Docstoc

Local Licensing Task Group

Document Sample
Local Licensing Task Group Powered By Docstoc
					DRAFT
                        MPT 1362 Review Group
                           Minutes of meeting held at
                DTI, 151 Buckingham Palace Road, London on the
                           28th March 2001 @ 10.30
Attendees:
             David Naylor           Chair                  Calvale Associates
             Steve Hoye             Secretary              RA2/PBS
             Hera Miah                                     RA2/PBS
             Anton Matthews                                FCS
             Mike Philips                                  Home Office
             Geoff Streeter                                Home Office
             Stewart Gent                                  NCF
             Terry Beadman                                 MIRA
             Peter Bouchard                                Fone Logistics

1. Apologises of Absence

1.1   Apologies of absence were received from John Thomson (Panorama
      Antennas) and Norman Allen (Fone Logistics).

2. Introduction to MPT 1362 Review

2.1   David Naylor explained to the group that the MPT 1362 Code of Practice
      published and distributed by the Radiocommunications Agency (RA) is
      treated like the bible in the vehicle installation industry.

2.2   When updating the Code of Practice the ISO document would have to be taken
      into consideration. MPT 1362 must remain a Code of Practice, it is an RA
      document and if people want to adopt it as a standard then they can.

2.3   Anton Matthews asked the group to note that MPT 1362 must not be a
      mandatory document because it is related to several other things. Also that it
      was important that when other documents are updated that it must be ensured
      that such updates do not out date MPT 1362.

2.4   Mike Philips added that the Home Office can only give guidance to Chief
      Constables on what Code of Practice to use. However, if Chief Constables
      choose to ignore recommendations from the Home Office then if things go
      wrong they can be taken to task on it.

2.5   Terry Beadman said that it should be made clear that this document is for
      guidance and that installations must be done within the guidelines set out in it.

3. Review of current version of MPT 1362

3.1   David Naylor explained to the group that the format and layout of the MPT
      1362 is in line with all RA documents and asked the group if they thought that
      the document is easy to use.




                                                                                     1
DRAFT
3.2   Stewart Gent said that all the engineers at NCF have to have MPT 1362 with
      them at all vehicle installations in order that they can use it as a guideline.
      They are also all aware that they must use and abide by this code. So, from a
      usage prospective he could see no problem with the document and added that
      when customers have queries that it was almost certain that the answers would
      be in the document.

3.3   Peter Bouchard agreed with Stewart Gent and said that all engineers at Fone
      Logistics also carry the document and that 99% of the time the customer
      queries can be answered as a result of having the document. Peter found the
      document to be easily digestible and understandable.

3.4   Terry Beadman and Geoff Streeter both were also happy with the user
      friendliness of the document. Mike Philips added that the Home Office
      documents would be building upon the MPT 1362 for other equipment such as
      video equipment in police vehicles.

3.5   Anton Matthews asked the group if they knew if the audio supply company’s
      use this document and if not, it should be indicated that they can use the MPT
      1362.

3.6   David Naylor added that the group would be looking at whether or not the
      group could include in the appendices a list of other things that the MPT 1362
      relates to.

ACTION
 David Naylor to check if additional information can be included in the
  appendices to show other items to which MPT 1362 applies to.

3.7   Terry Beadman asked the group to note that multi-band antennas should be
      included under the antenna section.

ACTION
 Multi-band antennas to be included in MPT 1362.

3.8   Anton Matthews ask the group that it was important to note that the MPT 1362
      Code of Practice is an RA document because it relates to equipment that
      transmits and the group agreed.

3.9   Geoff Streeter brought to the attention of the group that the installation report
      on page 30 of the existing document should be referenced against the V/N No.
      of the vehicle and not the Vehicle Registration No., as the registration number
      can be changed at any time. David Naylor added that the wording would be
      amended to address the issue.

ACTION
 Wording on the installation report to be changed so that installation is
  referenced against a V/N No. and not a Vehicle Registration No.




