Corporate Data Warehouse Project
Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance (MEIA)
August 2005 - Present
• Design, architecture and Quartech was responsible for the implementation of the Ministry's first
successful implementation corporate data warehouse, including the solution, design and architecture.
of MEIA's first corporate To create the data warehouse, Quartech used the Cognos 7.1 toolset to
data warehouse. interface with the Ministry's Oracle database. The implementation of the
• Created the data corporate data warehouse provides MEIA with improved financial reporting
warehouse using the and accounting capabilities.
complete Cognos 7.1
toolset, including: Budget
• Reportnet The budget for the corporate data warehouse project was $495,000 for
• Decisionstream software development. This did not include acquisition of licenses.
• Powerplay Challenges
• As this was the MEIA's first corporate data warehouse, there was
added pressure to ensure the project went smoothly.
Account Manager: • Quartech was responsible for the solution, design, architecture and
Jillian Johnston configuration of the production environment for the data warehouse
Project Manager: implementation.
Wayne Ohman Quartech Services Provided
Team: Quartech provided the following services to the Ministry during the
Full project team, consisting corporate data warehouse project:
of a Project Manager,
a Technical Architect, • Provided the data design for the initial release, including development
a Business Analyst, of data models and data element definitions, maintained in System
Business Intelligence Architect.
Developers, and • Defined and designed data acquisition and transformation rules for
Implementation Support ETL using Decisionstream.
personnel. 9 persons in • Designed, validated, stored and maintained data models and
total. metadata in the corporate metadata dictionary.
• The development team delivered four Powerplay cubes and seven
Reportnet prompted and drill through reports.
• Worked with MEIA to develop a support model for the data
Technologies used for this project:
• Cognos 7.1 Toolset:
• Reportnet (including Query Studio and Report Studio)
• Framework Manager
• Access Manager
• Content Store
• Configuration Manager
• Server Administrator
• Cognos Connection
Quartech Systems Ltd. Page 1 of 2
Corporate Data Warehouse Project
Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance (MEIA) August 2005 - Present
Potential risk areas with the corporate data warehouse project were:
• Mission critical applications, which support highly visible business
areas, require extra consideration and care. The Income Assistance
system, for instance, requires a high standard of work, as even the
smallest error in payment can become front page news. It is essential
that any maintenance or development work performed does not
adversely affect any mission critical applications.
• This was the first data warehouse for MEIA. Risk was also a factor
due to the new processes, technologies and support model.
The corporate data warehouse was successfully implemented for MEIA’s
finance and accounting staff on March 24, 2006. Based on the success of
the initial implementation:
• The data warehouse will be rolled out ministry wide beginning
• Quartech is currently in the process of upgrading the data warehouse
to Cognos Version 8.
The corporate data warehouse provides MEIA with:
• Improved financial reporting and general reconciliation capabilities.
• Improved accounting capabilities.
Additionally, with the addition of the new business intelligence products,
MEIA can further enrich the analysis and reporting capabilities of the work
British Columbia's Ministry of Employment and Income Assistance (MEIA)
provides services that move people toward sustainable employment and
assist individuals and families in need.
In March 2002 MEIA moved to a partnership model for support of its
information technology applications. Quartech works within this
partnership to provide all maintenance and support for Ministry
information technology applications, as well as providing enhancement
and development services.
Quartech Systems Ltd. Page 2 of 2