Docstoc

Epping Forest Children _ Young Peoples Strategic Partnership

Document Sample
Epping Forest Children _ Young Peoples Strategic Partnership Powered By Docstoc
					Epping Forest Children & Young People’s Strategic Partnership (CYPSP)

Amended Minutes of the Core Group Meeting held in the Committee Room, Social Care,
                      nd                                                  th
Children’s Services, 2 Floor, Library Building, St John’s Road, Epping, 19 October 2006,
1.30pm

Present:
       Ben Adams West Essex PCT
       David Stone Sub-Group Chair Age 13+ & Locality Team Ldr Youth Services
       Gill Mann CYPSP Chair & Commissioning Manager for Mental Health & Children’s
       Helen Gilbert Extended Schools Co-ordinator, Epping Forest Rural, LDG
       Jackie Scott Extended Schools Co-ordinator
       Jacqui Sheehan ECC Teenage Pregnancy Co-ordinator
       Janet Ashley Social Care
       Julie Saggers, Connexions
       Lonica Vanclay Local Commissioner Children & Young People (Epping Forest)
       Marina Sheriff Epping Forest LSP
       Nina Sadgrove VAEF, CYPSP Administrator
       Paulette Burrell Youth Offending Team
       Sally Theodoreson Action Group Chair Age 5-11 & Health Dev Advisor-Parenting & Early Years
       Sarah Hurwood Epping Upland CofE Primary – EFR LDG
       Sharon Devito Children’s Community Dev Officer
       Steve Leverett ECC CYPSP


    1. Chairs Apologies for Absence
       Carol Keel, West Essex PCT
       Charlotte Copping, VAEF, Assistant Chief Officer
       Chris Wade Locality Service Manager,
       Elizabeth Cuffy Community Leisure Officer,
       Geoff Mangan, Roding Valley High School, Headteacher
       Julie Chandler Community & Cultural Services Manager,
       Kabba Alpha Partnership Co-ordinator Essex County Council
       Tracy Jenkins Connexions,
       Trevor Scott Senior Advisor Schools Development, ECC, ,


    2. Chairs Welcome
       Gill welcomed everyone to the meeting. Jacquie Sheehan, ECC Teenage Pregnancy Co-
       ordinator and Ben Adams, West Essex PCT who were presenting on Teenage
       Pregnancy the next steps. Also welcomed was Steve Leverett CD Head of Strategic
       Partnerships, Children’s Division.
       Nina Sadgrove was welcomed as the new Epping Forest and Harlow CYPSP
       Administrator.


    3. Minutes of last meeting (August 2006)
       Point 5. Schools aren’t mentioned as being a part of CAF. This will now be added to the
       August minutes.

    4. Matters arising
       None




                                                                                                    1
5. Teenage Pregnancy – Next Steps – Jacquie Sheehan, CYP Teenage Pregnancy Co-
   ordinator & Ben Adams, West Essex PCT.

   Jacquie Sheehan spoke of the Social Exclusion Unit’s Report, June 1999. Its 10 year
   strategy has two main goals:
1. To halve the rate of conceptions among under 18s by 2010 and establish a firmly
   downward trend in conceptions under 16, within a broader strategy to improve sexual
   health.

2. To get more teenage parents into education, training or employment, to reduce their risk
   of long-term social exclusion with a target of 60% participation by 2010.

    It was suggested that if there is not a sexual health advisor at The Box in Epping that we
    should consider having one. The C Card Scheme was discussed as it is well established
    in Harlow and Epping Forest with 60 assessors and 25 outlets. The PHSE school nurse
    team are currently undergoing an audit to see what’s being delivered and who’s
    delivering it. Are they delivering the right sexual education? This will be looked into.

    Bumps and Beyond are developing a project with the Youth Offending team to start an
    eight week programme with a sexual health session hoping to then become a C Card
    outlet. The staff on board will have basic sexual health education skills.
                                  th
    There will be a meeting on 24 October with Westminster to confirm the best assessment
    and to review areas with problems. Jacquie will then have this diagnosis circulated.

    Julie Saggers mentioned that it would be a great idea to get a group from Bump and
    Beyond to be trained and then use them to teach, utilising their experience.

    The attachment below (attachment 2) contains Jacquie’s complete presentation for your
    information.

    A copy of Ben Adams presentation is attached (attachment 3).