                                                                                     2
DRAFT
3.10   Stewart Gent added that another change should be made to the installation
       form to show any visible faults with the vehicle after installation/during
       installation. Terry Beadman added that it is equally important to also note on
       the same form what other equipment is visible on the vehicle.

3.11   David Naylor informed the group that for public service it was important to
       record everything but for private systems it might not be as easy for an
       engineer to see all devices. It might be possible to overcome some of these
       issues with carefully worded paragraphs.

ACTION
 Installation report to include sections on visible faults with vehicle and
  equipment on board vehicle.

3.12   Terry Beadman also added that the installation form should ask for the details
       of what is being done to the vehicle along with things that the engineer has
       checked on the vehicle.

ACTION
 Installation report to include the work being carried out along with the
  equipment being checked.

3.13   Peter Bouchard added that when the checks are being carried out that all
       equipment details such as serial numbers should be noted.

ACTION
 Installation report to show equipment serial numbers.

3.14   David Naylor added that a decision to carryout all of the actions above would
       be made at a later date after finding out an average time an installation takes
       and allocating some time to engineers to complete this report.

The following sections in the contents page of the MPT 1362 were discussed:

3.15   Section 3 – General

3.16   The group agreed that 3.1 did not currently require any changes.

3.17   3.2.2 and 3.3.1 needed additional legal requirements.

ACTION
 Additional legal requirements needed in 3.2.2 and 3.3.1.

3.18   David Naylor added that the document is to stay a generic document and that
       if anybody required further special regulatory measures than they should
       develop their own guidance instructions. He also added that it was important
       to notify other departments/groups of what this group is doing so that if they
       feel it effects them then we can make further considerations when re-writing
       MPT 1362.




                                                                                    3
DRAFT
3.19   Stewart Gent asked if it were possible to direct people from the document to
       other documents for specific information that isn’t completely being covered
       by the MPT 1362. Mike Philips added that if it were possible it could go
       under appendix C. David Naylor asked Mike to take the lead in additional
       sources of information for MPT 1362.

ACTION
 Mike Philips to take the lead in additional sources of information for MPT
  1362.

3.20   3.3.3 and 3.3.4 is to be looked at in general terms. Anton Matthews and Terry
       Beadman both said that the directive on safety guidelines should be taken into
       consideration when this section is looked at. Furthermore, MPT 1362 should
       state any facts and examples relevant direct from the safety directive.

ACTION
 Reference to safety directive is to be made under 3.3.3 and 3.3.4.

3.21   David Naylor asked the group to note that as they progress through the review
       new things are bound to arise that the MPT 1362 will need to take into
       consideration. As and when they arise they will be considered. Terry
       Beadman added that such an example would be the change in electrical
       connections.

ACTION
 Electrical connections to be included in the MPT 1362.

3.22   3.3.5 needs to be looked at to give users a guide to the types of things a
       warranty covers and the kind of things that invalidate a warranty.

ACTION
 Kinds of things that validates and invalidates a warranty to be listed in the
  MPT 1362.

3.23   David Naylor commented that all of section 3 would have to be reviewed, and
       that Terry Beadman and he would tackle the safety issues in MPT 1362 along
       with referencing the LVD directive.

ACTION
 David Naylor and Terry Beadman to tackle safety issues in MPT 1362.

3.24   Section 4 – Planning, Preparation & Pre-Installation

3.25   Stewart Gent and Peter Bouchard who work within companies to whom this
       section relates to the most said that section 4 is fine as it is and saw no reason
       to change it as it worked very well.




                                                                                       4
DRAFT
3.26   David Naylor added that this section would stay as it currently was and
       if/when something comes up requiring a change then the section will be
       reviewed at a later date. Furthermore, David added that it was important to
       start with the sections requiring the biggest changes, as it gave this review
       group somewhere to start. Minor changes can be tackled as the group
       progresses.

