MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF OTHAM PARISH COUNCIL by fionan

VIEWS: 5 PAGES: 4

									       MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF OTHAM PARISH COUNCIL
            HELD ON MONDAY 19 MAY 2008 AT 7.45 P.M.
                     IN THE VILLAGE HALL

PRESENT: Cllrs Thompson (Chairman); Leeds (Vice Chairman); Middleton;
Bottle; Marchant; Palmer-Pilgrim; Mrs Irving (Clerk); PCSO James Stevens (part).

1.   APOLOGIES: Cllrs Page and Gwinnett - attending PCC Meeting, Miss Kelly
     Russell.

2.   DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – None.

3.   COUNCILLOR VACANCY/CO-OPTION OF COUNCILLOR – Due to an
     unforeseeable change in Mr. Brinsley’s work circumstances, he has regrettably
     resigned from the Parish Council.
     Miss Kelly Russell has expressed an interest in the vacancy & submitted her CV
     to the Clerk for consideration. Miss Russell’s CV was read to the meeting -
     Clerk to extend invitation to attend next PC Meeting in July.

     Councillors were reminded of the importance of regularly attending meetings.
     Cllr Palmer-Pilgrim to review her position after six months.

4.   POLICE REPORT – No crimes to report.
     PC Stevens to investigate why the arson incident at the BT telephone exchange
     is not on the police computer.

     Problems with nuisance motorbikes are still being monitored (1 motorbike has
     been seized in Downswood).

     A possible suspect has been arrested regarding an incident reported with a black
     scooter with twin headlights.

     Certain youths have been identified as speeding in the village.

     A PACT panel was formed at the meeting held on 25 April. A further meeting
     will be held in July.

     It is hoped to recruit approximately 30 people to form a Neighbourhood Watch
     Group.

     Arrangements for a speed camera in the village are still in hand (this will not
     take place during the school holiday).

5.   ADJOURNMENT FOR QUESTIONS FROM MEMBERS OF THE
     PUBLIC –No members of the public present.

6.   APPROVE & SIGN MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING HELD ON 3
     MARCH 2008. The minutes were agreed as a true and accurate record of
     proceedings & were signed by the Chairman.

                                         -137-
Page 1 of 4
OPC Minutes 19.05.08
7.   URGENT MATTERS.
     Councillor Thompson voiced his concern regarding the equal sharing of
     onerous tasks by councillors. Consideration to be given as to the viability of
     Otham’s critical mass to carry out tasks. If deemed appropriate, mail shot to be
     sent to Otham residents asking for comments on possible merger of Otham
     Parish Council with Downswood Parish Council. Talks would need to take
     place with Maidstone Borough Council/DPC. Matter to be discussed
     further at next meeting on 7 July with all councillors present

8.   KENT INTERNATIONAL GATEWAY.
     Cllrs were not able to attend meeting of 07/05/08Cllrs Middleton & Thompson
     to liaise to consider minutes when circulated - Clerk to request an early copy.
     (Previous meeting of 18/03/08 was attended and minutes have been circulated).

9.   LOCAL DEVELOPMENT FRAMEWORK - Cllr Marchant is now back on
     the committee. No further developments to report.

10. VILLAGE GREEN/PLAY AREA
    The goal post bracket is still not in place. Clerk to enquire whether two new
    brackets can be purchased to hold the nets.
    Stephen Waring has quoted between £185.00 to £190.00 to spray the Village
    Green with Broadleaf (to include the area between the war memorial, the play
    area and the road). Cllr Middleton proposed acceptance of the quotation,
    seconded by Cllr Marchant. Clerk to request grass is cut two weeks before the
    Village fete and then again in time for the fete.
    Satisfactory resurfacing of the play area has now been carried out by MBS.

11. MATTERS ARISING FROM PREVIOUS MINUTES
11.1 Notice Boards – Peter Hunt has not been in touch with Cllr Leeds as requested
     by the Clerk. Cllr Bottle to make enquiries with the gentleman who made the
     cupboards for the Village Hall.
     The White Horse notice board to have felt applied by Cllr Leeds.
11.2 Website – Cllr Palmer-Pilgrim advised the meeting that she expects to be able
     to bring an example of the work to the June meeting.
     Ragstone – Cllr Thompson, Leeds and Clerk to hold meeting to discuss the
     next issue which will be based on Chairman’s and other APM reports. Cllr
     Leeds to prepare follow up item re. the football club. Cllr Leeds has offered to
     takeover the editing of the newsletter, whilst Cllr Palmer-Pilgrim will be happy
     to put it together.
11.3 Caring Road. The owner has been charged with breaching Article 4 and given
     28 days to comply. Enforcement is reported as checking the field every other
     day.
     Cllr Marchant to liaise with Cllr Page regarding the request for the Parish
     Council to apply for planning permission for a fence and 5 bar gate for the
     whole field. Request to be made for rubbish to be cleared away at the same
     time.
11.4 Hedges. The cutting back which took place in January is reported as very
     poor. Although the hedges now look dreadful, further cutting is not permitted
     as the birds are nesting. Cllr Bottle to check the situation with Defra.
     Cutting back of Kingsland trees is now underway.
                                         -138-

