Animal _ Veterinary Sciences _ Clemson University - DOC

Document Sample
Animal _ Veterinary Sciences _ Clemson University - DOC Powered By Docstoc
					            Animal & Veterinary Sciences @ Clemson University
                      Transfer Student Information

(This Fact Sheet was compiled by Dr. Glenn Birrenkott ( and Mrs. Roxanne Bernard
(, 864-656-6464) for undergraduate transfer students in Animal & Veterinary Sciences
programs at Clemson University. We have tried to assure that the information is accurate, but the student is
ultimately responsible for meeting their degree requirements as listed in the Undergraduate Announcements at the
time of their admission. Use or modification of this document without the expressed permission of the authors is
prohibited. June 11, 2007)

        Thanks for choosing the Animal & Veterinary Sciences Department in the
College of Agriculture, Forestry and Life Sciences at Clemson University. We ask for your
patience as we go through this process. Each transfer student is very unique. You come to us
with a variety of courses from a diversity of institutions and have a wide array of career and
educational goals. We are committed to working with you to maximize the credits from your
previous school(s) and to getting you a class schedule for your first semester at Clemson.

        First, some general rules. The rubric for Clemson University courses is an indication of
the level of difficulty. In general, 100-level courses are for freshman, 200-level for sophomores
(and freshmen), 300-level courses are considered junior-level, and 400-level are senior-level.
Courses at the 200-, 300- and 400-levels often have prerequisites that must be satisfied before the
course can be taken. Any prerequisites would be indicated in the “Undergraduate

       Remember, 300- and 400-level courses are considered junior and senior-level. So,
Clemson University will NOT allow any student to transfer in a course at these levels from a 2-
year school or from an institution that does not award baccalaureate degrees.

       Students transferring into one of our undergraduate degree programs will usually come in
with a minimum of 30 credits and a 2.5 GPA. These are Clemson University requirements and
are checked and evaluated by admissions and records & registration, not by our department.
Your acceptance to Clemson University is outside our control.

    Only courses that you received a grade of “C” or higher will transfer to Clemson University.
These courses will transfer to fulfill degree requirements or as electives but will not affect your
Clemson GPA. Transfer courses satisfy degree requirements, much like high school AP credits,
but do not transfer a grade to Clemson. So, even if you transfer 60 credits to Clemson University
your Clemson University GPA starts at 0.00 Your Clemson GPA is determined by the total
number of grade points (grade * credits) divided by the total number of credit hours taken at
                            General Education Requirements (GenEd)
         All undergraduate students at Clemson University must satisfy certain basic “General
Education” (GenEd) requirements before graduation. This is to make sure that you are a well-
rounded / educated individual. Here is a rundown on these GenEd requirements:
Freshman English (3 credits) = English 103
         Presently, transfer students with the equivalent of Clemson’s (old) English 101 & English
102 or English 102 are given credit for English 103. If you only have credit for English 101 it is
considered an elective.
Cross Cultural Awareness (CCA, 3 credits)
         Usually students will not take a course that only satisfies this GenEd requirement. Many
of the Humanities and Social Sciences requirements (see below) will also satisfy this
requirement. Students should, in consultation with their advisor(s), try to choose courses that
“double dip” – i.e. satisfy more than one GenEd requirement. The Cross Cultural Awareness
requirement may also be satisfied through an approved study abroad / international experience.
Science, Technology & Society (STS, 3 credits)
         Animal & Veterinary Sciences students will meet this requirement with our AVS 315 or
AVS 415 course(s).
Humanities Non-literature (3 credits)
         This GenEd requirement is usually satisfied with courses in Music, Philosophy, Religion
or Theatre. If you have more than 3 credits of basic humanities courses, the excess will be
considered electives.
Humanities Literature (3 credits)
         This GenEd requirement is usually satisfied by a sophomore-level English literature
course. The equivalent Clemson courses are English 202  English 215. Please note, all 200-
level English courses do NOT satisfy this requirement, only the literature courses. The
Humanities Literature requirement can also be met by many of the 300-level language courses.
Again, if you have more than one 3-credit sophomore-level English course, the excess are
considered electives.
Social Sciences (6 credits, in 2 disciplines)
         This includes certain courses in Economics, History, Political Science, Psychology, and
Sociology. As noted above, you must have two 3-credit courses from two different disciplines.
Therefore, if you come to our department with 9 credits of History, only one of the courses
would count towards this GenEd requirement and the rest would be elective credits.
Mathematical Sciences
         All students, including transfers, must take the on-line Clemson Math Placement Test
(CMPT, www. You must take this even if you are getting credit for
math courses taken elsewhere. You can only take the test once and the score is good for one year.
See the above website for more information. Please note that MTHSC 104 (College Algebra),
MTHSC 105 (Pre-calculus) and MTHSC 199 (Problem Solving in Mathematics) are considered
preparatory classes for college math classes. Credit for these three classes would count only as
elective credit.
         A certain level of mathematical competency is required to do well in Chemistry. In order
to register for freshman chemistry (CH 101, L 101) you must have a CMPT score (see above) of
at least 3 or have successfully completed one of the non-preparatory math classes.
        The 120-series of Clemson’s Biology courses are designed for non-science majors and
will not count towards our requirement for either BIOL 103/104 (two 4-credit biology courses
with labs) or BIOL 110/111 (two 5-credit biology courses with labs).
Advanced Writing (3 credits)
        This Clemson requirement is met by taking, and passing, a 300-level English course that
focuses on writing (i.e. Technical Writing, Business Writing, see GenEd list in the
Undergraduate Announcements). Because it is a 300-level course, Clemson does not consider
any English writing course from a 2-year school or college as being equivalent.
Oral Communication (3 credits)
        There are several ways to satisfy this GenEd requirement. Most students will take a 3-
credit speech or (oral) communication course (for a list see GenEd requirements in the
Undergraduate Announcements). Many of these are 100- and 200-level courses that have
Clemson equivalencies. Students may also opt to combine an AVS evaluation class (i.e
Livestock, Dairy, Equine or Poultry evaluation) and AVS 406, Senior Seminar to satisfy
Clemson’s oral communication requirement. You may need to check to make sure that any
professional school (Veterinary, Medical, Dental) that you plan to attend will accept this
Clemson option.

