VIEWS: 44 PAGES: 1 POSTED ON: 2/26/2010
Cars may be parked in the lay-by in Ton Road or alongside the White Hart. A 2 1/2-hour walk through varying countryside starting from the oak tree in the village centre along the road towards Usk, through Llangibby Park passing below Llangibby Castle to Porthllong Barn. Around the barn the path goes along the ridge with wide views to the west and north then drops down through Ty yn y-Caeau Farm to the valley of the Dowlais Brook. Following the brook to Little Cwm Dowlais Farm the walk then climbs around the spur to Hill Farm with views across the Usk Valley and then passes Trestevan Farm to rejoin the road and return to the village. The walk may be shortened by turning right on the forest track at Point A on the map and following the metalled road to rejoin the path at Point B near Trestevan. Llangybi Church, dedicated to St. Cybi, is of mediaeval foundation, having wall painting and a double approach to the now vanished rood loft. 17th century items include the pulpit, font dated 1662, the Royal Arms of Charles II and a musick gallery. The 17th century barn at Tregrug Farm has a mediaeval roof structure, only the two gable trusses now being intact. Lord Raglan and Sir C. Fox in their book "Monmouthshire Houses" suggest it may have come from Llangibby Castle . Llangibby Castle and Mansion House. The motte and bailey was the earliest castle structure and, when part of the mansion gardens, was known as the "bowling green". The ruins of the castle are high on the right-hand side of the track through the woods and the house stood on the left-hand side of the road above the farm buildings. The castle was built in the 13th century by Gilbert de Clare, having a gatehouse and tower at the western end and the largest bailey in Gwent. In 1544 it was sold to Roger Williams of Usk. At the outset of the Civil War his great grandson Sir Trevor Williams was a Royalist and in 1645 the castle was described as "strong, inhabited and fortified with 60 men in it". Sir Trevor changed sides twice and at the Restoration was given a R oyal Pardon and represented Monmouthshire in Parliament. In 1749 Ellen Williams, who had inherited the estates, married William Addams of Monmouth and the name Addams Williams was adopted. The mansion was probably started by Roger Williams and became an i mpressive country house. It was occupied by the Addams Williams family until 1940, except for a break from the late 1800s to about 1920. The house, used by the armed forces during the Second World War, fell into disrepair and was demolished in 1950. Porthllong. The English translation of the name - llong being ship - seems strange. Canon E.T. Davies, the eminent local historian and one-time Rector of Llangybi, suggests it is a corruption of Porth-y-lleng - gate of the Legions - and is on the line of a Roman road linking Isca (Caerleon) with Burrium (Usk). The ridge above Porthllong barn at 525ft. (160m) provides a panoramic view of the whole length of the eastern extremity of the south-east Wales uplands from Twyn Barlwm in the south to the Blorenge in the north. Beyond can be seen the south-eastern heights of the Black Mountains and the solitary outlier Ysgyryd Fawr while further east lie Graig Syfrddin and Garway Hill. Llangibby Castle as it was about 1900 Bittia Farm, referred to in deeds as Biddie of Bidhey (Welsh Beudyau), was owned by the father of Roger Williams of Usk, who bought Llangibby Castle in 1554. The small wood near Trestevan Farm is named Trestevan Orles on O. S. maps. In the Oxford Dictionary the word "Orl" (without an ‘e’) is defined as an alder.
Pages to are hidden for
"Walk No"Please download to view full document