ORIENTAL SUPER SLAW
(Makes 4 servings)
How to store: 1/3 cup vinegar
• Put in refrigerator. 1/3 cup sugar
• Use within 2 to 3 weeks. 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
How to prepare: 6 cups shredded green cabbage
1. Rinse in cold water and remove any 2 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
wilted leaves. 1 1/2 cups shredded carrot
2. Cut into wedges and then chop or slice. 8 ounces cooked lean beef or chicken, cut
into thin slices
How to cook:
1. Add cut up cabbage to pan with small 1. In a large bowl mix the vinegar, sugar,
amount of boiling water. Do not cover. peanut butter and ginger. Stir until smooth.
Cook about 2 minutes.
2. Cover and cook 3 to 5 minutes more. 2. Add cabbage, carrot and meat. Stir until
well mixed. Serve or cover and refrigerate
How to use: until serving.
• Chop or slice and add to salads or
• Take a leaf of cabbage and spread with APPLES AND CABBAGE
low-fat cream cheese. Roll it up and eat. (Makes 6 servings)
• Mix chopped cabbage with lemon yogurt.
Add canned pineapple and mandarin 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage
oranges if desired. 3 cups thinly sliced apples
• Add chopped or sliced cabbage to canned 1 cup sliced onion
soup and heat. 1/2 cup apple juice or water
• Add cooked cabbage to cooked potatoes. 1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Serving size: 1/2 cup of shredded cabbage Dash pepper
CRISPY APPLE COLESLAW 1. Put cabbage, apples, onion, and juice in
(Makes 6 servings) heavy saucepan or skillet. Cover and cook
over medium heat until slightly tender.
2 cups chopped or shredded cabbage
2 apples, cored and cut up 2. Add vinegar, salt, and pepper. Cook
1 can crushed pineapple, drained about 7 minutes more, adding more apple
1/2 cup fat free or regular mayonnaise juice or water if needed.
1. In a bowl or container, mix cabbage, 3. Serve with cooked ham or bacon, if
apples, and pineapple with mayonnaise. desired.
PAR-Story June 2005
2. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.