £49.

Subscription collection is nearly complete, with two Societies and one other organisation still to pay.”


6.   CITES
     Contact - John Spires         E-mail - johnspires@mac.com

John Spires reported

“I have responded to the consultation paper on the new charging regime after receiving input from the
executive committee. The fact is that in no way can this be considered a fair consultation when the decision to
implement the new charges has already been made.
SUN members have complained to the Department for Constitutional Affairs about the flawed consultation
process, which might ruffle a few feathers.
The response is attached to these minutes as an Appendix.

The latest CITES bulletin contains little to interest us.”

John is aware that several African SUN representatives are unhappy with new CITES restrictions on import
which are having the sad side effect of rare birds being used for food when they cannot be exported as
specimens. Could there be similar risks leading to destruction of plants?


7.      Congresses and Weekend Events
       rd
     23 BOC Congress, Devon, 2008
     Contact - Sue Lane   E-mail - rogerandsue@laneroger.wanadoo.co.uk

The following report from Sue Lane was read in her absence.

“23rd BOC Congress, Devon October 2008
Everything is progressing very well. I would remind everyone that the cheaper registration charge ends on the
 st
1 July.
Foreign traders confirmed so far are Sun Moon of Taiwan, Akerne, Stock, Wubben and Rollke.
Lecturers confirmed so far are Phil Seaton, Simon Pugh-Jones, Johan Hermans and Henry Oakeley.
We still have some display space available - small tables.
Could I please ask for the return of the BOC trophies at the next meeting.

24th BOC Congress, Peterborough 20l0
At this early stage the committee are well on top of preliminary arrangements.”

Agreed Action: Celia will let Sue know that with the changed date of the next meeting to November that this will
be too late to get trophies back and that she will have to contact holders and make different arrangements.

8.      Sub-Committee Reports
                                                             st
                                            BOC Minutes 1 June 2008                                              3
    a. Judging Sub-Committee
    Contacts - Clare & Johan Hermans     E-mail - jhermans@museumoflondon.org.uk

Johan and Clare Hermans sent their apologies. This report was read on their behalf.

“New Trainees:
Chris Bulpit OSGB mentored by Jo Kelleher
Stephen Pask will be mentored by Max Hopkinson.
Malcolm White of the Harrogate OS mentored by John Gay

Future events
 There will be a one-day symposium on Sunday 15 June at the Peterborough International Orchid Show, at
                                                    th

   the East of England County Show.
 There will be BOC judging at the next BOC Congress at Dawlish Warren on 24-26 October 2008, hosted by
   the Devon Orchid Society.
 A one-day Symposium is planned for the 2009 London Orchid Show. Details about future events will be
   circulated to members of the judging scheme in due course.”


    b. Congress Sub-Committee
    Contact - Sue Lane           E-mail - rogerandsue@laneroger.wanadoo.co.uk
The following report from Sue Lane was read in her absence.

“There is nothing to add except we are looking for the host of the next congress - possibly in Autumn 2011 or
Spring 2012.”

    c. Communications Sub-Committee
    Contact - Ian Parsons E-mail - ian.parsons@virgin.net

The following report from Ian Parsons was read in his absence. He wishes to thank all the people who have
helped with testing the database.

“BOC Database
The new BOC Database is now at the test stage, and will be released shortly. A proposal for the release is
tabled separately, with a draft letter/email to each Member organization (Member) of the BOC.

The Database is to be used for the first time this year for the compilation of the entries for the Grower’s and
Buyer’s Guide; these include the Members’ information and the Diary of Events.

Every Member will have to appoint a Web Contact who should contact me for a password that is unique.

Every Member will be responsible for keeping their information updated in the Database.

As information for the Guide will be extracted from the Database automatically, there will be no excuse for
information being out of date.

Ultimately, the Database access will be integrated in to the main BOC Web Site.