3.27   Section 5 – Installation

3.28   The group agreed that this section as a whole would need to be looked at.
       New things such as antennas, cabling and power supply units would have to be
       included. They also noted that this section would spin out and affect other
       sections as changes are made.

3.29   Section 6 – Test & Final Inspection

3.30   David Naylor informed the group that it was important that everyone should
       work together from having equipment installed to modifying a vehicle in a
       safe manner. Mike Philips agreed that this was a good direction to head in as
       vehicle manufacturers of vehicles have a lack of understanding of the
       equipment that is to be installed in vehicles. Anton Matthews said that he
       would raise this further with manufacturers for comment.

3.31   David Naylor said to the group that it was the responsibility of the group to
       educate the manufacturers to approve the equipment that is being installed.
       David recommended that the MPT 1362 Code of Practice should go out to all
       vehicle manufacturers and radio manufacturers so they are able to see what we
       are doing and can judge for themselves how it affects them.

3.32   Anton Matthews asked if the format of the document could be changed so that
       each section starts at a new page.

ACTION
 Hera Miah to look into changing the format of the document to reflect Anton
  Matthews comment.

3.33   Anton Matthews also submitted a copy a document to Steve Hoye which will
       be distributed to all members (not for public viewing). The document is a
       draft final report of a study on the application of directive 95/54/EC relative to
       the EMC of road vehicles.

ACTION
 Hera Miah distribute the report of a study on the application of directive
  95/54/EC relative to the EMC of road vehicles to group members.

3.34   David Naylor asked Anton Matthews to look at section 5 and Stewart Gent to
       take the lead in this section.

ACTION
 Stewart Gent and Anton Matthews to take forward section 5.



                                                                                       5
DRAFT
3.35   6.2 to be changed so that it reflects that interference problems (such as
       ignition) should be dealt with by rectifying the equipment being installed and
       not the vehicle itself. Furthermore, it has been suggested that the equipment
       be put in a test area and that all equipment on board a vehicle should be tested
       prior to installation.

3.36   6.4 should be sub-divided into two sections. These should be pre-installation
       checks and post installation checks. Terry Beadman added that attention must
       also be paid to detonating explosive devices on board a vehicle such as
       airbags. Stewart Gent asked that under installation checks or in road test that
       the last thing to be checked is that the car must start after an installation is
       complete.

3.37   David Naylor suggested that a paragraph be put in to talk about installer
       competence. The paragraph should state generally what the installer needs to
       know in order to carry out a installation, these things could be the vehicle and
       the equipment being installed. A method that can be used to test installer
       competence is representation from recognised bodies that a particular person is
       competent to install such as having a qualification (NVQ and/or City &
       Guilds). The group agreed to include this information in a paragraph.

ACTION
 Installer competence paragraph to be included into the MPT 1362.

3.38   Section 7 – Demonstration & Customer Training

3.39   It was noted that fleet managers must train there staff and if this is not possible
       then guidance notes must be given out to all staff to read prior to installations
       taking place.

3.40   A form of survey should be carried out on the customer to check customer
       satisfaction.

3.41   7.1 was seen to be OK and requires no changes at the moment.

3.42   7.2 needs to be looked at so that RF fields are clarified.

3.43   The group agreed that 7.3 needed further expanding.

3.44   Appendices

3.45   The group agreed that in due course that all the appendices would have to be
       reviewed. By the next meeting some progress would have been made as a
       result of work that is to be done.

4. The Work Programme

4.1    David Naylor tasked members of the group to look at each of the sections
       discussed above and to bring back at the next meeting the changes that they
       believe need to be made for further discussion.



                                                                                        6
DRAFT
4.2   Terry Beadman and Mike Philips have taken on the general section (item 3 in
      the table of contents) to look at new regulatory issues that the MPT 1362
      should be taking into consideration.

ACTION
 Terry Beadman and Mike Philips to look at regulatory issues.

4.3   Stewart Gent, Peter Bouchard and Anton Matthews will be looking at, along
      with the installers group the following sections: Planning, Preparation & Pre-
      Installation (item 4 in the table of contents), Installation (item 5 in the table of
      contents), Test & Final Inspection (item 6 in the table of contents) and
      Demonstration & Customer Training (item 7 in the table of contents).