6. Steve Leverett, CD Head of Strategic Partnerships, Children’s Division
   Steve is in the process of visiting all the CYPSPs. Steve’s aim is to work with all the local
   CYPSPs and their Chairs to further clarify CYPSP roles and functions. This will make it
   clearer who is responsible and accountable, and who needs to be informed and
   consulted within the CYPSP.

    The CYPSP and LDG roles will also be clarified so that any duplication of work is
    avoided. Unfortunately at the moment they do have overlapping responsibilities.

    (please email your address if you would like a posted copy of Steve’s document, The
    CYPSP Governance overviews: Defining Role, Function, Accountabilities)

7. Children’s Trust Approach/ Revised Terms of Reference/ CYPSP Structure
   Lonica outlined the proposed model for Local Implementation of the Children’s Trust
   Approach. This model has been based on the Braintree Children’s Trust model. The
   proposal will be presented to the County Council Cabinet end October and if the new
   structure is agreed, ECC will set locally based teams of frontline delivery workers, known
   as TASCCs (Team Around the School, Child and Community), initially with ECC staff
   assigned to them. However, hopefully other agency staff would also be part of the
   TASCC or work closely with it, as in Braintree. There would be some 25-30 TASCCs,
   roughly 1 TASCC linked to an LDG. LDGs would have a role in managing the delivery of
   co-ordinated services at a local level.

                                                                                              2
    It was commented that the role distinction between the LDG and the CYPSP would need
    clarifying. Lonica suggested the CYPSP role was district level strategic planning and
    commissioning and oversight of delivery; whereas the LDG was responsible for
    managing coordinated delivery locally and the TASCC consisted of frontline workers
    actually delivering the services. This needs to be further discussed locally and at County
    level. Sarah pointed out that Head Teachers are very stressed and anxious about the
    changes, time is the biggest issue for schools and extended groups and responsibilities
    will make it even harder for them. She suggested that a seconded head who does not
    have school responsibilities may be the answer.

    Lonica outlined the proposed CYPSP structure. There would be a CYPSP management
    board who will set priorities, plan and commission services and oversee the sub-groups,
    initially meeting monthly. CYPSP sub-groups on ages and themes would undertake the
    activities of the CYPSP and be involved with coordination of services. The chairs of
    subgroups would form a Co-ordinating Group, also meeting monthly. Stakeholder
    meetings for anyone involved with and interested in children’s services locally would be
    held twice yearly. Comments were invited about the Terms of Reference and its future
    structure responding to the developing role of the CYPSP and its future role. The new
    TOR and structure is hoped to be in place by January 2007.

    Gill Mann indicated she felt it was not possible to sign off the TOR at this meeting. It will
    be circulated again to all the CYPSP Core Group members and comments have been
                               th                                           rd
    asked for by November 13 2006 for conclusion at the next meeting 23 November.

    Lonica reported that in terms of participation of children and young people, EF District
    Council were currently recruiting to the post of Youth Officer and this person would play
    an important role. She also mentioned that at her meeting with members of the Young
    Forum it was requested that young people would rather have a focused conversation in
    the evening or at weekends on specific topics, making it easier for people to attend. She
    had also attended a meeting of the Davenant School Council and this highlighted the
    possibility of linking with School Councils. This will be especially helpful in consultation on
    the play strategy. Planning for how the consultation will be undertaken will be done in
    December 2006 and the consultations will begin early 2007.

    It will be important that we keep considering how children and young people can be
    included in the CYPSP structure and generally be involved more in all CYPSP activities.


8. CYPSP plan – Next steps
   The EF District CYPSP Action Plan was outlined and Lonica suggested that rather than
   consider it in detail at the meeting, it would be helpful to decide how to take it forward and
   work with it.

    It would be helpful for action groups to consider the actions currently proposed, decide if
    they are the right ones, if there are enough actions and also decide who is responsible for
    actioning them. This couldn’t be finalised at the meeting but attendees were asked if
    there were any points they wished to raise.

    Paulette Burrell raised the issue that Target 11 had no objectives for the CYPSP against
    it. She suggested that we work more closely with the learning services to ensure
    continuity of educational placement for young people admitted to institutions. There
    needs to be smooth transition process from offending back into education. It was also
    suggested that we need to work with the schools and find out why people are entering
    the criminal system. We need to make an impact to make a positive impact and improve
    support.



                                                                                                 3
    Detention Training Orders (DTO) only come in 4 month orders, this isn’t always practical
    as depending on when it is issued the end of the order could fall in school holidays
    leading to a gap when there is no incentive for the CYP to follow an objective of
    schooling.

