Learning At Home
We want to ensure parents have every
opportunity to participate in school
And School! activities. Childcare, transportation, or
other necessary accommodations may
be available upon request.
“Year At A Glance”
1. Make school important.
2. Speak positively about
your child’s teachers.
3. Make sure your child goes For a copy of the entire School
to school on time every Improvement Plan contact Mr.
day. Harvey at 301-334-3334. We
4. Answer notes and
welcome any questions or
telephone calls from your comments. A reference to our
child’s teacher. plan can be found through the
Garrett County Board of
5. Encourage reading and Education website at
writing. ga.k12.md.us: click Yough
6. Keep books, magazines,
Glades. This plan was jointly developed with
parents and staff and distributed to all
and newspapers in your
of our families.
7. Take your child to the Yough Glades Elementary
library. 70 Wolf Acres Drive
8. Read with your child. Oakland, MD 21550
9. Discuss what your child
10. Have your child write
notes to family members.
GOAL Family Programs How Can I Be
Yough Glades Elementary School
recognizes the importance of forming a 1. Learning Links-focus on
strong partnership with parents and reading and math activities 1. Attend Back to School Night.
community members in order to Spring 2010 2. Attend school programs and
positively impact the students in our 2. Back-to-School Night pep assemblies.
school. August 2009 3. Read the “Gator Happenings,”
3. Parent/Teacher Conferences Newsletters, and our school sign.
(1st and 2nd Grading Terms) 4. Join the Parent Teacher
Decision Making 4. Family Math Night Group. (P.T.G)
November 2009 5. Get to know your child’s
In April 2010, parents will meet to 5. Judy Center Sponsored teachers by attending
review the school’s parent school Programs-Zoo Babies, conference nights.
compact(s), parent involvement plan, Community Helpers, 6. Be a school volunteer.
and parent involvement budget to make Multicultural, Music 7. Request information in your native
any necessary revisions for the 2010- Enrichment language.
2011 school year. A draft of these 6. Summer Camps for Pre-K
documents will be shared with all through First Grade
parents in October for additional input. August 2010 Did You Know?
7. Character Education Pep
8. Book Fair-November 2009 and The Maryland Parental
Collaborating with February 2010 Resources Information Center
Community 9. Classroom Guest Readers (PIRC) is designed to assist
Monthly parents and educators as they
1. Judy Center Transition Meetings 10. Video snapshot of effective address issues related to family
2. Head Start Classroom at Yough ways to help with homework. involvement and closing the
Glades achievement gap. For more
3. Grade 4 Explorers Club information and resources, visit
4. Flu Mist & H1N1 Vaccines through their website www.mdpirc.org
the Health Department or call their toll-free bilingual
5. Fresh Fruits & Vegetables Program hotline, 1-877-MDPARENTS.
6. Mental Health & Dove Center
Counseling A parental resource section is
7. Garrett Mentors available in our library.
8. Nutrition Activity with Materials may be signed out as
Extension Office needed.
9. Morning exercise with the Health