UNIVERSIDADE FEDERAL DO CEARÁ S4
CASA DE CULTURA BRITÂNICA
TESTE DE NÍVEL – S4 – PERÍODO 2008.2
NOME DO CANDIDATO: ___________________________________ No. de inscrição:_____
PART I - READING COMPREHENSION - Read the following text and answer questions 1 to 10.
ANTARCTICA PENGUINS AFFECTED BY GLOBAL WARMING
NUSA DUA, Indonesia (Reuters) - Antarctica's more difficult for the young to survive, while the
penguin population has fallen because of global emperor penguin has seen some of its colonies be
warming as melting ice has destroyed nesting sites 30 reduced to half their original size over the past half a
and reduced their sources of food, a WWF report century. Warmer temperatures and stronger winds
5 said on Tuesday. The Antarctic peninsula is warming mean the penguins have to raise their chicks on
five times faster than the average in the rest of the increasingly thinner sea ice which tends to break off
world, affecting four penguin species - the emperor early while the wind blows away many eggs and
penguin (the largest and the grandest in the world), 35 chicks before they are able to survive on their own.
the gentoo, the chinstrap and the adelie, it said. Scientists have predicted that global
10 "The Antarctic penguins already have a long march temperatures could rise sharply this century, raising
behind them," Anna Reynolds, deputy director of world sea levels and bringing more extreme weather.
WWF's Global Climate Change Programme, said in a A 2005 study showed that most glaciers on the
statement at the Bali climate talks. "Now it seems 40 Antarctic peninsula were being reduced because of
these icons of the Antarctic will have to face an climate change - and the speed was rising. Scientists
15 extremely tough battle to adapt to the say that most of the rest of the ice on the giant
unprecedented rate of climate change." continent seems to be stable.
The report, "Antarctic Penguins and Climate "The food web of Antarctica, and
Change", said sea ice covered 40 per cent less area 45 consequently the survival of penguins and many
than it did 26 years ago off the West Antarctic other species, is bound up with the future of the
20 Peninsula, leading to a fall in stocks of krill, the sea ice," said James P. Leape, director general of
main source of food for the chinstrap and gentoo WWF International. "After this long march to Bali,
penguins. On the northwestern coast of the Antarctic ministers must now commit to sharp reductions in
peninsula, where warming has been the fastest, 50 carbon emissions for industrialized countries, to
populations of adelie penguins have dropped by 65 protect Antarctica and safeguard the health of the
25 percent over the past 25 years, it said. planet."
The number of chinstraps decreased by 30 to
66 percent in some colonies, as less food made it
Adapted from: Reuters Foundation at
I – UNDERSTANDING THE TEXT
1. The principal idea of the text above is to:
a) inform that ice in Antarctica is melting because of climate change.
b) report that penguins in Antarctica have adapted to higher temperatures.
c) report that the balance of the food web of Antarctica depends on the sea ice.
d) inform about the consequences of global warming for some of Antarctica‟s penguin populations.
2. Choose the INCORRECT alternative according to the text.
a) Global warming is leading to the melting of sea ice.
b) The emperor penguin is larger in size than the gentoo.
c) Antarctica has become warmer faster than the rest of the planet.
d) The higher temperatures in Antarctica have affected all the penguin species.
3. Choose the CORRECT alternative according to the text.
a) The number of emperor penguins in some colonies has dropped 50 per cent in the last 50 years.
b) Emperor penguin chicks can take care of themselves as soon as they leave the egg.
c) Bali is the place where carbon emissions will start to be drastically reduced.
d) Today there is more krill in Antarctica than before.
4. What does the text say about sea ice?
a) It is getting thinner because temperatures are warmer and winds are stronger.
b) It is not connected with the problems penguins are facing in Antarctica.
c) 26 years ago it covered 40 per cent less area in Antarctica.
d) It is the main source of food for penguins in Antarctica.