    It was suggested that we could capture what others can do to help. Hold PPO meetings
    with Police, Connexions, and Housing etc and get other external groups involved to help
    prevent and deter youth offending.

    It was mentioned that we may need to have specific discussions with particular people to
    identify certain actions. Chairs of Sub Groups will need to get together and discuss also.
    It was agreed the Action Groups would take time together to consider the plan, check the
    actions are right and propose changes and additional ones if there is more the CYPSP
    could do, and then report back to Lonica.


9. Stronger links with the Local Strategic Partnership
   Gill was delighted to report that the CYPSP is now the eighth strand in the LSP. We
   have worked hard to be recognised by and included in the LSP and the importance of
   children and young people has now been formally acknowledged. She will continue to
   attend the Board Meetings and Lonica will attend the steering group of action group
   chairs.


10. Diversity funding
                                                                    st
    Following discussions at the last meeting it was felt that the 1 priority for this money was
                                     nd
    the primary school children. 2 priority was the secondary age children and young
                 rd
    people and 3 Community events, including parents and the wider community. All agreed
    that these were the correct priorities.

    It was then agreed that to allocate this money the CYPSP would look into delivering
    workshops to schools. Theatre Active and the Greenwich Theatre are possibilities. They
    would deliver a presentation to the children whereby the children get involved too.
    Information could be given to parents and they could also be invited along to watch the
    presentation.

    It was thought that if the presentation was held at an external hall where transport was
    provided out of school hours people who we want to target would not attend. To gain the
    best from the presentations it needs to be held on the school premises. If DVDs and
    resource packs were also available it would encourage other schools and parents to get
    involved.

    Lonica believes that The Greenwich Theatre already has a ready made show which they
    are performing. If this is the case it may be cheaper to get them to do that and we can
    then extend it to more schools in the area. LV and Helen Gilbert will look into this.

    It was thought too that we would look into the possibility of having music workshops
    including steel bands.

    All agreed that this was fine, budget permitting.

11. Action Group Updates
    0-5 Gillian Mann
    Action Plan has been formatted to mirror the Essex CYP plan.

    5-11 Sally Theodoreson
    Please see attached document for update. (Attachment 4)

                                                                                               4
    11-19 David Stone
    Have discussed the CYP Plan and its proposed changes. The group are happy to
    oversee what is going on.
    The Play Strategy has also been discussed along with the changes within ECC.

    Play Strategy
    13 people attended meeting and it was very positive. There are a series of things to do
    up until December 2006. People are very positive and keen to take this forward.

    CAF Steering Group
                                                                   nd
    CAF meeting with Anita Kemp present is on November 2 . Things have moved on
    significantly since last meeting.
                                                                          th
    There will be a training session ‘Training the Trainers’ on October 30 , 2pm County Hall.
    more details to follow.
    A small steering group will be set up in EF to identify and plan local arrangements for
    CAF rollout, to identify the numbers of individual groups who need training on the CAF
    and plan to meet those training needs.

12. Local Delivery Group Update
    Mike Moore has stepped down as LDG South. Judith Lunn and Geoff Mangan have
    stepped in temporarily.

    LDG Parenting group have now agreed to consult with parents before final decisions are
    made.

13. Any Other Business
    Liz Railton has written to inform us that she is stepping down from her current role to take
    up the National Post of Programme Director (Children’s Centres) supporting Local
    Authorities with childrens centres.

    Gill has a copy of the ECC Grants to Voluntary Organisations and this will be circulated.

    The children and young people’s version of the Children and Young People’s Plan will be
                                                                        th
    launched the same time as Loughton’s new Youth centre on October 26 at 2.30pm.

    A review of the June 06 Spotlight Day has been sent to all invited and attendees of the
    day.

    New Child Protection books have been published. They will replace the blue book and be
    distributed soon. It’s on the website and very easy to download if wanted now.
    There will be 2 briefing sessions about the new procedures at St Johns School, Epping
                   st
    on Tuesday 21 November, at 1pm-2.30pm and also 3.30pm-5pm. Parking is available.

    Heads of Action Groups will meet to look at action plan.

14. Date of next meeting:
                                rd
       Core Group Thursday 23 November 1.30 – 3.30pm Committee Room
       Social Services Office, St Johns Road, Epping




                                                                                                5

				
DOCUMENT INFO