67 Alexander Drive
P.O. Box 12277
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
PHONE (919) 549-8411
FAX (919) 549-8288
Meeting: ISA Fossil Fuel Power Plant Standard Committee
Chairman: David Roney
Recorder: Eliana Beattie
Date/Time: 13 June 2007, 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm
Location: 2007 POWID Conference
Sheraton Station Square Hotel
Distribution: SP77 Members
SP77 Subcommittee Members
Charley Robinson - Manager, ISA S&P Department
Eliana Beattie-ISA S&P Board Staff Support
Tom McAvinew - VP, ISA S&P Board
Matricia Smith – ISA Event Coordinator
Rodney Jones - ISA Administrator, Technical Divisions
Dan Lee – POWID Director
David Roney, Chair Laura Lewis, Guest
Gary Cohee Gordon McFarland
Danny Crow Jim Olson
Jody Damron, Guest Michael Skoncey
Jerry Gilman Roy Swart
Bob Hubby Cyrus Taft
John Kling Joe Vavrek
Daniel Lee Allan Zadiraka
1. Call to Order
David Roney called the meeting to order at 1:15 p.m.
Copies of the previous minutes, the attendance form, and the roster were circulated.
2. Introduction of Members and Guests
Everyone introduced themselves.
3. Review and Approval of Agenda
Bob Hubby requested that discussion of a new recommended practice for power plant instrument and systems
documentation be added to the agenda. John Kling made a motion to accept the agenda, Gary Cohee seconded, and SP77
approved the agenda as amended.
4. Approval of Previous Meeting Minutes
Bob Hubby made a motion to approve the minutes as written, Mike Skoncey seconded, and SP77 approved the minutes as
5. SP77 Chair Opening Remarks
David Roney asked what the schedule for the subcommittee meetings would be. Cyrus Taft requested time to meet after
lunch on Thursday. The attendees decided to wait until the subcommittee reports were given to set the schedule for
6 SP77 Active Subcommittee Report
SP77.11 Turbine Water Induction
SP77.12 Turbine Supervisory Instrumentation
ISA-77.13.01, Fossil Fuel Power Plant Steam Turbine Steam Bypass Systems
If the subcommittee decides to leave the SAMA reference as is and reaffirm the standard, the standard will be able to go
out for public review as the other changes are not technical, i.e., correcting a note for a table, updating the references in
Annex A, and updating some of the figures in Annex E. If the subcommittee decides to change the SAMA reference
within the body of the text, the standard will need to go back for another committee ballot. No decision has been made
yet whether or not to change the SAMA reference and reballot. Eliana Beattie will check with Jeff Schleis.
ISA-77.14.01, Fossil Fuel Power Plant Steam Turbine Controls
Jeff Schleis was unable to attend POWID, but the working group of Jeff, Andy Gavrilos, and Jim Olson plan to hold web
meetings once a week to have the document ready to ballot before the Houston meetings.
SP77.20 Fossil Simulators Functional Requirements
ISA-77.20.01, Fossil Fuel Power Plant Simulators
Allan Zadiraka will solicit additional membership to work on the standard.
SP77.31 Boiler Implosion Protection
ISA-TR77.40.01, Functional Symbol Diagramming
Dan Lee will hold a meeting in Houston during EXPO.
ANSI/ISA-77.41.01-2005, Fossil Fuel Power Plant Boiler Combustion Controls
ANSI/ISA-77.42.01-1999, Fossil Fuel Power Plant Feedwater Control System – Drum-Type
A PINS for reaffirmation was submitted to ANSI in May 2005.
ISA-TR77.42.02, Feedwater Controls - Drum Level Measurement
The subcommittee attempted a web meeting/phone conference but did not have enough attendees. Allan Zadiraka
suggested starting with a clean document and showing the tracked changes. Bob Hubby suggested, in order to expedite
the process, cleaning up the document and sending it out to SP77 for ballot. Cyrus Taft noted that there appears to be two
halves to the document and that the halves duplicate themselves. The subcommittee decided to meet at 11:30 on
Thursday to begin review of the document and the recent changes.
ISA-77.43.01, Fossil Fuel Power Plant Unit/Plant Demand Development-Drum Type
SP77.43 met in February at the Research Triangle Park meeting and planned to update the symbols.
