Purpose: The school nurse helps students attain an optimum level of
physical social and emotional health. In order to coordinate a
comprehensive student health program, the school nurse must
work closely with the staff and administration of USD 260
Responsible to: Principal and the Director of Student Services
Salary: Annual Contract
Date: October 1996
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. Current Kansas Board of Nursing License (Registered Nurse).
3. Diploma, A.D. or BSN in nursing.
4. CPR certified.
5. One-year experience as registered nurse.
6. Certified in Audi logical screening (willing to secure certificate after hiring).
1. Help students attain an optimum level of physical, social and emotional health.
2. Establish and maintain a comprehensive health program for students and employees of
the school district.
3. Ensure all activities conform to school district guidelines.
4. Communicate effectively with all members of the school district.
5. Work effectively with community organizations.
6. React to change productively and handle other tasks as assigned.
7. Appropriately operate all equipment as required.
8. Support the value of an education.
6. Support the philosophy and mission of the school district.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
1. Requires prolonged sitting or standing.
2. Occasional requires physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull or push heavy
objects or materials.
3. Occasional stooping, bending and reaching.
4. Requires some travel.
5. Must work indoors and outdoors year-round.
6. Must work in noisy and crowded environments.
1. Establish and maintain a comprehensive health program for students and employees of
the school district.
2. Conduct student health appraisals including:
a. Nursing assessments.
b. Vision screenings.
c. Hearing screenings.
d. Weighing and measuring.
e. Follow-up of problems noted.
f. Consultation with teachers and parents regarding health problems.
3. Coordinate a program of communicable disease control based on Kansas’s
immunization laws to include:
a. Maintaining immunization records for each student.
b. Communicating with parents regarding immunization requirements.
4. Coordinate a comprehensive program of caring for students who are injured or who
become ill at school.
5. Provide faculty and staff with first-aid training and supplies as appropriate or as
6. Provide emergency care for accidents and sudden illness of pupils until parents assume
7. Notify parents and building administrators regarding children who are severely ill or
8. Report school accidents to the Director of Operations.
9. Enforce and monitor medication guidelines.
10. Coordinate and supervise a comprehensive program of dental health education.
11. Encourage parents to provide their children with annual dental check-ups.
12. Request assistance for dentally indigent children.
13. Coordinate and supervise a comprehensive program of health education.
14. Encourage periodic health examinations for all children.
15. Confer with parents and community agencies concerning the health of children
following confidentially guidelines.
16. Assist in planning health curriculum and instructional materials.
17. Counsel with teachers, students and parents concerning children’s individual health
18. Demonstrate awareness of the needs of students and provide for individual
19. Assist in referral and planning programs for exceptional children.
20. Assist students in developing feelings of self-worth and in making social adjustments
that permit them to cope with disabilities.
21. Maintain a cumulative health record for each student, recording all data pertinent to
the child’s health.
22. Submit accurate and timely reports as required by various health agencies.
23. Immediately report to the director any safety hazards or unsanitary conditions
observed in the school environment.
24. Order and maintain all supplies for the health service program.
25. Supervise staff members as assigned.
26. See that school district policies are observed during all activities.
27. Obtain advance approval for all special activities and expenditures.
28. Keep abreast of new information, innovative ideas and techniques.
29. Adhere to all district health and safety policies including all precautions of the
Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan.
30. Other duties as assigned by the Director of Human Resources.
31. Demonstrate the ability to apply the components necessary for mental health
32. Delegate nursing tasks as approved by State Board of Nursing to include teaching,
supervising, documentation and care plans.
33. Other duties as assigned by the principal and the Assistant Superintendent for Human
Resources which are consistent with the general requirements and qualifications for