For more information visit the website

Document Sample
For more information visit the website Powered By Docstoc
					            Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia

We welcome you to British Columbia. To come here involves costs and time taken to process the paperwork.
Check out the STEPS below and the websites for more information.

                               STEPS TO FOLLOW                                                 APPLICABLE WEBSITES
Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators: In order to practice physiotherapy in         Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy
British Columbia you must first have your degree credentialed by the Canadian Alliance   
of Physiotherapy Regulators. As the credentialing process can take from 6 weeks to
one year from the time the Alliance receives your documents, you should not
come to Canada until this process is completed. New Grads: Work experience
outside of your PT education is not a requirement.

Permission to write Physiotherapy Exams: When your degree has been credentialed              Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy
the Alliance will give you permission to write the two parts of the Canadian national exam
known as the PCE. This exam is made up of the QE or written exam offered six times            exams/2007HandbookEng.pdf
per year and the PNE or clinical exam offered twice a year. Please refer to their
Candidate Handbook for more information on exam dates, costs, etc. on their website.
You must register for the exams prior to proceeding with licensing.

British Columbia – Vacant Positions: For Vacant Positions visit the Physiotherapy              Physiotherapy Association of BC
Association of BC’s website under Employment Centre. Click on Member Clinic              
Vacancies, and BC Health Authorities. You can also click on Foreign-Trained                     Physiotherapy Jobs in BC
Physiotherapists and find this document posted there.

Working Visa : Apply from your home country for a Canadian working visa through the                 Canadian Government
Canadian Embassy you must have a Canadian physiotherapy job offer in writing. See      
the Canadian government website for visa and immigration info, as well as costs. If you         english/work/index.html
are immigrating you do not need a working visa.

Licensing - College of Physical Therapists of BC (CPTBC):                                    College of Physical Therapists of BC
You may be eligible for interim registration with CPTBC once you have successfully         
completed the Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators credentialing process and                  Applicants
are registered for the first available sitting of both components of the examination.
                                                                                                Registration Applications
Before you apply for interim registration, you will need to have secured employment and
have a fully registered physical therapist who is committed to providing supervision to
you during the term of your registration. Please contact CPTBC directly for more
Join the Canadian Physiotherapy Association (CPA) and get reduced Malpractice                Canadian Physiotherapy Assoc.
Insurance rates. Once you have been credentialed, have applied to write the exams,    
and before you apply as an Interim Registrant with the CPTBC, you will need Malpractice
Insurance. By being a member of CPA you get greatly reduced malpractice
insurance rates as well as access to the national network of your peers and a wealth of
practice resources. Visit the CPA website for Membership Application information.
Your CPA membership includes your PABC membership.

Internationally Educated Physiotherapists – IEP Program
Help for Trained Physiotherapists. UBC’s Physical Therapy Department has launched a                     IEP Program
programme to help Internationally Trained Physiotherapists prepare for the national
competency examinations. Details at

ArriveBC is a BC Government program for skilled new immigrants that help them move
more quickly into jobs that match their experience and background in health care.                         ArriveBC
Contact Arrive BC: 604-575-3800 or 1-877-277-4832 or to help
navigate through the process of becoming a practicing BC physiotherapist.

                                               Contact Information:
        Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators                   Phone: 416-234-8800
        501 – 1234 Islington Avenue                                     Fax:     416-234-8820
        Etobicoke, Ontario M8X 1Y9                            
        College of Physical Therapists of BC                            Phone: 604-730-9193
        302 – 1765 West 8 Avenue                                        Fax:     604-730-9273
        Vancouver, BC V6J 5C6                                 
        Canadian Physiotherapy Association                              Phone: 416-932-1888
        2345 Yonge Street, Suite 410                                    Fax:     416-932-9708
        Toronto, Ontario M4P 2E5                              
        Physiotherapy Association of BC                                 Phone: 604-736-5130
        #402 – 1755 West Broadway                                       Fax:      604-736-5606
        Vancouver, BC V6J 4S5                                 
                                                                        Phone: 604-827-5934
        Internationally Educated Physiotherapists –                     Fax:      604-822-1870
        IEP Program                                           
                                                                        Phone:     604-575-3800
        ARRIVEBC                                                        Toll Free: 1-877-277-4832