CERRO GORDO COUNTY REPUBLICAN PARTY
PROPOSED 2008 PLATFORM
27 February 2008
1. We believe that the proper function of government is to provide citizens with only those
services which citizens cannot provide for themselves at all or as well.
2. We believe that the most effective government is that closest to its citizens.
3. We believe that good government of free enterprise and the encouragement of individual
initiatives have given this nation an economic system second to none.
4. We believe that the basis of a vibrant economy is sound fiscal principles, including low
taxes, modest interest rates, and balanced Federal and State budgets.
5. We believe that every individual deserves the equal opportunities as far as they can be
6. We believe that our society should be based upon the principles articulated by our
founding fathers and bequeathed to us through the valiant efforts of subsequent
generations and that those principles should guide the thoughtful changes necessary to
meet the challenging circumstances of our times.
7. We believe that Americans should value and take pride in our national strength and yet
be willing to pursue peace and freedom throughout the world.
8. We believe that our foreign policy should be based upon a clear and limited identification
of our national interest, the obligations incurred in a limited number of alliances, and
effective humanitarian aid.
9. We believe that the purpose of education, broadly speaking, is to create young adults who
are morally upright and self-reliant.
10. We believe that all levels of government should reduce their intrusion into the private
lives of citizens in accord with the Bill of Rights.
Cerro Gordo County Republicans 1
Agriculture and Land Use
1. We believe that the State needs to distinguish between livestock factories and family
farms so that legislation appropriate to each may be fairly enacted.
2. We believe that the State should promulgate standards and regulations on how large-scale
livestock factories operate and should use local input in determining allowable site
3. We favor fee assessments on large-scale livestock operations in order to support the cost
of the enforcement of regulations of such operations.
4. We believe that family farms with small to middle-sized livestock operations should be
exempt from fee assessments on their operations.
5. We support safe separation distances between new livestock facilities and existing
homes, businesses, and environmentally sensitive areas.
6. We support livestock legislation and regulation based upon sound science and the ethical
treatment of animals.
7. We support tax incentives for producers of ethanol, soy diesel, and other biomass fuels.
8. We support the growth of organic farming and animal husbandry.
9. We support measures designed to protect farmland from government created urban
sprawl, encroachment by highways, and other development pressures.
10. We support measures designed to encourage developmental and redevelopment within
cities and towns.
The Economy, Spending, and Taxes
1. We support the elimination of the Federal marriage tax penalty.
2. We believe that the current income tax system should be replaced by a flat income tax or
a national sales tax, such as the “Fair Tax”.
3. We believe that the IRS should be eliminated if possible, but at least should bear the
same legal burdens of proof required of citizens, institutions, and businesses.
4. We urge the elimination of the inheritance tax at all levels of government.
5. We believe that all taxes on pensions should be eliminated or reduced.
6. We believe that all levels of government should reduce their intrusion into the private
lives of citizens in accord with the Bill of Rights.
Cerro Gordo County Republicans 2
7. We support an annually balanced budget at both the State and Federal level.
8. We support a reduction in both State and Federal income tax rates consistent with sound
economic policy and a balanced budget.
9. We support the complete abolition of earmarks in Federal spending.
10. We oppose forgiving the debts of foreign countries without offsetting economic or
11. We support spending constraint, need prioritization, restraining entitlement growth,
reducing discretionary spending, and reducing the bureaucracy.
12. We encourage the availability of personal savings accounts (PSA’s) as an alternative to
13. We support the continuation of both the 2001 and 2003 Federal income tax cuts.
14. We request the establishment of a commission similar to the previous Grace Commission
to foster and monitor fiscal responsibility.
15. We strongly support measures that would keep U.S. businesses in the United States and
that would encourage foreign enterprises to move to our country.
1. We oppose any law or regulation which restricts the freedom of speech and the right of
citizens groups to communicate about what legislators, bureaucrats, or elected officials
are doing on issues, including alerting citizens to upcoming votes.
2. Contributions to the Republican National Committee, the Nation Republican Senatorial
Committee, and the National Republican Congressional Committee should not be spent
for the purpose of defeating Republications in primary elections. We insist that all
Republican national organizations stay out of primary elections in all states.
3. Lobbyist groups, corporations, businesses, and think tanks should be forbidden to make
campaign contributions of any sort; that is, the only allowable campaign contributions
should be those made by individuals with their own money.
1. We support the idea of school choice and competition through educational vouchers or
education tax credits to assist parents of exercise their option of choosing public, private,
home school, or other educational alternatives for their children.
2. We support reciting the Pledge of Allegiance daily in all public schools.
Cerro Gordo County Republicans 3
3. We support local control of public schools and the minimal involvement of State and
4. We believe that voluntary individual or group prayer in public schools should be at the
option of each school and that all school facilities should be made available to religious
and non-religious groups equally.
5. We support writing about God and religion generally in essays in public schools.
6. We support strong, viable community colleges throughout the State.
7. We oppose teaching that homosexuality is an acceptable life-style.
Energy and the Environment
1. We support the exploration and drilling for oil in Anwar, Alaska and other protected
regions in an ecologically sound manner.
2. We encourage a national energy policy that focuses on alternative and renewable
resources of energy and the reduction of our dependence on foreign oil.
3. We support State tax incentives for the development and use of alternative or renewable
energy sources and mass transit in Iowa.
4. We support tax credits for purchasers of alternative or renewable energy and hybrid or
alternative fuel cars and trucks.
1. We support reasonable term limitations for all elected government officials.
2. We believe that the idea of regional governments should be rejected and that county
identity should be maintained.
3. We affirm that burning or otherwise desecrating the American or State flag is not
Constitutionally protected free speech and should be punished accordingly.
