Services for People with a Sensory Impairment

Document Sample
Services for People with a Sensory Impairment Powered By Docstoc
					Services for People with a Sensory

Adult Social Services

Norfolk County Council provides support and
equipment for people who are experiencing
difficulties with communication and daily living
because of their sensory disability.
Can we help?

To find out if we can help, we first have to assess
your needs. We do have to prioritise and not
everyone who asks for help can be given a service
direct from us.

If you are not eligible for a service, we will try and
put you touch with organisations who may be able
to help you.

Who Will Assess Your Needs?

Your assessment will be carried out by one of our
five specialist teams, based in Adult Social
Services. A description of each of the teams and
how they help people is explained later in this

Is There A Charge?

There is no charge for an assessment. The
equipment that we may be able to provide you is
given on a loan basis. Charges are made for some
services that you may need. If you need a service
that you have to pay for, the person who completes
your assessment will explain this to you.

What is the Sensory Support Unit?

Norfolk County Council Sensory Support Unit has
several teams that support people with hearing and
visual impairments.
The help can be specifically related to a person’s
sensory loss, or to help people access other social
care provision that use sign or deafblind languages
to communicate.

The unit is a part of Adult Social Services but also
works with children where there are essential daily
living needs that require help from a social worker,
rehabilitation worker or technical officer.

Children’s Services have their own sensory support
unit to assist with matters relating to children’s

Teams in the Sensory Support Unit

Social Workers for Deaf People

People who communicate by sign language can be
provided with a social worker who can talk to you in
an appropriate communication method for your
sensory needs.

A social worker may provide you with a
communication support worker who can support
you and help others to understand your
communication needs.

A social worker for deaf people will provide exactly
the same service as any other social worker but will
conduct the assessment using sign language.
Social Workers for people with a Visual Impairment

Social workers from the sensory support unit visit
people who have been given a Certificate of Visual
Impairment (CVI) from an ophthalmologist. An
ophthalmologist is a consultant based in a hospital
who has diagnosed an eye condition that will have a
permanent effect on someone’s ability to see.

A social worker will visit you to assess if the level of
sight loss will affect your ability to carry out
essential daily living tasks. The social worker will
help you access the services you need. They will
also register you as being ‘sight impaired / partially
sighted’ or ‘severely sight impaired / blind’.

You do not have to be registered but it may help
you access other benefits.

Rehabilitation Workers for Visually Impaired People

Rehabilitation officers work with people who have a
visual impairment or who are blind.

They try and maximise independence by providing
equipment or training so you are safe inside and
outside your home. They can teach you to carry out
domestic tasks safely such as cooking or food
preparation, even if you have little or no sight. They
can provide mobility training to help you access
local shops or leisure pursuits. They also provide
advice and training with specialist technology and
The main duties of rehabilitation workers are to help
you maximise the use of the vision you have

Services for Deafblind People

Very few people have no sight or hearing. But lots
of people have some sight and hearing loss.
Our sight and hearing also deteriorate as we get
older and this affects all our communication
methods. Having a dual sensory loss can lead to
social isolation and depression.

The sensory support unit has a social worker who
can communicate using the deafblind manual or
other methods, where a person’s dual sensory loss
affects their essential daily living needs.

The social worker may be able to access services,
following an assessment, to help provide social
stimulation or to keep you safe.

We also have Communicator Guides who provide
support at people’s homes and in the community.
The role of the communicator guide is to promote
independence and remove feelings of isolation.

Technical Resource Officers for Deaf and Hard of
Hearing People (TROD)

Our technical resource officer can provide
equipment to deaf and hard of hearing people to
assist with communication, maintain independence
and reduce social isolation.

There is a wide range of flashing and vibrating
equipment and loop systems to enable people to
communicate and feel safe in their own homes.

Technical officers hold drop-in clinics across the
county and visit people in their home.

They can be also contacted by phone, email or text
phone and can give advice or direct you to where
you can buy equipment if you do not want an

There is a more detailed leaflet available called
‘Equipment for People with Hearing Impairments’
available in hospitals, Norfolk County Council
council Information Centres, libraries and social
care offices.

Sensory Support Unit
Vantage House Level 2
Fisher’s Lane

Getting in touch

Contact us on 0344 800 8014
  For social care information and advice
  To find out about the support we can provide
  To access services
    For leaflets - plus large print, tape, Braille and
    For urgent help at anytime - not just office
Or email using our Contact Form
Text phone 01603 763585 fax 01603 762445 or
For social care information visit
- click on health and social care.

Visit our Council Information Centres for leaflets,
information and advice:

Aylsham Library            Mon, Tue, Th, Fri 9-5pm
Diss Town Council          Mon, Wed, Th, Fri 9.30-4
                           Tue 9.30-3pm
Downham Market             Mon-Th 8.45-5.15pm,
Priory Centre (next to     Fri 8.45-4.45pm, Sat 9-
library)                   12pm
Fakenham Connect           Mon-Th 8.30-5pm.
(behind library)           Fri 8.30-4.30pm
Gorleston Library          Mon-Fri 9-5pm. Sat 9-4pm
Norwich Millennium         Mon-Sat 9-5pm
Wroxham Library            Mon-Fri 10-5.30pm

Norfolk County Council
Norfolk Care Connect
Children’s and Adult Social Services
PO Box 3120
Norwich NR7 7AB

Shared By:
Description: Services for People with a Sensory Impairment