Docstoc

REGIMENTS CUDWORTH WAR MEMORIAL

Document Sample
REGIMENTS CUDWORTH WAR MEMORIAL Powered By Docstoc
					             REGIMENTS CUDWORTH WAR MEMORIAL

The York and Lancaster Regiment (65 th 84th Regiments of Foot)
The Regiment was raised in 1756 as the 2nd Battalion 12th Foot, but was re-designated as
65th Regiment of Foot on the 15th of June 1758. In August 1782 it became the 65th (2nd
Yorkshire North Riding) Regiment of Foot. On the 1 st of July 1881 it became the 1st
Battalion, The York and Lancaster Regiment.
The Battalion was raised on the 2nd of November 1793 as the 84th Regiment of Foot. In
1809 it was re-designated as the 84th (York and Lancaster) Regiment of Foot, on the 1 st
of July 1881 it became the 2nd Battalion of the Regiment. During the 1st World War the
regiment raised 22 battalions and gained 59 Battle Honours. A total of 57,000 men of
all ranks joined these battalions 48,650 of them were casualties, 8,814 of them died.
There were 1,190 gallantry awards to all ranks including four Victoria Crosses.
On the 25th September 1948 it was amalgamated with the 1st Battalion to form the 1st
Battalion the York and Lancaster Regiment. The Regiment was sadly disbanded at
Sheffield on the 14th of December 1968.
The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry (51 st 105th Regiments of Foot)
The 51st Regiment of Foot was raised in 1755 within the West Riding of Yorkshire and
has been associated with this area ever since. In 1839 the East India Company raised a
new Regiment the Second Madras Light Infantry.
After the Indian Mutiny of 1857 this Regiment was re-designated as the 105th Foot
(Madras Light Infantry).
The Cardwell reforms of 1881 saw the 51st 105th Regiments of Foot amalgamated to
form The Kings Own Light Infantry (South Yorkshire Regiment), the Depot being at
Pontefract. During the First World War this Regiment had Thirteen Battalions on active
service and lost a total of 9,447 members. Eight Victoria Crosses were won and Captain
Bentley won four Military Crosses. They were awarded 59 battle honours.
The Regiment ceased to be The Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry when they were
amalgamated into the Light Infantry on the 10th of July 1968.
The Duke of Wellington’s Regiment (West Riding)
The Cardwell reforms of 1881 saw the amalgamation of the 33 rd Regiment of Foot with
that of the 76th Regiment of Foot; it was with both these Regiments the Duke of
Wellington had been closely associated. The regiment was raised 12.02.1702 as the
Earl of Huntingdon’s regiment of foot and throughout the years it was known by the
names of its Colonels. 1751 brought about the numbering of regiments and it was at
this time they became the 33rd regiment of foot. It was in 1853 that they took the Crest
and Motto of the Duke of Wellington as their Cap Badge.
The 76th Foot was raised on the 12.10.1787. It was re-designated in 1803 as the 76th
(Hindoostan) Regiment of Foot this subtitle however was dropped in 1812.
In 1881 the 76th became the 2nd Battalion of the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment and did
at sometime in the 2nd World War bear the additional title “Chindit Column 76”.




                                       R1
In all this Regiment had 21 Battalions serving during the First World War. Five
Victoria Crosses were awarded, 63 Battle Honours were won and over 8,000 men of all
ranks gave their lives.
During the Second World War the Duke’s, as they are known fought in all the major
theatres of war except the Middle East and the Pacific the Regiment was awarded 23
Battle Honours.
The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own Yorkshire
Regiment)
This Regiment was raised on the 20.11.1688 as Francis Lutterell’s Regiment of Foot. In
1744 the Regiment became known as the Green Howards it was at this time that
Regiments were called after their Colonel’s so it was therefore called the Howard
Regiment. There were however two Colonels with the name Howard, so to remove any
confusion, as the Regiment wore green facings on their uniform it was only natural that
they became the Green Howards. In 1747 they were ranked as the 19 th of Foot. On the
31.08.1782 they were re-designated as the 19th (The 1st Yorkshire North Riding)
Regiment of Foot, in 1785 they were subtitled “ (The 1 st Yorkshire North Riding-
Princess of Wales’s Own)”. The Cardwell reforms of 1881 brought about the title The
Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment), the in 1902 they were re-designated as
Alexandra Princess of Wales’s Own (Yorkshire Regiment) and finally on the 1st of July
1921 they became, The Green Howards (Alexandra, Princess of Wales’s Own
Yorkshire Regiment).
During the 1st World War 24 Battalions of this Regiment were raised. Twelve Officers
and men were awarded The Victoria Cross. There were over 65,000 men serving with
The Green Howards, over 7,500 of these lost their lives and almost 24,000 were
wounded the Regiment being awarded 56 Battle Honours.
In the 2nd World War 12 Battalions of this Regiment were raised serving in all the
principal theatres having two Battalions being the first to land on D-Day. The Regiment
gained 25 Battle Honours, they won 3 Victoria Crosses, 19 Distinguished Service
Orders, 50 Military Crosses, 16 Distinguished Conduct Medals and 92 Military Medals.
The East Lancashire Regiment (30th & 59th Regiment of Foot)
This famous Regiment was raised in 1702 as Thomas Saunderson’s Regiment of
Marines. Through the following years as with other Regiments of this time it was
known by the name of the Colonel commanding it. This carried on until 1747 when they
were numbered as the 30th Regiment of Foot by 1782 they had become the 30 th (The
Cambridgeshire) Regiment of Foot. On the 1st of July 1881 they were amalgamated with
59th Foot raised in 1755 to become the 1st and 2nd Battalions East Lancashire Regiment.
In 1881, the 1st Battalion became The West Lancashire Regiment, but soon afterwards
received the title of The East Lancashire Regiment. Two further amalgamations would
take place, the first on the 1st of July 1958 when they joined with the South Lancashire
Regiment (The Prince of Wales’s Volunteers) to form the Lancashire Regiment (Prince
of Wales’s Volunteers). The final amalgamation took place on the 25 th of March 1970
when they joined with The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire) to become The Queen’s
Lancashire Regiment.
During the First World War the East Lancashire Regiment raised 17 Battalions fighting
with great distinction in all theatres of the war.

                                      R2

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:35
posted:2/25/2010
language:English
pages:2