Louis L. Manderino Library
PROCEDURES FOR SUBMITTING A THESIS TO PROQUEST
Students must meet all the departmental and graduate school requirements
regarding thesis submission and approval.
Students will need the following to complete the submission process:
▪ The thesis must be in .PDF format
▪ An abstract of the thesis
▪ Advisor’s name
▪ A subject category from a specific list provided by ProQuest
▪ Keyword subject terms
ProQuest Thesis Submission Site: http://dissertations.umi.com/cup/
Page 1 of 11
Direction for converting a Microsoft Word file into a .PDF file
1. From the Instructions page, click on <Word-to-PDF Conversion>.
2. Read the information on this page carefully before converting your thesis from
a Microsoft Word document to a .PDF file. To begin, click on <Browse>.
Page 2 of 11
3. A window will pop-up showing the files on your computer. Choose the file
containing your thesis and click <Open>.
4. Your file is now ready to be converted. Click on <Submit> to convert the file
When the conversion is complete, you will be notified by e-mail.
Page 3 of 11
Directions for submitting PDF file to ProQuest
The submission process includes creating an account, logging in to the system,
completing the author agreement, and uploading the relevant files and
information about your submission.
To begin the process, you will need to access the ProQuest Thesis Submission
1. Click on the <Start your submission> button.
Page 4 of 11
2. The first time you log-in, you must click on <Create a FREE account>.
3. Fill in the required fields and then click on <Sign up>.
An e-mail will be sent with your password.
Page 5 of 11
4. E-mail message received with password.
5. Enter the password and click <Log In>.
Page 6 of 11
6. Returning users will see this screen and enter their e-mail address &
password and then click on <Log In>.
7. You will be taken back to the Instructions page. Notice the Subject Category
link. Click on <Subject Category> to see the subject degree categories.
Page 7 of 11
8. On the Subject Categories page you will need to choose the most appropriate
subject(s) for your thesis. You must choose from the list provided.
9. Read the author agreement carefully and click on <Accept> to proceed to the
Page 8 of 11
10. Contact information --- fill in the required fields and click on <Continue>.
11. About Your Submission --- fill in the required fields and scroll down the page.
Page 9 of 11
12. Continue to fill in the required fields and scroll down to the bottom. The
abstract must match the signed copy submitted to the Graduate School.
13. After filling in all the required information, click on <Continue>.
Page 10 of 11
14. Upload your .PDF to ProQuest.
Click on <Browse> to view the files on your computer.
After choosing the appropriate file, click on <Continue> to complete the
Once the thesis is successfully uploaded, the Library Information Systems
Administrator will receive an e-mail indicating the availability of the file. A copy of
the .PDF will be downloaded to a local server and unzipped for public access.
Once the .PDF is available locally, the Technical Services Librarian will create a
catalog record in Pilot with the appropriate local subject headings to allow the
thesis to appear on the automatically generated list of electronic thesis available
via the Library’s Web page.
Page 11 of 11