BOC and related Web Sites
Graham Smith continues to keep the following web sites up to date, including the BOC site with the latest Diary
of Events. The Diary will be held in the Database, and will be accessible from the main web site. After the
release of the Database, the Diary will be updated by the Members, and not by Graham. The web site is
www.british-orchid-council.info

The web site for the OSG is now www.orchidconservation.org/OSG/

The web site for Orchid Conservation International is at www.orchidconservation.org

Yet another of Graham’s projects is the web site for the World Orchid Conference Trust (responsible for the
World Orchid Congresses). This web site can be found at www.woctrust.com

Newsletter
Some contributions have been received for the Newsletter, and this will be published to coincide with the
release of the Database. Any contributions would be most welcome.”
                                                         st
                                          BOC Minutes 1 June 2008                                                 4
A Proposal from Ian was then circulated to those present, the text of which was as follows –

“BOC Database Release
The new BOC Database is now at the test stage, and it is proposed that it should be released shortly (some
time in early June).

As the Database is to be used for the compilation of the entries for the Grower’s and Buyer’s Guide, it
necessary for each Member to be contacted very soon.

It is requested that the following is sent to each Member, subject to the approval of the meeting.

Dear Member (send to Secretaries, Delegates etc.)

The BOC Information Database is being released for general use.

As a Member organization of the BOC, you are required to appoint a Web Contact whose task is to ensure that
the information relevant to your organization is kept updated in the Database.

The Web Contact should email Ian Parsons at ian.parsons@virgin.net stating the name of the Member
organization, and requesting a password. This will be returned by email.

Every Member will be responsible for keeping their information updated in the Database.

Information for the Guide will be extracted from the Database automatically, and it is the responsibility of the
Member organization to keep the information up to date. If your information is not updated in the Database,
then there is no guarantee that it will be published in the next edition of the Guide.

Having gained access to the Database via a login web page, the Web Contact will have access to the
Member’s data, and documentation to help with the use of the Database.

Ultimately, the Database login access will be integrated in to the main BOC Web Site.
Diary of Events, Programme of Meetings and Public Information about each Member is contained in the
Database, and this will be accessible via the BOC Web Site by the general public.
Please ensure that this letter is acted upon with haste, as the compilation of the new Guide will start at the end
of June 2008 using data from the Database.

Yours sincerely, Ian Parsons, Communications Coordinator, BOC

The web site of the BOC is www.british-orchid-council.info”

Discussion followed. The implementation of the database was generally welcomed and Ian’s proposal was
accepted. There was some concern that member organisations would not have time to choose someone as
their Web Contact before their next committee meeting. It was suggested that member organisations could
nominate someone on an “acting” basis immediately and change this if they wished after their committee had
discussed the matter. It was thought that the letter should be sent primarily to the contact person for each
organisation, whose details appear on the BOC website. Copies could be sent to each organisation’s
representatives on Council. Minor alterations to the letter Ian wishes to send out were agreed.
Agreed actions:
 Celia will contact Ian immediately concerning the changes to the letter. The altered version is appended to
  these Minutes.
 All representatives present at the meeting or on receipt of these Minutes are asked to raise this issue
  URGENTLY with their organisations. The target date for Ian to have Web Contact details for every member
  organisation is the end of June.

Growers and Buyers Guide (The Golden Guide

Peter White reported that plans for this are coming together. The cut off date for information to be added to
database for inclusion in the Golden Guide will be 5th July.
                                     th
Action agreed: The cut off date of 5 July will be added to the letter Ian sends out to member organisations.


    d. Lecturers’ Panel
                                                         st
                                          BOC Minutes 1 June 2008                                                  5
    Contact – Betty Barber       E-mail - betty.barber@gmail.com

Betty Barber was unable to attend the meeting but reported that she is currently updating the list. Some price
increases are to be expected in view of the rising costs of petrol and diesel.


    e. Slide Collection
    Contact - Tina Stagg         E-mail - tinastagg@dsl.pipex.com

No report.

    f.  Conservation
    Contact - John Spires        E-mail - johnspires@mac.com

Nothing to report, but I think it might be valuable to discuss how we might become involved in a practical way in
supporting conservation projects. I invite delegates to let us have their views.