ACTION
 Stewart Gent, Peter Bouchard and Anton Matthews to look at the following
  sections in the MPT 1362:
             -      Planning, Preparation & Pre-Installation
             -      Installation
             -      Test & Final Inspection
             -      Demonstration & Customer Training

4.4   David Naylor also asked the group to note that he will be asking John
      Thomson to take a lead role in tackling all antenna sections of the MPT 1362
      as he is an antenna expert.

ACTION
 John Thomson to tackle antenna parts of the MPT 1362.

4.5   Two things that the group thought were important to take on board when
      carrying out their tasks are:

      1)     From October 2002 vehicle equipment cannot be transferred from one
             vehicle to another with out an ‘E’ mark.
      2)     And both teams in carrying out their task would have to keep one
             another informed of progress before the next meeting as issues being
             tackled are connected to each other.

5. A.O.B.

5.1   There was no other business raised for discussion.

6. Date & Time of next meeting

6.1   The next meeting will be held on 5th June 2001 at the DTI in Buckingham
      Palace Road, London, starting from 10:30 am




                                                                                        7
       DRAFT
       7. Summary of Action Points

Action                                                         Name               Required
1. Enquiry to check if additional information can be           David Naylor       On-going
included in the appendices to show other items to which
MPT 1362 applies to. (Par. 3.6)
2. Multi-band antennas to be included in MPT 1362. (Par.       Group              On-going
3.7)
3. Wording on the installation report to be changed so that    Group              On-going
installation is referenced against a V/N No. and not a
Vehicle Registration No. (Par. 3.9)
4. Installation report to include sections on visible faults   Group              On-going
with vehicle and equipment on board vehicle. (Par. 3.11)
5. Installation report to include the work being carried out   Group              On-going
along with the equipment being checked. (Par. 3.12)
6. Installation report to show equipment serial numbers.       Group              On-going
(Par. 3.13)
7. Additional legal requirements needed in 3.2.2 and 3.3.1.    Group              On-going
(Par. 3.17)
8. Additional sources of information for MPT 1362 are to       Mike Philips       On-going
be looked into. (Par. 3.19)
9. Reference to safety directive is to be made under 3.3.3     Group              On-going
and 3.3.4. (Par. 3.20)
10. Electrical connections to be included in the MPT 1362.     Group              On-going
(Par. 3.21)
11. Kinds of things that validates and invalidates a           Group              On-going
warranty to be listed in the MPT 1362. (Par. 3.22)
12. Safety issues in MPT 1362to be looked at. (Par. 3.23)      David Naylor and   On-going
                                                               Terry Beadman
13. The format of the document to reflect Anton Matthews       Hera Miah          On-going
comment to start each section on a new page. (Par. 3.32)
14. Distribution of the report of a study on the application   Hera Miah          On-going
of directive 95/54/EC relative to the EMC of road vehicles
to group members. (Par. 3.33)
15. Section 5 to be taken forward. (Par. 3.34)                 Stewart Gent and   On-going
                                                               Anton Matthews
16. Installer competence paragraph to be included into the     Group              On-going
MPT 1362. (Par. 3.37)
17. Regulatory issues to be looked at. (Par. 4.2)       Terry Beadman and         On-going
                                                        Mike Philips
18. The following sections in the MPT 1362are to be Stewart Gent, Peter           On-going
looked at:                                              Bouchard and Anton
              -       Planning, Preparation & Pre- Matthews
                      Installation
              -       Installation
              -       Test & Final Inspection
              -       Demonstration & Customer Training
. (Par. 4.3)
19. Antenna sections of the MPT 1362 to be looked at.   John Thomson              On-going
(Par. 4.4)


                                                                                      8

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Stats:
views:19
posted:2/24/2010
language:English
pages:8
Description: Local Licensing Task Group