Conference Debate Session II
IMS: The Future of Wired/Wireless Convergence?
May 18th 2006
Chairman, Managing Director
BDA China: telecom, media & technology
research and consulting services
• BDA provides research and consulting services to leading TMT firms and investors,
with a focus on China and emerging markets and technologies in Asia.
• Leading TMT consultancy in China. Founded in 1994. Team of 30 based in Beijing
(>22 professional staff). Covering China & North East Asia. Delhi office opening Q3.
• BDA has dedicated analysts organized around three sector groups:
Handsets/Devices Fixed Line & Wireless Internet/New Media
Equipment & Services
• BDA offers the following China-focused Research Advisory Services
What is IMS? IP Multimedia System. Promoted as a key
enabler of fixed-mobile convergence
• IMS promises to deliver:
– Enriched user experiences: communicate in real time with any combination of voice, video, messages
– Reduced CAPEX and OPEX: shorten new service creation time and reduce cost by integrated control.
Logic Logic Logic
Common Common Common Operator 3
Functions Functions Functions
Routing Routing Routing
Logic Logic Logic
Common Functions IMS
IP/MPLS PSTN Operator 2
Selected Global IMS deployments to date
• VOIP, IPTV, Triple play
• EVDO, Dual mode service
• VOIP, Video Conference, File Sharing, IM
• Widespread IMS deployment in 2006
• Video Sharing
• Phonebook service
• IMS customer in US via Spatial Wireless
IMS: Key questions for panellists
• Can IMS help incumbents fend off the challenge of
Internet pure-plays, and develop new enterprise
• Incomplete standards?
• Complex protocol stack?
• Backwards compatibility with current service
• Expense of upgrading legacy systems?
• Regulatory issues: How to enable lawful intercept
in an all-IP based network?