Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

Lancaster Student Support Network


									Lancaster Student Support Policy
Our Core Commitment
Lancaster University provides academic and welfare support which aids and
encourages all students to fulfil their academic and personal potential and to benefit
from University life. We have adopted a student-centred approach in which access to
high-quality support across a range of areas is provided by different agencies in a way
which best meets each student's individual circumstances and needs.

Specific Objectives
To provide high-quality student support on campus, in all of the following areas;
    Academic guidance to enable students to make well-informed choices.
    Access to a personal tutor for initial general advice.
    Access to a range of specialist advisors as needed.
    Support for personal and professional development.
    Financial advice as needed.
    Health care.
    Guidance on finding accommodation and advice on more general housing
    Provision of a safe living environment.

Reflecting our student-centred approach, we describe the implementation of the
support network from the perspective of students’ wide-ranging needs for support,
rather than from the providers' viewpoints. All new students are given a list of key
contacts, personalised to each college, in the form of a small card. The Appendix
contains a detailed description of the support network which will be included in the
set of key documents given to students on their arrival, for example the Essentials
Guide, departmental and college handbooks and available on the Student Support
Services website. Following this description is a list of offices and their main
Academic Support

Your first port of call for questions about your modules, degree scheme or thesis
should be your department. Your lecturer, year tutor or supervisor will be able to
answer most of these questions. They can also advise you on your academic progress.

            Registration: For questions about exam and course registration that
             can’t be dealt with by the department the Student Registry will be able
             to help you.
            Changing course: If you are thinking of changing modules or degree
             scheme you should first discuss this with your department and if you
             are thinking of suspending your studies the Intercalation adviser in the
             Student Support Services office will be able to help you. For
             postgraduates you should contact the postgraduate administrator in the
             Student Registry.
            Complaints: Always try to resolve complaints with your tutor or head
             of department. Complaints which are not resolved should then be
             directed to the Student Registry.
            Study-skills: If you feel you need extra help with study skills or
             English Language advice the Student Learning Development Centre
             offers workshops and one-to one support.
            Library and Computing questions: The Library and ISS have a joint
             help desk on the ground floor of the library for help with library or
             computing queries.

Advice and Welfare

Every Undergraduate student is allocated a College Tutor for the whole of their first
year studies. In subsequent years your major department will allocate you to either a
year tutor or a scheme tutor. Postgraduates do not have individual College Tutors but
the Graduate College has a Welfare Officer available by appointment through email
or telephone in Graduate College who offers general advice and signposts students to
specialist advisors. For postgraduates your programme director or supervisor will be
able to help you.

If you have general questions there are several sources of advice:

            College: Within your college you can contact your own personal
             College tutor or welfare officer and if they are not available the Senior
             College Tutor or College Administrator.
            Department: If you prefer to seek advice from your department your
             year/scheme tutor, supervisor or departmental office will offer
            Student Support Office: Student Support Services has a range of
             specialist advisors and appointments can be made by telephone or
            Students’ Union: LUSU has a Student Advice Centre housed within
             the Students’ Union Building which can deal with a range of enquiries.
            International students: the International Student Advice Service can
             help you with cultural advice and visa or immigration questions.
            Disabled students: advice and information on the disabled students
             allowance is available at the Disability Service. Students whose
             support needs have not been assessed can use our assessment centre.
            Counselling: The Counselling Service offers confidential individual
             consultations and group sessions. LUSU’s Nightline offers a
             confidential service that operates through the night in term time.
            Appeals: If you need support at an academic appeal your departmental
             tutor, supervisor, college tutor or LUSU advice centre can all offer
             advice and representation.

Careers and Employment

CEEC the Centre for Enterprise Employment and Careers is a place to visit early on
in your first year. They offer information, advice and guidance on career planning and
preparation for job applications and interviews and can help you find placements and
a wide range of paid work experience opportunities.

            Temporary work: LUSU’s Job Shop can help you find temporary
             employment opportunities.
            Volunteering: The Lancaster University Volunteering Unit, LUVU,
             has a range of different projects to give you work experience through
             voluntary work.
            Reflecting: Lancaster has developed an online support system
             MyPlace which allows you to reflect on and record your learning and
             development at Lancaster and prompts you to record your progress.
             You can then use this to construct your CV.

Financial Advice

If you need to discuss your finances there are three sources of specialist advice:

            Financial Services in Student Support can help with any issues to do
             with student funding, including Access to learning fund, bursaries,
             scholarships and opportunity funds and dealing with the Student Loan
            The LUSU Student Advice Centre can help advise you on benefits
             that you might be eligible for and have a qualified debt counsellor.
            Your College Office may be able to offer you small loans.
Health and Wellbeing

           Doctor: All students are required to register with a local GP. The
            Health Centre on campus offers surgeries Monday to Friday. The
            practice also has a surgery in King Street, Lancaster which may be
            more convenient if you live off campus.
           Nurse: The nurse-led unit is available to all students and staff.
           Pharmacy: The pharmacy is behind Bailrigg house.
           Dentist: A private dentist has a surgery behind Bailrigg house. (As it
            can be difficult to find an NHS dentist we suggest that if you are
            registered with an NHS dentist at home you stay with them. If you are
            not registered with an NHS dentist then the nurse-led unit offers advice
            on finding an NHS dentist and an emergency dental work number.)
           Mental health: A mental health advisor can be contacted via Student
           Sports centre: The University sports centre, Colleges and LUSU
            Athletic Union provide opportunities to take part in team and
            individual sports.
           Pre-School centre: Caters for children from 3 months to school age.

Residential Help
Your College residence officer can help sort out anything relating to your college
accommodation; for example, paying your rent, questions about your accommodation
contract, any problems or issues with your room, moving in and out, and repairs.

           Off-campus: If you are living off-campus LUSU Housing can help
            find accommodation and also acts as landlord for some off-campus
            houses. For advice on off-campus issues LUSU Advice will be able to
            assist you.


           Harassment: The University has a harassment network which can
            offer advice and support on all forms of harassment. The network
            contacts are listed in the telephone book and on the web.
           Security: Porters are on call to College residents for help with noise,
            lost keys and other emergencies. There is security cover 24/7 and
            Porters are on duty 24/7 in term time. There is a campus police officer
            and community support officer. In an emergency Security is available
            on 5-94541.

Spiritual Support
The Chaplaincy Centre welcomes people of all faiths and none. The centre offers
opportunities for worship, spiritual support and pastoral care. The Islamic community
welcomes people of all faiths and none to the Islamic Prayer Room.

Centre Enterprise Employment and Careers, Ground Floor University House 5-92746
Chaplaincy Centre 5-94071
Colleges and Residence Office, Ground Floor University House 5-93554
Counselling 5-92690
Dentist 5-94595
Health Centre 5-94130
Library and ISS help desk 5-92516/5-10190
LUSU (Advice Centre, Job-Shop, LUVU, Off-Campus Housing) Edward Roberts Court 5-93765
Nightline 5-94444
Pharmacy 5-94598
Pre-School Centre 5-94464
Security 5-94541
Sports Centre 5-94000
Student Learning Development Centre 5-92391
Student Support Office (Disability, Finance, Intercalation, International, Mental health) Ground Floor
University House 5-92010
Student Registry, Ground Floor University House 5-92140

This document was produced in consultation with the Quality Assurance Assessment--Student Support subgroup and LUSU.
Amanda Chetwynd

To top