Action agreed:
Celia to place this item on the agenda for discussion at the next meeting.

    9.    Any Other Business

    a. Joyce Stewart sent a report on EOC matters that was read to the meeting –

“I attended the AGM of the EOC held in Budapest in April. It was a short meeting, but there was a lovely show
organised by the Magyar Orchid Society. (NB Normally it is the Chairman of BOC who attends EOC meetings,
but I am an Honorary member of EOC, so I am reporting to you on the meeting in Budapest which I attended.)

Prof. Franco Bruno (EOC Secretary) reported that there is a new web site at www.europeanorchidcouncil.eu
He asked me to contact Graham Smith and Ian Parsons (which I have done) to delete the EOC web site that
they have started. Please insert the new web site address wherever it is mentioned.

EOC now has 23 members. The next Congress will be in Dresden in September 2009, followed by one in
Budapest in 2012, probably in April.

There will be a Summer meeting of European orchid society Presidents in Germany at the last weekend in
June (not quite the same as an EOC meeting). I shall attend to represent BOC.”

    b.    Michael Potter (Lea Valley OS) reported that he has the BOC banner borrowed for their orchid show
          last week. Any society who wishes to borrow it should contact Lea Valley via the email address -
          neville.dunn@btinternet.com Peter White said that BOGA also had banners that could be borrowed.

    c. Iain Wright raised the possibility that BOC could try to make a record of which orchid hybrids are
    currently being grown in the UK. This would be a parallel to the database being planned by NCCPG for
    garden plants. Discussion on this matter led Council to conclude that this activity was carried out
    elsewhere, so BOC should not be involved.

    10.                     Dates and venue for future meetings
          nd
Sunday 2 November 2008 at 1.45pm – Ordinary Meeting, to be held at the Great Barr Hotel. Directions to
the hotel will be sent with the Agenda.
          st
Sunday 1 March 2009 - AGM and Ordinary Meeting
          th
Sunday 5 July 2009 – Ordinary Meeting
          st
Sunday 1 November 2009 – Ordinary Meeting

There being no further business, the Meeting was declared closed at 3.10pm.

Minutes Secretary:    Celia Wright
                      The Windmill, Vennington, Westbury, Shrewsbury SY5 9RG
                      Tel:     01743 884576
                      E-mail: celia.wright@tiscali.co.uk




                                                        st
                                          BOC Minutes 1 June 2008                                               6
Appendix 1
Text of letter sent by John Spires re CITES , May 2008


                                  BRITISH ORCHID COUNCIL
                     THE BRITISH ORCHID SOCIETIES AND ASSOCIATIONS
                             http:/www.british-orchid-council.info

                  Chairman: John Spires, 30 Idonia Road, Perton, Wolverhampton, WV6 7NQ
                           Tel: 01902 759640         e-mail: johnspires@mac.com

               SOME RESPONSES TO THE CITES CHARGING CONSULTATION
The inevitable result of the massive increase in charges will be a transfer of trade to those EU countries which
adopt a different attitude to regulation and cost recovery, indeed we can see that this is already happening.

If, as a result of the above, application numbers fall and unit cost per application therefore increases, will this
result in a further increase, or in staffing reductions at DEFRA?

The increased charges will make illegal trade more tempting; this can of course have a negative impact on
conservation efforts as wild collection in countries of origin will become more profitable.

The proposals may also be considered inequitable. Commercial importers who import many plants of one type
pay less per plant than an amateur who imports only a small number of each species. Thus their proposals are
not equitable, penalising disproportionately the small trader and the individual. Labour is meant to be hot on
equality, so you could try to push this button.