5. The pronoun „it‟ (line 09) refers to:
a) the Antarctic peninsula b) four penguin species c) a WWF report d) the adelie
6. The pronoun „it‟ (line 19) refers to:
a) climate change b) sea ice c) area d) report
7. The phrase „leading to‟ (line 20) means:
a) resulting in b) beginning in c) realizing for d) forcing on
8. The phrase „on their own‟ (line 35) means:
a) naturally b) alone c) safely d) lonely
9. The word „bound up‟ (line 46) means:
a) taken from b) found c) connected with d) certainly
10. The word „rise‟ (line 37) means:
a) go up b) go down c) go away d) go out
PART II – USE OF ENGLISH
For questions 11 to 20, choose the option that CORRECTLY completes the sentences.
11. My parents don‟t like my boyfriend, and __________ doesn‟t like __________ either.
a) he / their b) he / they c) he / them d) him / them
12. John: “Are there __________ pictures in the living room?” Mary: “No, but there are __________ books.”
a) many / any b) any / a lot of c) any / any d) much / some
13. John: “How often does she drive to work?” Mary: “_____________________________.”
a) Hardly ever she drives to work c) She doesn‟t never like driving to work
b) She drives very carefully to work d) She doesn‟t drive to work very often
14. John: “_____________________________?” Mary: “It‟s got three bedrooms, a living room and a kitchen.”
a) How many rooms does the house got c) How many rooms has the house got
b) How many rooms has got the house d) How many rooms does the house get
15. John: “Do you have plans for tomorrow night?” Mary: “Yes. Nick and I __________ dinner together.”
a) has b) are going to have c) are going d) are liking having
16. John: “Where __________ on your next holiday?” Mary: “To the mountains. I really need to relax.”
a) would you like to go b) would you like going c) do you like going d) do you like to go
17. Rio de Janeiro is one of __________ cities I know. There are __________ things to see and do there.
a) the more exciting / many c) the more exciting / a lot of
b) the most exciting / a lot of d) the most exciting / very
18. John: “How __________ do you often have for breakfast?” Mary: “__________.”
a) many fruits / Any b) many fruits / A lot of c) much fruit / Some d) much fruit / A lot of
19. John: “__________ you ever __________ to another country?” Jo: “Yeah, last year I __________ to Chile.”
a) Did / get / was b) Have / went / went c) Did / go / was d) Have / been / went
20. Paul and his wife, Lisa, have six children. They have to work very __________ to earn enough money to
give them all the __________.
a) hard / best b) hard / better c) hardly / best d) hardly / better
For questions 21 to 25, choose the INCORRECT option.
21. a) Could I to use the phone? c) Could I use the phone?
b) I‟d like to use the phone. d) Can I use the phone?
22. a) Jane‟s had a very nice vacation last year. c) We haven‟t talked a lot recently.
b) I‟ve never had sushi. Is it good? d) Jack‟s travelled to a lot of countries.
23. a) In our solar system, Neptune and Pluto are the furthest planets from the sun.
b) The worse time of year to visit Fortaleza is in January. It‟s too hot.
c) Which is better, going to the theatre or to the cinema?
d) London is one of the most expensive cities to live in.
24. a) Most Brazilian men hate helping with the housework.
b) My sister‟s children don‟t like eating vegetables.
c) What would you like getting for your birthday?
d) Women love going shopping with friends.
25. a) Jack never behaves badly in class. He‟s a very good student.
b) Angela is a very good driver but she often drives very fast.
c) I speak English slowly and my vocabulary is quite poor.
d) I like my new neighbours. They treat me so friend!
For questions 26 to 30, choose the option which has the same meaning and idea as the sentence in italics.
26. I‟d like to spend the weekend on the beach.
a) I like spending the weekend on the beach. c) I enjoy spending the weekend on the beach.
b) I want to spend the weekend on the beach. d) I like to spend the weekend on the beach.
27. Hector is the best cook I know.
a) I don‟t know any cooks better than Hector. c) Hector cooks better than all the other cooks.
b) Hector is the best of cooks. d) Hector can cook very well.
28. Kate has a great time when she goes out with her friends.
a) Kate‟s friends give her a lot of time when they go out together.
b) Kate and her friends spend a lot of time going out together.
c) Kate and her friends are great when they go out together.
d) Kate has a lot of fun when she goes out with her friends.
29. French women wear very stylish clothes.
a) French women don‟t know how to dress. c) French women dress very well.
b) French women buy old-fashioned clothes. d) French women dress better than other women.