ISA-77.44.01 Fossil Fuel Power Plant Steam Temperature Controls
There was one minor public review comment from John Gregory that Dan Lee will provide to Eliana and then the
standard will be ready to be submitted to S&P Board for ballot.
ANSI/ISA-77.44.02-2001, Fossil Fuel Power Plant Steam Temperature Control System — Once-Through Type
This standard has been combined with ISA-77.44.01, which will be withdrawn once the other standard is published. The
withdrawal will need to be balloted.
ISA-RP77.61, Control Panel Layout and Design
ISA-RP77.60.02-2000, Fossil Fuel Power Plant Human-Machine Interface: Alarms
Current recommended practice. When the document is reaffirmed, the subcommittee needs to review the work of the new
ISA standard committee on alarm management.
ISA-TR77.60.04-1996 (R2004), Fossil Fuel Power Plant Human-Machine Interface-Electronic Screen Displays
Current technical report.
ISA-RP77.60.05-2001 (R2007), Fossil Fuel Power Plant Human-Machine Interface: Task Analysis
Current recommended practice.
SP77.70 Fossil Fuel Power Plant Instrument Piping Installation
SP77.81 Continuous Emission Monitoring
ISA-TR77.81.01, CEMS Compendium of Definitions
Inactive/never completed. The document can be withdrawn from the record.
ISA-TR77.81.05, Standard Software Interfaces for CEMS Relative Accuracy Test Audit Data
ISA-77.82.01, SCR Instrumentation and Controls Standard
Draft 6 is in progress. SP77.82 will meet Thursday afternoon at 1:00.
7. S&P Board Activities
Dan Lee said there was nothing new to report since the October meeting.
8. Liaison Reports
a) ISA SP5.1 Subcommittee
Dan Lee reported that Jim Carew hopes to have the standard out for ballot before their October meeting.
b) IEC TC65 Technical Advisory Group
A new subcommittee SC31M, Non-electrical equipment and protective systems for explosive atmospheres, has been
TC65 has been going through reorganization. Dan Lee circulated a diagram of the new breakdown.
NFPA 85, 2007 edition, has been published and can be purchased through their web site. The next revision will be 2011
and will be open for public comments around 2009. New subcommittees will be formed for maintenance.
f) ISA SP99-Manufacturing & Control System Security
David Roney will get in touch with David Wade to see if he will continue to be the liaison.
Jerry Gilman noted that the working group met in Phoenix and have already sent SP77 the changes. He will provide the
working group with a copy of the SP77 comments and the letter from Dan Lee.
h) ISA SP101 Human Machine Interface
There have been numerous conference calls. Bob Hubby will send a report to the committee.
9. Old Business
a) SP 99 Liaison position
David Roney will contact David Wade.
b) Subcommittee web page update
The subcommittee chairs were assigned the work of updating their pages and providing the information to Eliana/Jennifer
c) SP77 Committee membership listing
The SP77 roster has been cleaned up, although there were not many removals. Eliana/Jennifer will need to keep track of
who is voting on ballots so that those not voting can be changed to information members or removed.
Jim Olson requested to become a voting member, which was approved by SP77.
d) SP77 Web page folder structure
David Roney will contact Jennifer about updating the SP77 subcommittee web pages so that they all have the same folder
10. New Business
Bob Hubby thanked the SRP employees for attending POWID and giving their presentation detailing a system for
tracking and controlling documentation and maintenance records. Bob Hubby made a motion to establish a new
subcommittee for power plant instrument and systems documentation. Dan Lee seconded and SP77 approved the motion.
Bob Hubby will work with Jody Damron of SRP to work on the scope and purpose with the goal of having it ready for the
October S&P Board meeting. Jody mentioned that they will first need to get approval from SRP to participate on the
13. Next Meeting
Eliana mentioned that an SP77 meeting has been scheduled during EXPO for Wednesday, 3 October, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00
p.m. The meeting is primarily for informational purposes, to provide a synopsis of the committee's activities and
standards to the interested public and potential new members, and does not have to last the full day. David Roney noted
that SP77 would plan on meeting on Wednesday, but this would be based on when the POWID paper session would be
held. There will also be subcommittee meetings scheduled; David Roney asked the subcommittee chairs to let him know
within the next two weeks if they plan to meet at EXPO.
Bob Hubby moved to adjourn the meeting, which was seconded and approved by SP77.