         If you have taken courses at another institution that have satisfactory / pass / fail grading,
you must bring an official statement from the registrar’s office of that institution stating that the
“S” or “P” grade is equivalent to a “C” or better for it to transfer to Clemson.
    Some of your courses from other institutions may not satisfy any degree requirements in our
program or you may have an excess of a particular type of credits – these become elective
credits. Do not become too alarmed if all of these do not all appear on your Clemson transcript.
Beyond a certain level, just piling on more elective credits would inflate your student academic
standing but get you no closer to graduation. This could have a negative impact because Clemson
students must achieve a minimum cumulative GPA based on the number of credits that they have
taken. Excess elective credits would increase the student’s credit level and require the student to
maintain a higher GPA for continuing enrollment. If a student wants the excess electives added
to their student record (for financial aid or other reasons), they can sign a consent form.

          Transfer Credit Evaluation and Transfer Credit Equivalency List (TCEL)
         The following is an example of what a completed Undergraduate Transfer Evaluation
form might look like. It has your name and ID number in the upper left corner with the
institution that you attended listed immediately below that. It then itemizes the courses that you
took, with the grade you received, the hours earned (i.e. credits), and the Clemson equivalent.
Please note that several of the Clemson equivalent courses were 300-level so this student took
these at a four year college or university that awards baccalaureate degrees.
         The evaluator for the first three courses is TCEL. This stands for Transfer Credit
Equivalency List. Clemson University maintains a database of courses that have transferred here
from other institutions. Obviously, we have the most information from other institutions of
higher education in SC and less from out-of-state schools. You can check to see if we have
information and courses in the TCEL from your former school by accessing the website:
         If your course(s) is/are not on the Clemson TCEL, then during Transfer Orientation you
will go to the Hendrix Center Ballroom to get your courses evaluated. Only faculty from a given
subject matter discipline can evaluate courses in that subject area. This means that I cannot
evaluate English or Chemistry courses – only the English and Chemistry faculty can,
respectively. In the example (below) a faculty member in Sociology evaluated the SSS 203
course from another university and found that it was equivalent to Clemson’s SOC 392. This
faculty member initialed the evaluation, and wrote down the number of credits to be awarded for
this transfer.

       After you have had all of your courses evaluated (by TCEL or faculty in the various
departments) then you come to one of the AVS transfer advisors and we fill out the last two
columns. We determine whether the equivalent course(s) fit into our curriculum as satisfying a
(R)equirement or as an (E)lective. Once these forms are filed with Records & Registration, room
104 Sikes Hall, they will be processed and entered into our system. Based on the completed form
(above) we sit down with you to determine what courses you need to take, help you design a
schedule and go on-line with you to get the courses that you need.
       Finally, nothing is every (completely) final. It is possible to revisit / re-evaluate the
courses that you have transferred to Clemson. It may also be possible to change their designation
from satisfying one requirement to satisfying a different one. This would be accomplished with a
Course Substitution form in consultation with your advisor and department chair.
       We hope that this helps you understand the transfer evaluation system at Clemson. If you
have any questions give us a call or send us an email.