DEFRA's logic seems to be fundamentally skewed:

    Table 1 shows the changes proposed
    Table 2 shows the sectors involved
    Table 3 stabs at SOME risks
    Table 4 shows volumes of applications per type of import.

    What DEFRA is trying to do is to recover costs from all types based on the same criteria. Rather like
    comparing potatoes with carnations.
    If the approach were to be changed so that they tackled each import type (table 4) for cost recovery
    INDIVIDUALLY rather than one fee fits all, they would likely find their sums extrapolate rather differently.
    That may, or may not, advantage orchids - but that is not the issue.
    In effect, what they are telling us at the moment is that DEFRA requires, retains and uses precisely the
    same resources (expertise, technical, and human) to process the 2065 Leather goods applications per
    year as it does the 53 Taxidermy applications. Firstly, the expertise necessary to examine leather goods
    EFFECTIVELY at the point of import will be very different from examining dead animals for taxidermy;
    technical/scientific tests will be different, and the number of human resources needed will be very different
    bearing in mind the vast variation of applications. That assumption surely has to be flawed, unless, of
    course, they use the same resources inefficiently, do no real "examination/validation", and throughput is
    the same paper shifting exercise for everything - i.e one waits one's turn in line.

    Combining all these issues makes their Table 3 (risks) meaningless.

If plants come to the UK from outside the EU they are checked for plant health and pest control. Plants coming
from within the EU are not checked by UK inspectors. An increase in the number of plants coming in via other
member states could mean more plants could arrive in the UK with viruses which are undetected if controls in
other member states are not so proficient. The potential for increased illegal trade mentioned above also has
implications for disease transmission, in particular in smuggled animals and plants which would not be subject
to inspection at the border." Perhaps UK should come into line with other EU Countries on this - after all we
have done so on many other EU directives.

How can this exercise be considered a consultation when the outcome is already decided and the main
principle on which it is based is not up for discussion?




                                                          st
                                           BOC Minutes 1 June 2008                                                    7
Appendix 2
   Altered version of letter to be sent by Ian Parsons concerning the appointment of Web
                             Contacts from Member Organisations


Dear ***** (send to Contact, copies to Delegates etc.)

The BOC Information Database is being released for general use.

As a Member Organization of the BOC, you are required to appoint a Web Contact whose task is to ensure that
the information relevant to your organization is kept updated in the Database. A Member Organisation can
choose an “Acting” Web Contact now if they prefer, and change or confirm the name later (maybe after a
committee meeting), but a name is needed very soon.

The Web Contact should email Ian Parsons at ian.parsons@virgin.net stating the name of the Member
Organization, and requesting a password. This will be returned by email.

Every Member Organisation will be responsible for keeping their own information updated in the
Database.

Information for the Golden Guide will be extracted from the Database automatically. For the next edition of the
                             th
Guide, this will be done on 5 July 2008, so all information must be entered correctly by then. If your
information is not updated on time in the Database, then there is no guarantee that it will be published in the
next edition of the Guide.

Having gained access to the Database via a login web page, the Web Contact will have access to the Member
Organisation’s data, and documentation to help with the use of the Database. The Web Contact must have
email and Internet access, but does not need great computer expertise to enter and change information.

Ultimately, the Database login access will be integrated into the main BOC Web Site.

Diary of Events, Programme of Meetings and Public Information about each Member Organisation is contained
in the Database, and this will be accessible via the BOC Web Site by the general public.

Please ensure that this letter is acted upon with haste, as we really need Web Contacts for all our Member
Organisations sorted out by the end of June 2008 as the compilation of the new Guide will take information
                             th
from the database on July 5 .

If you have any queries, you can contact me at ian.parsons@virgin.net or telephone me on 01934 862095.

Yours sincerely



Ian Parsons
Communications Coordinator, BOC

The web site of the BOC is www.british-orchid-council.info




                                                         st
                                         BOC Minutes 1 June 2008                                              8

				
DOCUMENT INFO