Minutes of the Undergraduate Staff Student Consultative Committee by dfhrf555fcg

VIEWS: 3 PAGES: 3

									                       QUEEN’S UNIVERSITY BELFAST

                                 SCHOOL OF LAW

Minutes of the Undergraduate Staff Student Consultative Committee Meeting,
held on Wednesday 8 November at 2.00 pm in the School of Law, Room 27.101.

Present               Professor Sharon Turner (Chair)
                      Dr Jack Anderson
                      Dr Graham Ellison
                      Mr Ray Geary
                      Mrs Katie Quinn
                      Mr Keith Vincent
                      Undergraduate Representatives

In Attendance         Miss Danielle McCrory

1. PREVIOUS MINUTES

There were no previous minutes to be confirmed

2. WELCOME FROM THE DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION

Professor Sharon Turner opened the meeting by welcoming the undergraduate student
representatives to the SSCC and introduced the members of staff present for each
pathway to the students. She outlined the purpose and functions of the SSCC
Committee and affirmed that the student representatives were to represent the views
of their peers. Representatives were informed that if they wished anything to be
passed on to their peers on their behalf that they should contact DMcC who would
relay the message on to the student body via email. Professor Turner asked that if a
matter were to arise in relation to a member of staff or a particular student, that the
SSCC representative should contact her first before raising this at a meeting.

3. AGENDA

Students were informed that they would be responsible for generating the agenda for
the SSCC meetings and that they should contact DMcC with any items that they
propose for the agenda.

4. CHAIRPERSON FOR SSCC MEETINGS

ST informed the representatives that it would be up to them to choose who they
wished to chair the meetings and that they should send their nominations for
Chairperson to DMcC before the next meeting on 29 November. For the purpose of
the current meeting, Professor Turner would act as Chair.

5. TOP UP FEES

Student Representative Rebekah Grieve raised the issue of Top Up Fees to the
Committee. She stated that she did not think that £3000 per year fees were justifiable.
ST responded that this was not a matter that the SSCC could resolve and that if the
students still felt very strongly about this then they should contact the Students’
Union. ST also advised that the students’ contact Jerry McCormick, Wilma Fee,
Connie Craig and their compatriots from University of Ulster.

Action

Students’ to keep the SSCC posted on any developments in relation to student fees.

6. INCORPORATING PRESENTATIONS INTO THE
SYLLABUS/CIRRICULUM REVIEW

Student Representative Michael Wall highlighted that the students get little
opportunity to give presentations in tutorials and asked if there would be any way that
this could be looked in to? ST informed the Committee that the School was currently
in the process of undergoing a curriculum review and that the issue of presentations
would be addressed in the review. ST highlighted some of the other areas that were
being addressed by the Curriculum Review Committee such as, Law and Accounting
would be dropped from next year, but that Law and Languages and Law and Politics
would be staying and that the School would be moving toward more innovative
teaching by providing a different, more lively experience for students.

Action

ST to provide an update of the Curriculum Review to the SSCC at the next meeting,
DMcC to include the Curriculum Review on the agenda for the next meeting.

7. ADVERTISING OF OTHER UNIVERSITY DEPARTMENTS/SERVICES
BY LAW SCHOOL STAFF

Michael Wall raised concerns that there was not enough advertising by the School of
the services provided by other departments in the University. He highlighted the
Science Shop as one such example. ST drew the Committees attention to the revised
Student Handbook and questioned if this had helped to meet this need or help to
provide core information? Katherine Bullock believed that the Handbook was useful
in relation to finding out information on lectures etc. ST informed the Committee that
the Handbook would be revised in June and if the representatives had any suggestions
toward the content of the handbook that these should be passed to DMcC via email,
entitling the email ‘Possible changes for Student Handbook’. Claire Bullock as
President of the Students’ Union, offered to send out a student email to make students
aware of the other facilities that they can avail of throughout the University.

Action

Representatives to forward any suggestions for the revision of the Student Handbook
to DMcC.

8. AOB

8.1 Handbook
The representatives confirmed that the new Student Handbook had been well received
by the students’. Claire Bullock attributed this to the fact that it looked more
professional and that this gave it more credibility.

8.2 Student Magazine

The Committee was informed that the Student Law Society was in the process of
composing a Student Magazine which would take the format of a year book and that
this would be out towards the end of 2007. The representatives were asked that if
anyone had anything to contribute to the magazine or if they knew of anyone who had
done anything that would be of interest, that they should contact Joanne Hughes,
Magazine Editor or Claire Bullock, Law Society President. CB asked the
representatives to encourage their peers to get involved and highlighted that this
would be good to put down on their CV’s.

8.3 Buddy System

CB raised concern that a number of first years had not been responding to their
‘Buddy’s’ and that this could be due to a possible technical problem with email
addresses.

Action

CB and DMcC to speak to School Secretary Michelle McDowell regarding the
possibility of a technical fault.

8.4 Debating Society

It was noted that the Debating Society should play a larger part in the Undergraduate
Experience in the next academic year. CB asked for any opinions on the idea of
starting a Cross Border All Ireland Committee Group along with UCD students and
asked if there would be any interest in attending a meeting in March to hear a US
Senator talk.

9. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

The next meeting of the UG SSCC will take place on Wednesday 29 November at
2.00 pm in the School of Law, Room 27.101.

								
To top