30. Samantha usually prefers books to their film versions.
a) Samantha thinks books are usually better than their film versions.
b) Samantha doesn‟t like films very much. She prefers books.
c) Samantha reads books more often than she sees films.
d) Samantha thinks film versions are usually uninteresting.
For questions 31 to 40, follow the instructions.
31. Choose the option in which all the adjectives are related to same vocabulary topic.
a) cold / rainy / stylish / hot c) serious / aggressive / windy / cloudy
b) friendly / shy / outgoing / freezing d) friendly / quiet / aggressive / careful
32. Choose the option in which all the past participle verbs are CORRECTLY spelled.
a) brought / flown / drank / heard c) read / put / thought / lost
b) known / began / caught / said d) taken / found / swam / worn
33. Choose the option in which the suffix –ed of all the verbs is pronounced the same way as in „cried’.
a) watched / opened / crashed / repeated c) called / opened / closed / stayed
b) visited / planted / missed / locked d) walked / looked / wanted / checked
34. Choose the option where all the nouns could be preceded by the expression “How much”.
a) fruit / fish / meat / toast c) onions / fruits / wives / vegetables
b) coffee / food / chicken / man d) men / woman / child / chicken
35. Choose the option in which the suffix –ed of all the verbs is pronounced the same way as in „laughed’.
a) liked / stopped / wanted / finished c) needed / called / stayed / closed
b) kissed / lived / worked / intended d) watched / looked / washed / promised
36. Choose the option in which the suffix –s/-es of all the verbs is pronounced the same way as in „calls’.
a) needs / wants / asks / plays c) thinks / gets / closes / sees
b) tries / goes / changes / shows d) has / opens / comes / buys
37. Choose the option where the vowel sound in all the words is the same as in the word „took‟.
a) put / could / good b) food / book / look c) school / would / boot d) bull / fool / cook
38. Choose the option where all the words have the stress on the same syllable as in the word „dessert‟.
a) morning / water / dinner / moment c) away / ago / hotel / control
b) breakfast / business / windy / crowded d) jealous / concert / prefer / tonight
39. Choose the option where all the words are adverbs of manner.
a) hardly/fast/slow b) hard/fast/slow c) hard/fast/slowly d) hardly/fastly/slowly
40. Choose the option in which the underlined phrase/verb is CORRECTLY used in the sentence.
a) They have got breakfast at 7 a.m.
b) He never gets home before midnight.
c) We got a shower about three times a day when it‟s hot.
d) When I was in Santa Catarina, I got some very interesting places.
For questions 41 to 50, fill in the blanks with the appropriate word(s) and mark the CORRECT alternative.
Oprah Winfrey, America‟s number one talk show host, was born ______ (41) January 29th, 1954 and lived
with her grandmother on a small farm in Mississippi. They were very poor but Oprah ______ (42) how to read
when she was only three years old. In 1960 she went to live with her mother in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. She
eventually ______(43) away from home and went to live in Nashville with her father, who was very strict.
Her career ______(44) on WVOL radio in Nashville when she was 17. Two years ______ (45) she worked as a
newsreader for television stations in Nashville and then in Baltimore. Oprah was the first African-American
woman newsreader. In 1978, however, she ______(46) her true vocation when she co-hosted the Baltimore talk
show People Are Talking. She says, “It was like breathing to me. Like breathing. You just talk.”
Oprah‟s success is mainly due to her honesty and ability to reach out to her audience. She ______ (47)
people to reveal their own stories by telling ______(48) about her own experiences. ______(49) audiences trust
her; they see that she really likes ______(50).
(Adapted from Speak Up, Year XIX, No 233, pp. 6-7)
41. a) on b) in c) at d) from
42. a) learned b) has learned c) learning d) was learned
43. a) run b) ran c) has run d) has ran
44. a) has begun b) has began c) begun d) began
45. a) then b) later c) next d) once
46. a) has discovered b) is discovering c) discovered d) discover
47. a) doesn‟t encourages b) are encouraging c) encourages d) encouraging
48. a) them b) their c) theirs d) they
49. a) Theirs b) Her c) Their d) Hers
50. a) give help b) helps c) to helping d) helping