Policy Title: HIPAA - Notice of Privacy Practices Policy
Policy Number: HIPAA -A-0001 Effective Date: 04/01/2003
Purpose: To provide guidelines regarding Privacy Practices
Regulation Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996
It shall be the policy of Butler County that each client or client’s representative
will be provided with a Notice of Privacy Practices at the time of the first date of
service delivery with the client.
1. At the time of the client’s first date of service delivery they will be provided
with the Notice of Privacy Practices. Upon request, a copy of the Notice of
Privacy Practices will be provided to the client.
2. The client will have the opportunity to ask questions and discuss the Notice of
Privacy Practices. Any questions that cannot be answered will be referred to
the Privacy Officer.
3. The Notice of Privacy Practices will be posted on the County’s web-site and
placed in prominent locations throughout the County.
4. The Privacy Officer shall periodically review and revise the Notice of Privacy
Practices as required by changes of state or federal law, technology, or
informational policy changes of the County.
5. The client or client’s representative will initial or sign the Notice of Privacy
Practices as an acknowledgment of his or her receipt and a copy of the
acknowledged Notice will be placed in the client’s record.
6. In the event that a client or client’s representative refuses or otherwise does
not sign an acknowledgment of the receipt of the Notice of Privacy Practices,
the refusal, the reason for the refusal, and his/her good faith effort to obtain
the written acknowledgment will be documented and placed in the client’s
7. The client or client’s representatives will be informed of changes to the Notice
of Privacy Practices on a timely basis in the manner required by federal or
Page 1 of 2
Page 2 of 2