4. We oppose the involvement of the State in any form of gambling.
5. We request that the State legislature require a true and full economic and social study be
made to show the real costs lotteries, casinos, or other legalized gambling has had upon
families, businesses, and government.
6. We support Sunset Laws that provide for government programs to automatically expire at
a set date.
Cerro Gordo County Republicans 4
7. We affirm states’ rights as granted by the 10th amendment of the United States
8. We oppose unfunded government mandates from Federal or State levels to State or local
levels of government.
9. We oppose the undue influence of lobbyists, corporations, and unions in both campaign
financing and legislative activities.
1. We believe that our borders should be secure from illegal aliens.
2. We believe that all Constitutional means of surveillance should be employed to detect
terrorist plots against our country.
3. We believe that illegal aliens who commit crimes in our country should be deported
4. We believe that all illegal aliens should be fined, return to their country of origin and
only then apply for re-entry into our country.
Family and Civil Rights
1. We favor improvement, strengthening, and simplifications of adoption laws and support
the current law which denies adoption by homosexuals.
2. We oppose the legal recognition of same-sex marriage and recommend the passage of a
Constitutional amendment declaring marriage as a union of a man and woman.
3. We support parental rights and oppose the recognition of the United Nations Treaty on
the Rights of the Child.
4. We believe that traditional, two-parent (one male and one female) families are the
foundation of a stable, enduring, and healthy civilization. Therefore, public policy should
always be pro-family in nature, encouraging marital and family commitment and
supportive of parental rights and responsibilities.
Labor and Business
1. We support legislation to expand the list of beverage containers which are covered under
Iowa’s Bottle Bill (Iowa Code Chapter 455C) to include tea, water, fruit or vegetable
drinks, sports drinks, and other non-carbonated drinks, excluding milk. We also support
increasing the handling fee paid to those who provide redemption services from one cent
to two cents per container.
Cerro Gordo County Republicans 5
2. We support raising the bottle redemption amount to ten cents per container.
3. We oppose the undue burden placed on private individuals and businesses in defending
themselves from the laws and regulations of the government and its agencies.
4. We oppose the undue cost placed upon individuals and businesses to comply with the
manifold laws and regulations placed on them.
5. We support restructuring the bankruptcy laws to make filing for bankruptcy more
difficult and to encourage debt restructuring.
Justice and Law Enforcement
1. We believe that the only function of the Judicial Branch is to uphold the law not to make
2. We urge stronger laws and stricter enforcement of anti-drug laws, longer prison terms
without parole for those convicted of drug dealing, and reducing the demand for illegal
drugs through education, rehabilitation, and strict and certain penalties.
3. We reaffirm the Second Amendment right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms
and support the increased enforcement of existing laws.
4. We support the passing and implementation of the death penalty in Iowa.
5. We believe that all judges should make their decisions in strict accordance with the
Constitution, either State or Federal, and should not utilize either international or foreign
law in their decisions.
1. We commend our leaders for their outstanding efforts in the war on terrorists, their
efforts to strengthen our nation defense and security, and for igniting a renewal of unity
and love for country.
2. We commend the brave men and women of our armed services for their willingness to
put themselves in harm’s way, risking both injury and life itself, to defend the liberties
and freedoms we so much enjoy.
3. We believe in a strong national defense and that our military should be properly funded,
trained, and equipped.
4. We believe that U.S. troops should not be stationed in countries which are fully capable
of acting in their own defense; our troops should only be used to defend our direct
interests or imminent threat to our allies.
Cerro Gordo County Republicans 6
5. In order to provide the most effective and efficient national defense, we believe that all
branches of the armed services should develop and use the same weaponry and support
equipment for the same function.
Right to Life
1. We firmly believe that the unborn child, the infirm, and the elderly have a fundamental
God-given right to life, which may not be infringed upon. We therefore reaffirm out
support for adding protection for unborn children to the 14th Amendment of the U.S.
2. We oppose the use of public funds for abortion, and call for the elimination of
government funding for organizations such as Planned Parenthood, which advocate or
3. We commend the efforts of those individuals and religious or private organizations that
provide positive alternatives to abortions by meeting the physical, emotional, and
financial needs of pregnant women.
4. We reaffirm our support for the appointment of judges who respect who respect
traditional family values and sanctity of innocent human life.
5. We strongly oppose partial birth abortions and encourage laws to abolish them.
6. We oppose using public revenues or taxes for abortion or to fund organizations that
7. We oppose the State of Iowa giving any of our tax dollars to Planned Parenthood for any
8. We oppose both euthanasia and assisted suicide.
9. We are strongly opposed to the cloning of human beings.
1. We believe that all legal residents of the United States should be eligible for medical
savings accounts and that all funds placed in such accounts should be credited against the
participant’s Medicare tax obligation.
2. We support outlawing research or commercial use utilizing any fetal tissue, including
stem cells, from either induced abortions or live births.
3. We support increased research on cancer prevention, treatment, and access to care.
Cerro Gordo County Republicans 7
4. Believing in the right and responsibility of individuals to direct their own healthcare, we
recommend support for preventative and ameliorative care in the form of such things as
tax incentives for insurance companies to switch their coverage towards preventative care
and by eliminating the sales tax on vitamins and supplements.
5. We believe that the provision of medical care is a private, not public, service. Therefore
we strongly oppose the adoption of a socialized health care system and favor private
sector plans, such as tax-exempt health savings accounts.
6. We support the use of tax incentives to increase the availability of organic, locally grown
foods and to reduce the amount of unhealthy additives and substances in our foods.
7. Recognizing that our health is very much affected by the environment, we support using
tax incentives to reduce the pollution or our air, water, and soil.
8. We reaffirm our support for the elimination of roadside advertising signs.
Cerro Gordo County Republicans 8