How to Use Your Lane ESD blog
• Lane ESD WeBlog! works best with Firefox (Mac or Windows) or Internet Explorer 6
• Safari (Mac) is not supported.
Login into your account
• Website to administer your blog: http://blog.lane.k12.or.us
• UserID is your email username, unless otherwise noted
• The default password is password and can be changed.
• After a successful login you will be at Manage Entries screen
• NOTE: if you enter the wrong userid or password, you will not get an error message!
Create a new entry
• Click button on the left
• If you have more than one blog, select the blog you want to post
• Type in a title in the Enter the title of this note: box.
• The blog will post the date automatically.
• Type in the content of your post in the space provided.
• You have formatting options on the toolbar as follows:
o Bold, underline, italic, strikethrough
o Left, center, right, and full justification
o Bulleted and numbered list
o Create a link
o Insert an image
o Format fonts and sizes
How to Use the Lane ESD WeBlog Page 1 of 6 3/20/2007
• Check the appropriate radio button if you want readers to write
respond with comments to this entry
o Type in desired password (if you want to require one for
o Requiring a password will prevent robots from posting
inappropriate materials to your blog.
• Click Post Entry to save your entry inside your blog on the
To View Your Blog
• Your journal will open in a new window.
Change Your Password
Now that you have created your first entry, it’s time to change your
password to your blog.
• Type in new password in text box provided
Customizing Your Blog: Name and Description
• Click to change:
o The Journal Title (title of your blog)
Add an image to the title area of your blog after you
select your theme and layout (see below).
o Type a description of your blog in the Journal Description
o Set auto archive options
o The comment settings
• Be sure to press Save Settings (button on bottom of page) to
Sample Blog Title and Description
How to Use the Lane ESD WeBlog Page 2 of 6 3/20/2007
Customizing Your Blog: Adding and Managing links
Your links will show up as a list on your blog. In this example, they are on the left hand side. The theme that you select will
determine the placement of your links. Themes are outlined in the next section.
Add a New Link
• Type in the Link Text as you want the link to appear
• Enter the correct URL for the Link URL. It’s recommended you copy and paste the URL from the Internet. Note that http://
is already included so be sure not to enter it a second time if you paste your URL into the box.
• Link Target is defaulted as “_blank” if you want the link to open in a new window.
• Click Add Link to post the link on your blog.
Delete a Link
Delete the text in Link Title and Link URL
Click Save Changes
How to Use the Lane ESD WeBlog Page 3 of 6 3/20/2007
Customizing Your Blog: Select a Theme
• Click on a theme to select it
• Click OK at the prompt
• The Colors and Fonts page will appear. Before making any
selections, click to see what your blog looks
like. Your blog will open in a new window.
• You can change colors and fonts by clicking the Colors and
NOTE: the color selection options may not work with your browser.
Make changes at your own risk.
Customizing Your Blog: Choose a Layout
There are a number of choices for your blog layout.
• Click the Radio Button next to desired layout
• Click at bottom of screen
How to Use the Lane ESD WeBlog Page 4 of 6 3/20/2007
Inserting Pictures: Part 1-Saving Files to the Blog
• Click on
• Click to find the file
• Select the file, and click
• You will then see your file in the list of Uploaded Images.
NOTE: This method can also be used for saving PDF and other files that
you want to post.
Inserting Pictures: Part 2-Inserting Images
and Posting File Links
As you add entries you have the option of including images.
• After clicking Add Entry, click the Choose Image icon
• When you see the list of your images, click the selection box next to
the image and then click
To create links to other file types (e.g. PDF):
• Click the Choose Image icon and copy the link to the file
that you want to link to
• To copy the link
o MAC – Hold the Control key down as you click on the selection,
o WIN – Right click on the selection, select Copy
• Close the My Pictures window
• Make sure that you are in the Rich Text/Visual Editor tab of the editing
• Type the words you want to link
• Highlight the words with your mouse
• Click on the Link button
• Paste the link
• Click OK
NOTE: You can paste in URLs if you want to create links to web sites.
How to Use the Lane ESD WeBlog Page 5 of 6 3/20/2007
To Add A Picture To Your Title Bar:
• Add an image to the title area of your blog—size it before uploading it! (Note: height should be no more than 150 to 200 pixels)
• NOTE: You may need to re-add your image after you change your theme
Manage Entries: Editing and Deleting Your Posts
• Click on the Title of the post to edit the entry.
• Edit desired contents
• Use the Delete, Reset or Save Changes button at the bottom of the page.
To delete a comment
• Scroll to bottom of screen to Manage Comments
• Click the box next to the comment to select it.
Manage Entries: Creating Additional Pages
Your blog is capable of having other pages. They will show up under the My Other Blogs section of your blog. To set this up,
you will have to create additional blogs.
• Name the blog when you are prompted
Be sure to select the blog that you want to post to when creating entries. To post:
• Select the blog that you want to post to from the drop down menu
How to Use the Lane ESD WeBlog Page 6 of 6 3/20/2007