Page 2 of 4
OPC Minutes 19.05.08
11.5 Street Sweeping was carried out satisfactorily last time. Report awaited from
     assistant lengthsman regarding hot spots. Cllrs Page/Middleton and Marchant
met and cleared various rubbish from the middle of the woods.
11.6 Parish Plan. Cllr Thompson met with Thurnham’s Clerk to discuss their Parish
     Plan. It was agreed that two to three people will be required to be totally
     dedicated to the project.
     Ian Garton has agreed to be part of the committee but does not want to be the
     chairman. Cllr Marchant to approach Chris Johnston and Michael Curtis to
     enquire if they would be interested. IG, CJ & MC to be requested to attend a
     meeting with Cllrs Thompson, Leeds and Marchant to discuss the way forward.
11.7 Bus Shelter. Repairs have been carried out to both glazed panels by Glaze-
     Tech Services Ltd. Alliance have settled the insurance claim in the sum of
     £381.36 (deductions of £125.00 excess & £88.61 VAT were made).
11.8 MBC’s ‘Maidstone Favourite Tree’. Cllr Bottle to contact Ken Brinsley to
     enquire how far this has progressed.

12. FINANCE.
12.1 Statement of Account – See attached appendix. Otham Parish Council
     confirms approval of all payments – proposed by Cllr Leeds, seconded Cllr
     Marchant.
12.2 Insurance Renewal. Allianz Insurance has advised there will be a small
     increase of £26.49 from the previous year, making the renewal policy
     £619.66. Cllr Leeds proposed the quotation is accepted, seconded by Cllr Bottle
     & unanimously agreed.
12.3 Membership/Subscriptions. (SLCC/KAPC/ACRK/LAMIS/CPRE). As
     agreed at March’s meeting, renewals have taken place with the exception of
     LAMIS who have ceased trading. Cllrs Middleton & Palmer-Pilgrim to
     investigate whether the data already purchased from LAMIS can be used. It was
     agreed not to purchase further data from an alternative company.
12.4 Audit 2007/08 - Approval & Signing of Return. The accounts were formally
     approved by the council, with the Annual Return signed by the Chairman and
     the Clerk. Mike Subert to carry out internal audit on 20 May to allow
     paperwork to be sent to the Audit Commission by 2nd June.

13.   PLANNING.
      New Applications
      MA/08/0789 – 2, Wardes Bungalow.
      Objection to be lodged with MBC as the plans are still thought to be out of
      proportion (as with the previous application). The bungalow is considered to be
      larger than it should be and still thought to be inappropriate in this setting.

      Granted
      MA/06/1302 - Paynes Stores Ltd
      Change of use and alteration of stone barn/workshop building to form a two
      bedroom unit of holiday accommodation.

      Refused
      MA/08/0381 - Flow House, Caring Lane.
      Change of use of land and erection of stables with 4 No. loose boxes,
      tack room and hay store.
                                         -139-

Page 3 of 4
OPC Minutes 19.05.08
      A Tree Preservation Order has been placed on East Wood & includes some of
      the individual trees on Gore Court Estate. Cllr Marchant to request if the strip of
      woodland to the north can be included in the TPO and request clarification
      regarding the position of West Wood.

14.   BOROUGH COUNCILLOR’S REPORT.
      Public Transport. One of the bus drivers has been reported as not driving
      sensibly in the village.
      Concession in fares has been put back from 09.30 to 09.00
      County bus travel pass to be available at the end of the school year at a cost of
      £50 for children aged 11-16.

      Mr. Wright of Downswood has been appointed to the Standards Committee.

15.   REPORTS OF SEMINARS ATTENDED
      (To be renamed ‘Report of Meetings and Seminars Attended’ in the future).
       Parish Plan – Cllr Thompson

16.   CORRESPONDENCE
       Thank you letter from the Institute Otham for the donation of three tables.
       Maidstone Trust regarding donation for Gurkha tribute statue. Flyers were
        distributed to cllrs to enable them to make their own individual donations.
       Try Angle Awards 2008. The council is unable to assist with donations.
       MBC Concurrent Function Training - Monday 2 June. Cllr Leeds to attend the
        2-4 pm session.
       CPRE AGM to be held on Thursday 5 June at 7.30 pm. Cllr Thompson to
        attend.

17. ADDITIONAL MATTERS TO BE DISCUSSED AT NEXT MEETING -
    Wheelie Bins in Conservation Area.

      DATE OF NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETINGS: Monday 7 July &
      Monday 8 September.

      There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.50 p.m.




                                           -140-
Page 4 of 4
OPC Minutes 19.05.08

								
To top